Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Restoration and Conservation

Removing rust stains on paper?1684

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
So if I have it correct, restoration is ADDING something to a book to enhance its value, but removing such as cleaning is not restoration.

That said, if one has rust spots on paper that do not go all the way through, would it not be worth it to even have to grind away a bit at the paper in order to remove?

The cleaning and pressing guys I have talked to won't touch it. Any ideas? These pictures are two different books, decent value, so would Be worth getting rid of this

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Cleaning (using liquids) = restoration
(dry) cleaning (no liquids) = conservation

You may be able to dry clean but not something I would do myself
Post 2 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Dry cleaning rarely helps rust. I would imagine that has migrated through the paper and cannot be removed.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I guess my point is that because it does not go through the paper, it can be removed (although removal of paper would be required).

So what is better: a book with rust spots or a book with small indentations where the paper is thinner due to removal?
Post 4 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
It can be improved, if it has not migrated.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe just paint over the rust?

No, no - I kid. :-)
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Leave it as is; reduces grade and value, adds character.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Rust is permanent. One of THE worst faults a book of any kind can possess. Hence why they get pounded in grading.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Rust is permanent. One of THE worst faults a book of any kind can possess. Hence why they get pounded in grading.

I don't know about that. I think I'd rather have rust than loose / detached pages. Or ball-point scribbles on the cover. And color fades... I hate the look of a bleached out, browning comic. A few specks of rust wouldn't really bother me.

Or maybe you could use a laser to get rid of the rust? --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hEVHSJApNg
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot

I don't know about that. I think I'd rather have rust than loose / detached pages. Or ball-point scribbles on the cover. And color fades... I hate the look of a bleached out, browning comic. A few specks of rust wouldn't really bother me.

Or maybe you could use a laser to get rid of the rust? --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hEVHSJApNg

The laser does seem effective I'll give it that...
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'll try out that laser and let you know how it goes, great idea.

@villageidiot it actually does not count against grading that badly. I've seen old GA books with spots yet still in the 7s and plenty of themin the 6s. I would imagine one would need to use that laser to crack the 8-9s 😂
Post 11 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics by the way one of these books is sitting in your to-do pile for a clean and press. Its got plenty of other defects that I think your magic will work on 👌🏻😎
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Injurytoeye private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I'll try out that laser and let you know how it goes, great idea.

@villageidiot it actually does not count against grading that badly. I've seen old GA books with spots yet still in the 7s and plenty of themin the 6s. I would imagine one would need to use that laser to crack the 8-9s 😂

There's a difference between foxing and rust. Rust DOES count against the grade immensely, foxing not so much. What your seeing on those GA books is foxing, not rust.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I thought foxing was more blotchy and lighter colored (this stuff you can feel with your finger).

Although you may be correct as the graders notes on one of them does mention foxing but does not mention rust...
Post 14 IP   flag post
I believe foxing is dead mildew. If that's the case, maybe I'll try to find a worthless old book that has it and see what a damp Q-tip does 😬
Post 15 IP   flag post
Foxing is hit pretty hard. Rust migration and staining is hit very hard. Whoever can figure out a way to remove foxing is going to be a very rich person.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Huh ... I just had a look at the wikipedia page for foxing. They say you can get rid of it, with "greater or lesser success," by using certain bleaches, diluted hydrogen peroxide, and - get this - lasers.

I guess I wasn't being so tongue-in-cheek after all.
Post 17 IP   flag post
where do I get one of those bigass lasers...
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Huh ... I just had a look at the wikipedia page for foxing. They say you can get rid of it, with "greater or lesser success," by using certain bleaches, diluted hydrogen peroxide, and - get this - lasers.

Unfortunately all those would be considered restorative. The laser (depending on wavelength) could just be destructive.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:

Unfortunately all those would be considered restorative. The laser (depending on wavelength) could just be destructive.

The good news is, we got rid of ALL the foxing, every last bit. The bad news is, um ... well, the comics are gone, too.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:

If you want a restored book, go for it!
Post 21 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Get ya one of these, all these problems solved!

Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Is this foxing? If not, what is it? Can it be fixed? How bad does it affect grade?

Post 24 IP   flag post
I'd say dust shadow and/or oxidation.

http://comicbookgraphicdesign.com/comic-book-terms-dust-shadow/

http://www.ccspaper.com/feature_terminology.php
Post 25 IP   flag post
Common oxidation. Sun/dust shadow usually clearly outlines the book that was on top of it.

I would expect page quality is off-white or less on that book, otherwise I wouldnt expect this to affect the grade
Post 26 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics would a clean do anything for this Daredevil book?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Is this foxing? If not, what is it? Can it be fixed? How bad does it affect grade?

Looks like a combination of dust shadows and tanning. If you open the book and look at the inside part of the cover does it appear darker? If so that is tanning and it will take a hit on the grade. Same for the dust shadows, but not as severe.

Cleaning will help get off dirt and what is on the surface. If it does improve it, the difference will hardly be negligible.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Ok thank you
Post 29 IP   flag post
596798 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?