Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 202216788

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Just be pleasant and polite. If the dealer comes across as a jerk from the start, then just say, "Thank you for your time." and leave. Hulk 1s are hard to come by, so there may not be many in the room. Most trades I've seen are a combination of books and cash.
Post 201 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah. I am extremely cash poor so I need to be heavy in the trade. So I'm thinking I might need to go a bit higher than his value to make it worth while on his end.
Post 202 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Is it time for me to send my cgc qualified copy in? I'm mainly concerned about the value for insurance purposes if anything happens and how they would handle a claim with a qualified grade.

clickable text

Post 203 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson

BTW. Thank you for taking the time to respond
Post 204 IP   flag post
@flanders

There is no time like the present. You figure it is only going to go up in value. Might as well do it now. If you do registered mail and pack it bomb proof style you should be safe.
Post 205 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte be prepared to leave a phone number and walk away without a deal initially. If a dealer has more than one copy of Hulk 1, that's probably a better shot than a dealer with just one copy.
Post 206 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@DrWatson

No problem. If I could find the dealer list for MegaCon, I could tell you who might be more than likely to have a copy.
Post 207 IP   flag post
Collector JMBrandt private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoes10
I picked up this book the other day and need some help.

I know that the top signature is Casey Parsons, but it the second signature - J. M. Brandt?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

That is my signature. We signed that at the Wicked Monkey Comics booth at NYCC 2021.
Post 208 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
@DrWatson

No problem. If I could find the dealer list for MegaCon, I could tell you who might be more than likely to have a copy.

Does the floor plan generally include dealer information? They stated that 14 days prior to the convention they will announce floor plan
Post 209 IP   flag post
Yes, Dealer name and then a booth number. Booth number corresponds to aisle number. That said, I've only been once since FanExpo took over the show.
Post 210 IP   flag post
Ok. When they post the map, I'll let you know if that's ok?
Post 211 IP   flag post
No problem. Three of the friendlier options that might have one would be Dale Roberts Comics, New Force Comics, and Bedrock City (if they attend). Filter81 might have a copy, but I can't remember the name of Adam's store (booth). High Grade Comics (Bob Storms) might have one, but he's a not quite as friendly option. Greg Reece is pretty nice. Superworld (Ted)or Haley Yee might have one as well. Plus, there is always the person you don't expect that could have one on their wall. Guys that might be more local like Cedar Chest Comics, if they attend.
Post 212 IP   flag post
Harley yee? Is that the Overstreet advisor?

I bought a detective comics 168 back in the day from him and he refunded my money without so much as an apology or explanation. =(

Edit

It was on his website
Post 213 IP   flag post
Yknow my brother brought up a very good point. If I know if the dealers are going to be there, I can contact them ahead of time to see if they have a copy and what grade it's in. That way I know what to bring and such....
Post 214 IP   flag post
Yes. You can swing a cat at a convention and hit an Overstreet advisor. He probable couldn't find or sold it at a show and forgot to remove it from his inventory.
Post 215 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So for those of you that successfully traded for books at a convention, how does it work? For example, I want to trade some books for a hulk 1. If the vendor is selling a copy for 25k, do I need to show up with 25k worth of comics or do I need more than that? I understand that books need to be in demand, so books I would be using for trade are decent silver age keys like batman 121 cgc 6.0 and batman 181 8.5 hulk 181 9.0 etc.... nothing really under a grand in value on the books unless his copy is some grade higher than I anticipated and I'm desperate I might have some 1k books. But I plan to bring along a lot of keys just in case.

Also. What fo think about pence book values? I have a TOS 39 1.5 CGC pence copy. A normal copy is selling for almost 7500$ what do you think a fair value on that would be?

When selling books comic book dealers pay anywhere from 30-50% in $$$

Obviously for trade the percentage should be higher then 50%

It will depend on the dealer and if they have not much in the Hulk they may not be interested in trade and prefer bragging ownership.
Also depends if you've had a history as a customer on how good a deal you get.

I've done tons of trades but nothing in the value of a hulk.

Last one was for Superman 7

Had a undercopy of X-Men 94 in cbcs 4.0.
Put out feelers here to sell and the highest offer was around $350

Superman 7 2.0 was priced $900
Comic dealer gave me a nice $500 trade for my X-Men so I had to pony up $400 cash.
The X-Men cost me $80 originally so $480 all in for single digit Superman is a ok for me.

But I've bought a lot so that was why I got a good trade for X-Men and there are easy buyers for that.

Hulk 1 is a rare book and really sought after so they may not be interested in a trade if no cash is used.

Good luck and let us know how you got on.

Be polite and negotiate.
And if not happy with the trade just respectfully decline and tell them good luck for the rest of the show 👍
Post 216 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
When buying a hulk 1, always check the spine for black magic marker, it was common back in the seventies and eighties to run a sharpie down the spine on that book. Good luck, happy hunting, and be prepared to deal pretty hard to get one.....even a 3.0 anymore is hovering close to 25k and not getting cheaper anytime soon.
Post 217 IP   flag post
What's that circle thing to the right of the numerical grade? I can't read it.

Post 218 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson The Oregon Coast Collection.
Post 219 IP   flag post
“ This book came from the Oregon Coast Collection, which is an exclusive label of TRL Comics, an online collectibles company owned by comics restorer Susan Cicconi and Orrin Zucker. The lot of books originates from a long-time collector in Oregon who was looking to retire. He contacted Cicconi through an ad for her restoration services about his books, and later partnered with her company to manage the sale of the collection.”
Post 220 IP   flag post
Many thanks.
Post 221 IP   flag post
No problem! 👍
Post 222 IP   flag post
@southerncross

So when trading for the book I am expecting less than say 80% of my value on books? While I can understand that if I were selling for cash, trading wise you take a huge hit right from the beginning?

@Darkseid_of_town

I don't grade very well. There is no way I'm buying a raw copy. I'm aiming for a blue label. Can't do purple and green depends on what the reason is.
Post 223 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte good luck mate, keep us informed how you got on. 👍
Post 224 IP   flag post
Does anybody know if mycomicshop.com does trades? They have 2 copies of hulk 1 on their site. If they accept trades both are in reach if they accept trades....
Post 225 IP   flag post
I have no idea. You would need to email them and ask. I would imagine that it would matter if they are consignments or not.
Post 226 IP   flag post
Just found answer. No to trades on consignments. Which both books are. =(

I did email them a bunch of questions. If they offer enough, I might just sell the book out right to get it.

Depending on how they answer, the question is do I go for the signed 3.0 or a universal 1.5?
Post 227 IP   flag post
Instead of selling the books to them, could you get more by selling them on their site and using the credit to purchase?
Post 228 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user

Post 229 IP   flag post
@DrWatson

Depending on their answer I might do that. I literally have about 5k in books I just sent to them fir consignment. I kinda want to have the option of going to Orlando as well though. I can't do both unless I start selling some of my core books, which I would prefer not to. I suppose everything hinges on their response. We shall see. But as my brother stated earlier, be prepared for disappointment. So don't get your hopes up too high without all tbe fscts...
Post 230 IP   flag post
601450 999 30