Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help NeededQuestions

To Grade or Not to Grade - Wolverine 816868

Collector Jprez111 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey All,

I recently came into possession of this Wolverine 8. I’m relatively new with grading, and I wanted to tap the knowledge and opinions of this group on what you think this would come out as. Should I press if send in?

Thanks everyone.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I put it at around 8.0, but I definitely think pressing could help it. Won't fix the spine tics that break color but could flatten out the other issues and help it present better. Nice book!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Jprez111

The finger bend may press out. A cleaning will not fix the nearby finger print. Check the fair market value for sub-9.8’s and see if the cost and wait of pressing and grading is worth it to you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'd leave it as is. For the price of pressing and grading you'd be better off buying more comics.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks guys. Will do a bit more research with the cost-benefit. Appreciate the feedback, as always.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Buckets private msg quote post Address this user
Are those fingerprint smudges next to the finger indent? If so, pressing would not clean up those defects.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckets
Are those fingerprint smudges next to the finger indent? If so, pressing would not clean up those defects.

They look like smudging from what I'm seeing, but it could also be lighting on the indented part of the finger bend. Do you see the smudging, too, when you move the book to different lighting is the question.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It is a finger print/smudge. I haven’t tried wiping, but I think it’s color wear unfortunately.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Agreed, if it's a print/smudge, pressing won't fix that.
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't grade it with the fingerprint.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
On my cell ATM , unsure if there is a stain under the Hulk's foot or just bad/amateur color touch.

That and other defects already noted make this a book that should be sold raw.

Finger bends all over the FC/BC, some break color.
Color and non color breaking spine ticks,
Stain or amateur color touch under Hulk's heel.
1" + impact crease BC edge, breaks color.

Around a 7.0/7.5.

8.0 if pressed.

It's a newsstand, I'd note that in the title when listing, probably a $50 raw book.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson @flanders ???? Ok i'm still in training sooo why not? u think it would grade lower than 8.0? just looking at gocollect a 8.0 come in at 75$ which should cover the price of press,grade n shipping,no?? also i guessing the spine tic in question is by the price tag, and the fingerprint is by hulk waist. with a press i would have gave 9.0-9.2 what do you see that i'm missing. please help me learn
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
On my cell ATM , unsure if there is a stain under the Hulk's foot or just bad/amateur color touch.

That and other defects already noted make this a book that should be sold raw.

Finger bends all over the FC/BC, some break color.
Color and non color breaking spine ticks,
Stain or amateur color touch under Hulk's heel.
1" + impact crease BC edge, breaks color.

Around a 7.0/7.5.

8.0 if pressed.

It's a newsstand, I'd note that in the title when listing, probably a $50 raw book.
Ok i see what you see on the back, i count 4,5 top, spine tics plus the other stuff, that would drop to a 8.0??
Post 13 IP   flag post
It's a modern book. There is a stain at the Hulk's foot as mentioned above. That and the finger print are grade killers for me. There are several more posts explaining the why not. Do you really want to put in all that effort and time for an $85 book? If it's a keepsake, then forge ahead.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@DrWatson thanks for reply, let me ask this, if there was no other defects other than the stain at hulk foot and the fingerprint what would it grade?? again just trying to learn,Thanks
Post 15 IP   flag post
Part of the decision process will be what profit margin you want from the sale of this book. A lot (A Lot) of people want to see the potential for a $100+ profit before they'll think of sending a book in to be graded. I'm more in the $40 ~ $50 range. If it were my book, I would consider sending it in, but I would for sure take the cheapest option available (Modern [$16] + press [$12] = $28). Yeah, you won't get your book back before Hell is well and truly frozen over, but this is a classic book and there will always be interest in it; it's not a flash-in-the-pan book that will sell for pennies by the time you get it back. Add shipping and you'll still have a profit even if the book sells in the $80 ~ $100 range. You just won't get $100+ of profit.

Lots of factors to consider, and not everyone will have the same criteria. You just need to figure out what yours are going to be.

And for sure, like @DrWatson says, if the book is one you have a fondness for, then by all means slab it for safekeeping and just forget what anyone else says.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
i just sent one in myself
Post 17 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Part of the decision process will be what profit margin you want from the sale of this book. A lot (A Lot) of people want to see the potential for a $100+ profit before they'll think of sending a book in to be graded. I'm more in the $40 ~ $50 range. If it were my book, I would consider sending it in, but I would for sure take the cheapest option available (Modern [$16] + press [$12] = $28). Yeah, you won't get your book back before Hell is well and truly frozen over, but this is a classic book and there will always be interest in it; it's not a flash-in-the-pan book that will sell for pennies by the time you get it back. Add shipping and you'll still have a profit even if the book sells in the $80 ~ $100 range. You just won't get $100+ of profit.

Lots of factors to consider, and not everyone will have the same criteria. You just need to figure out what yours are going to be.

And for sure, like @DrWatson says, if the book is one you have a fondness for, then by all means slab it for safekeeping and just forget what anyone else says.

if he pays $16 to slab it and can resell it for $75 why not its well worth it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd

if he pays $16 to slab it and can resell it for $75 why not its well worth it.

It doesn't just cost $16. He has to pay for shipping there and back. Plus, he was also wanting it pressed. That's an additional fee on top of the $16 and the there and back again shipping.
Post 19 IP   flag post
i dont press comics ever
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Rinova private msg quote post Address this user
I sent 10 books in June 2021 and this one is included and status has not changed since it was received.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I would keep it raw. I am one of them guys that @Byrdibyrd mentioned. I really try to hit a FMV that will be over $100 most of the time. Sometimes I will send something in with less value if I feel it has potential to increase in value, or is really hot, or I feel real confident that it will get a 9.8.
@Jprez111 It can take years to really get good at judging books. Just keep practicing by looking at a lot of graded books on line and at comic book shows and also invest in the Overstreet grading book. It is a really good book.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Rinova private msg quote post Address this user
Since we are on the topic here are pictures of the one I sent, is it a dream to think it might be a NM grade? Also added pressing service for this one.

This one shows color break

This one show some color rubbed off

Post 23 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips Absolutely nothing wrong with having high standards! I can guarantee that I get more disappointments than you do because mine aren't on that level.

@Jprezz111 It takes a lot of practice to be skilled at grading books. The Overstreet Grading Book is a great way to start, just like @BrianGreensnips says. Also make sure to see as many graded books as you can in Realityland, like at your LCS or at comic book shows/conventions. Seeing pictures and videos of them are great, but that doesn't beat seeing them for real.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Rinova That Wolverine #8 is sweet! I'll let the pros answer as to grade, but I do see what looks like a tiny colour rub on the lower left corner FC, and on the BC there's a spine tick that breaks colour. Still, it's a better-looking copy than mine!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Rinova I give your book a 9.4

Scratch and color break back cover,
Slight color rub back cover on the spine side,
Bottom left corner slightly blunted.

Observe the color rub on your backing board.

It is still a very nice book though.

Just my 2 cents.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips I think that’s a fair grade. I was thinking 9.2/9.4 myself. Definitely a nice book!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Thanks all. Right now, I think I’ll keep it raw for the time being. Although this is for the personal collection, I do agree with cost-value analysis some of you mentioned. But that could change in the future. It’s always nice to have a comic slabbed, but not a necessity.

Good luck to the others!
Post 28 IP   flag post
598063 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?