Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original Artwork

Cool original artwork16802

Collector espo610 private msg quote post Address this user
Many, many years ago i worked part-time for a comic book shop and I helped on weekend setting up for shows. I met Alex Saviuk. He was signing autographs and I asked him for something I had thought of, and would look really cool. So he agreed. This is the result

what do y'all think of it?
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@espo610 Awesome!! Thanks for sharing!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Only cool artwork is a simple drawing of Ren made by original “Ren and Stimpy” artist Bob Camp. Have it with my Space Madness print (also signed him) might get a Stimpy sketch next time I see him

Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@espo610 That is fantastic! What a shame that Alex Saviuk is such an underrated artist.

@power_struggle55 Dude, those are INSANE!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
Met Saviuk at baltimore comiccon last year and picked up a bunch of his prints from unreleased symbiote spiderman covers he drew, and ended up talking to him for a while. Super nice guy and one of those artists that likes to share like behind the scenes kind of info about what went on when he was working on certain books or series etc.

Ended up spending a good bit at his booth, always like to support not only a great artist but also someone who's just cool to talk to and worked on amazing books.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@espo610 That is fantastic! What a shame that Alex Saviuk is such an underrated artist.

@power_struggle55 Dude, those are INSANE!

yeah, got them at a convention I go to usually every june (obviously not in last 2 years). He is a regular. he is pretty cool to meet. really nice.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@espo610

Great idea you came up with. I may be in the minority here, but I think like the black suit better.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Al Williamson daily for Secret Agent Corrigan (continuation of Dashiell Hammett and Alex Raymond's Secret Agent X-9 strip). Archie Goodwin wrote and Al drew the strip between '67 and '79...

Unsolicited, I'd given Al one of my illustrations at a 70's convention as a big fan of his EC work from the 1950's. He was apparently moved by the gesture and requested my home contact information to send me something. I was in shock when one of his Corrigan original strips arrived in the mail!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
How about the original concept art for Detective 998 from Doug Mahnke:

PDG

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector espo610 private msg quote post Address this user
well, i appreciate all the comments. I just found another item to share... this is an original pane from a Spider-Man comic. I was told it might be valuable since it is (or at least was at the time, may not be true now) the only time where Peter in street clothes AND Spider-Man in costume appear on the same page. I also have the actual comic, which is cool.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
I had Alex Saviuk sketch a Man-Thing for me a few years ago. Knocked it out of the park. One of my favorite sketches. Agreed he’s a super nice guy also.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo610
well, i appreciate all the comments. I just found another item to share... this is an original pane from a Spider-Man comic. I was told it might be valuable since it is (or at least was at the time, may not be true now) the only time where Peter in street clothes AND Spider-Man in costume appear on the same page. I also have the actual comic, which is cool.

Yes that’s a great sketch. Also that pages is great! ASM 133?? Ross Andru and it is worth quite a bit. Thanks for showing us.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Alex Saviuk is underrated. He's done a ton of Spidey stuff and he's an afterthought. Why? I haven't a clue. He's rock solid and his panels flow.

This is how one should cliff-hang a comic (Web of Spider-Man 87).

Post 13 IP   flag post
@Towmater Just those three panels have a nice cinematic flow. You can practically see the camera pan around the 180 from the first panel to the second and continuing to a full 360 for a close-up on Hobgoblin. So cool.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Went on an archaeological dig and found some art from Ye Olden Dayes.

Here's a completed cover for an issue of Love and Rockets that was never used. Too bad, because it's a cute piece.

Remaining on the issue of covers, this is Charles Vess' concept art for the cover of Web of Spider-Man #26. I'll confess to being fond of the pose that he ended up not using.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Towmater Just those three panels have a nice cinematic flow. You can practically see the camera pan around the 180 from the first panel to the second and continuing to a full 360 for a close-up on Hobgoblin. So cool.

Not only that but both Spidey and Hobgoblin are in all three panels. Also, it is flashy without going over the top. In my book, it is an example of a perfectly drawn comic book page.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Not only that but both Spidey and Hobgoblin are in all three panels. Also, it is flashy without going over the top. In my book, it is an example of a perfectly drawn comic book page.

True. So well done. I would love to meet the guy and see if he has original art for sale.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

True. So well done. I would love to meet the guy and see if he has original art for sale.

Saviuk had OG Spidey newspaper strips for sale when I met him. Still kicking myself for not buying any.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TellEmSteveDave
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Saviuk had OG Spidey newspaper strips for sale when I met him. Still kicking myself for not buying any.

He's still got some and selling them (at least as of last Summer).
Post 19 IP   flag post
600783 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?