Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

1st IG LiveStream & Blind Mail Call by Scifinator16805

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Do I have the willpower ... to do a blind unboxing?

My one 2021 high tier submission is in shipping.

1-Day

Giant Size X-Men #1 [1974]
Marvel, Bronze Age

Rapid

Fantastic Four #48 [1966] Restored
Marvel, Silver Age
Silver Surfer #3 [1968]
Marvel, Silver Age
Silver Surfer #4 [1969]
Marvel, Silver Age

Quickstream

Fantastic Four #49 [1966]
Marvel, Silver Age

IF, If I say, I can withstand the temptation to peak at the grades in my dashboard, I will do a blind mailcall unboxing (FasTrak version of @WMorse style ).

I don't know if I can withstand it though. The only time I have done a blind unboxing was on a submission that CBCS shipped before it was marked completed on my dashboard.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Stay strong. I just had an order from last March (SAVE10 promo) hit shipping. I tend to be pleasantly surprised when I do a blind unboxing.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley - I don't know if I will be pleasantly surprised here.

The GSX-1 was an 8.5 in original cgc blue label that did not pass Press Screen.

The FF48 & FF49 were 9.0 & 5.5 Purple Labels respectively, so no telling where they will come back at. So I am a little apprehensive.
Post 3 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Do it up @Scifinator!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve never not looked at the grades. My latest order however I’m going to test my grading skills and wait to see the grades.
Good luck on the books @Scifinator
Post 5 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I'd watch it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Best of luck! Do what you gotta do!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector JSGM private msg quote post Address this user
I like the surprise aspect of unboxing. I never check the dashboard after they ship.
I'll even let the box sit for a day or two, while attempting to mentally change the grade using Grant Morrison's chaos magic technique. It hasn't worked yet..yet
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGM
I'll even let the box sit for a day or two,

@JSGM - Heresy!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
You will check the grades some time shortly after midnight tonight.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
You will check the grades some time shortly after midnight tonight.

@EbayMafia - Wrong answer, They haven't shipped yet, so no grades. Can't check
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Scifinator I was misled then by the original post. The booze will win out eventually. You won't make it through the weekend.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator evidently you're a bit apprehensive concerning a few books. I've seen many postings by a few claiming CBCS grades harsher or stricter than CGC. I tend to believe that CBCS grades more accurately. That being said....

Your going to have your books in just a few days, and checking the grades prior to arrival isn't going to change anything. Be patient, open the box, and see watcha got.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Hoping for at least an 8.5 on the GSX. Like I mentioned, it was original cgc label. Hoping that over a decade in the old slab acted like a press with no degradation. I suspected that the 48 Resto would not need a press, but the 49 resto was a color touch and did get pressed. It’s the GSX though. But over a decade in the old slab, it had to be re-holdered anyway. My risk is banking on at least an even grade with CBCS instead of re-holdering to cgc with possible newton rings or puddling.
Post 15 IP   flag post
BAM! And just like that, I have the "Completed" email from CBCS. Now begins the test of willpower not to look at my dashboard. What is going to make this even more difficult is that TX to SoCal shipping means I have to further wait past this weekend for a probable Mon/Tues delivery.

The Agony, the agony!
Post 16 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Waiting only increases stress. Why stress yourself? Unless it's extreme like a baby gender, does it really matter to take a look?
Post 17 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
I have looked everytime....it's almost impossible.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Waiting only increases stress. Why stress yourself? Unless it's extreme like a baby gender, does it really matter to take a look?

@Bronte - 'Nay, tempt me not to peek again.'
Post 19 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry.bad habit. I tend to err on tbe side of temptation by default
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Blind unboxing is always the way to go. Looking at grades on the dashboard is boring and anticlimactic.
Post 21 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t look
Post 22 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
I always blind unbox.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm gonna try and do it when my books come back....try my hardest.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Here is some more color as to my anxiety on this one submission. Besides the fact that it is my single highest value submission, it holds some real gambles, on my part, as illustrated below:

Giant Size X-Men #1 [1974] CGC 8.5 - As I had mentioned, this is an old style cgc blue label. I chose to have CBCS Press screen. It is possible that being encased for over a decade had in essence press out some creases. I did not want to re-holder and risk newton rings or damage from the new cgc Puddling phenomenon.
Hope 9.0
Happy 8.5
Crushed 8.0 or lower

Fantastic Four #48 [1966] cgc 9.0 Restored - Purple label. I chose to have CBCS Press screen but as it was professional Resto, would not be surprised with no press. My fear here is the obvious cgc overgrade syndrome, but hey, purple is still a distraction from even FF48 with giant Baby-Man on the cover.
Hope 9.0
Happy 8.5
Crushed 8.0 or lower

Fantastic Four #49 [1966] cgc 5.5 Restored - Purple label. I chose to have CBCS Press as this was an amateur color touch on the cover and I could see some easily visible pressable flaws. My fear here is that this was a cgc over-grade to me and not sure if press can make up for the over-grading.
Hope 6.0
Happy 5.0
Crushed 4.5 or lower

Silver Surfer #3 [1968] CBCS 7.0 - I will probably get some flak for this one. This one could be a waste of money and that is my fear. In looking at closely, it did not appear to have been pressed previously by @SteveRicketts. I have seen his Silver Age work, and this was not an example of such. My fear, I am not a Presser and maybe my eye was flawed and I just wasted over $150 for a Press and Re-Grae=de.
Hope 8.0
Happy 7.5
Disappointed 7.0
Crushed 6.5 or lower

Silver Surfer #4 [1969] @jesseaweiss pedigree est. 6.0-7.0 range - - This one I have no anxiety over, just excited and thankful to Jesse for selling it to me. My fear, if any, would be that my packaging was deficient and it was wrecked when it got to CBCS. It was beautiful and in great condition but there were some finger creases that the press should resolve.
Hope 7.5+
Happy 7.0
Disappointed 6.5
Crushed 6.0 or lower

Here are the photos:

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector JSGM private msg quote post Address this user
Nice books for sure. I like the suspense of going through the brick of books one by one. No joke, one time I high fived my wife out of excitement.

I do not high five.
Post 26 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
After waiting months I always look at grades as soon as I can. I feel I’ve waited long enough. If you can wait it out I imagine it’ll make the unboxing more exciting.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
After waiting months I always look at grades as soon as I can.

Same.
Post 28 IP   flag post
My last submission from back in May was a tragedy. A bunch of modern books that I rushed into grading, didn't get pressed or anything. Just kind of crossed my fingers and that a couple of them would work out. But I got what I had coming to me. Turns out I was mining for gold on the wrong land. Books that only justified slabbing at 9.4 and above all came back at 9.2 and below. Long story short, it was good that I looked at the grades beforehand because I never opened that box. When it arrived I just took off the label, put on a new label for MCS and took it down to the post office.
Post 29 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 30 IP   flag post
601505 59 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?