Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Baking soda doesn't mask odor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Fantastic news. Thank you for the update.

Yeah and cheap too. I can do all 10 books I have for less than 10.00 and still have the baking soda lol....
The main issue is you are just masking the smell, not removing it, and it will likely return and worse...from my experience
of course it doesnt....but it also does not remove the CAUSE of the odor, it just absorbs the odor while its present until it is removed...and then in many cases it will return, effectively creating the same effect as MASKING the odor as I said. Semantics are fun, but regardless, the baking soda will likely only temporarily remove the smell. Micro chamber can be left in the book indefinitely performing the role....it used to be part of the slabbing process at least for books at CGC I have had done. Unsure if it is still
MCS adds micro chamber to larger ticket raw books they sell generally as well.

No, it does in fact chemically neutralize the source of odors. Has to be used properly and an open box of baking soda is not the best way (surface area and all that).

I strongly prefer activated charcoal per my post above. It is more effective.

But baking soda does not mask odors. Masking an odor is to cover up with another odor. Completely different and not merely semantics.
A box of baking soda does not remove mold or other odors that might be locked within the paper fibers. It has no way to penetrate inside and do so..as your own post refers to. Baking soda cannot neutralize all sources for all odors however...it simply absorbs them while present. Once removed the problem returns....the odors were simply removed temporarily. The odor can and does often return in comics....to me that is semantics......or splitting hairs. End of the day, the solution is often temporary and the worse it is, the more temporary.
Post 726 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I noticed today bitcoin had tumbled down to almost 20,000 and was somewhat stunned...it lost a third of its value in like the last week or so? Did I see that right?
Post 727 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town

Post 728 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I noticed today bitcoin had tumbled down to almost 20,000 and was somewhat stunned...it lost a third of its value in like the last week or so? Did I see that right?
I bought a few different cryptos in early 2019. No more than $5 each just to test the waters while PayPal was not charging transaction fees up to a certain amount. I waited and watched. Bitcoin was the most steady of all. Lite coin and the others dramatically increased and dropped day by day and hour by hour. I sold and bought between my investments as I was watching the trends. It was interesting. I cashed out before PayPals promo ended I was plus $0.46 in litecoin😂 only being able to withdraw in $1.00 increments it is still invested and has the lowest drop percentage currently at 1.47% leaving me with $0.17 after all of the previous drops, but give that a minute it will rise or drop 1-3%🤣
Post 729 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Baking soda doesn't mask odor.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:
Fantastic news. Thank you for the update.

Yeah and cheap too. I can do all 10 books I have for less than 10.00 and still have the baking soda lol....
The main issue is you are just masking the smell, not removing it, and it will likely return and worse...from my experience
of course it doesnt....but it also does not remove the CAUSE of the odor, it just absorbs the odor while its present until it is removed...and then in many cases it will return, effectively creating the same effect as MASKING the odor as I said. Semantics are fun, but regardless, the baking soda will likely only temporarily remove the smell. Micro chamber can be left in the book indefinitely performing the role....it used to be part of the slabbing process at least for books at CGC I have had done. Unsure if it is still
MCS adds micro chamber to larger ticket raw books they sell generally as well.

No, it does in fact chemically neutralize the source of odors. Has to be used properly and an open box of baking soda is not the best way (surface area and all that).

I strongly prefer activated charcoal per my post above. It is more effective.

But baking soda does not mask odors. Masking an odor is to cover up with another odor. Completely different and not merely semantics.
A box of baking soda does not remove mold or other odors that might be locked within the paper fibers. It has no way to penetrate inside and do so..as your own post refers to. Baking soda cannot neutralize all sources for all odors however...it simply absorbs them while present. Once removed the problem returns....the odors were simply removed temporarily. The odor can and does often return in comics....to me that is semantics......or splitting hairs. End of the day, the solution is often temporary and the worse it is, the more temporary.

Agree to disagree. I will say that the time required to remove most embedded odors is much longer than a day or two. I would use the method for a much longer period of time. Depends how embedded.
Post 730 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I’ve held a crypto portfolio for a while. Long enough that my modest original amount became… a decent amount. I had awareness of bitcoin when -any- investment would have been worth an obscene amount but transacting wasn’t on my “to do” list.

The recent moves come as no surprise. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but crypto is the sincerest form of speculation. Despite my clear cynicism towards its value I kept (and will keep it) as a hedge.
Post 731 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I have a $120 credit with CBCS between my membership coupons and rewards points that expire July 1st. I plan on using the Express tier this week and was planning on sending the following books. Is it worth it to send these in or should I just use the regular tiers instead and send in a much larger submission? I plan on selling all of these:

Comic Book Guy the Comic #1 w/9.8 grade screen
Earthworm Jim #1 w/9.8 grade screen
Spawn #122 9.8 grade screen
Fantastic Four #186 9.2-9.6 range no grade screen
Spawn #9 9.8 grade screen
Post 732 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If the books do not have speculation hype or are time sensitive, I would opt for the larger submission. In theory, at some point TAT will reduce and they should get graded given more graders and such. If you are patient it could be worth it in tbeing run.
Post 733 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte thanks for the advice. It makes much more sense to use the regular tier. That way I can send a few more books in with a FMV of $125 to $250. If they're ready in less than 9 months I'll be happy. I think the turnaround time is 45 weeks at this time. Who knows if that'll get better or worse.
Post 734 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders

From what I've read, customer service is beginning to answer calls and emails. The graders that borock trained should be let loose soon or already loose. Although cbcs has a ways to go, I would imagine things getting better from here not worse.
Post 735 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
I had a question about my submission and they got back to me right away, so that's hopeful. Bad part being the TAT I was given was 9 months when it was more like 6 when I submitted...but oh well.

Now for those that buy collections...given the recent price drops, where do you need to be on a collection for a purchase in today's market? I found a collector looking to sell around 15 long boxes full of silver-modern. About 4 long boxes of ASM including a lot of silver and keys. Going to look at it this weekend...seller doesn't have a price. But had hinted he's had multiple people look at it and no bites yet. The silver books I saw in pics were in amazing shape, from ASM 6 and on - looks like a lot of the run is filled in, including first apps of rhino, mysterio, kingpin etc. This would be my first big purchase if I can reach a deal with him. Upside is I have a good bit of contact with my LCS owner and he may be interested in splitting the price with me and taking the majority of the collection(tons of other great books in there including silver xmen) and I'd take all of the spidey and venom related books.
Post 736 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
I had a question about my submission and they got back to me right away, so that's hopeful. Bad part being the TAT I was given was 9 months when it was more like 6 when I submitted...but oh well.

Now for those that buy collections...given the recent price drops, where do you need to be on a collection for a purchase in today's market? I found a collector looking to sell around 15 long boxes full of silver-modern. About 4 long boxes of ASM including a lot of silver and keys. Going to look at it this weekend...seller doesn't have a price. But had hinted he's had multiple people look at it and no bites yet. The silver books I saw in pics were in amazing shape, from ASM 6 and on - looks like a lot of the run is filled in, including first apps of rhino, mysterio, kingpin etc. This would be my first big purchase if I can reach a deal with him. Upside is I have a good bit of contact with my LCS owner and he may be interested in splitting the price with me and taking the majority of the collection(tons of other great books in there including silver xmen) and I'd take all of the spidey and venom related books.

All I buy is collections and I haven't changed the way I buy them even with the market highs and lows. I only buy a collection if I feel comfortable with the price.

If I know that I can take some cool books for myself and then sell the rest and make a few bucks I pull the trigger. I can usually tell by the pictures in the ad if I can do that or not.
I have bought collections that the people said they offered to dealers / comic shops and they didn't even want to bother with it. One of them I paid $500 for and have already made back over 6K and kept about 300 books.

So bottom line for me is if I know I can't at least break even on what I am paying for the collection I will pass.
Post 737 IP   flag post
@MutantMania this collection will be at least 5k purchase price and that's probably being conservative. If the silver xmen are in the same condition as the ASM I could see the collection being worth close to 20k, possibly more depending what else is in there. I'd definitely be cherrypicking some issues to send off for grading for my PC, and probably some to grade to sell. I've bought a couple smaller collections for like a couple hundred but this would be by far my biggest single purchase.
Post 738 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
@MutantMania this collection will be at least 5k purchase price and that's probably being conservative. If the silver xmen are in the same condition as the ASM I could see the collection being worth close to 20k, possibly more depending what else is in there. I'd definitely be cherrypicking some issues to send off for grading for my PC, and probably some to grade to sell. I've bought a couple smaller collections for like a couple hundred but this would be by far my biggest single purchase.

Sounds like it could be an awesome deal Well if you need an investor let me know...I have cash

I think the most I have spent to date was on a 7000+ collection which I paid $2500 for. The smallest and most expensive was for 6 books which I paid $600 for but it included a Stan Lee signed Edge of Spider-Verse 2 and a CGC 9.6 Sandman 18 with the blue page error

Back in the day it seems they were easier to come by than now but I still get lucky every once in a while.
Post 739 IP   flag post
Collections I usually see for sale aren't anywhere near as expensive, but are usually like 90% drek. This collection seems to be pretty much all popular series that would be easy sales. Seems he got lucky and happened to collect a lot of runs that turned out to be more popular characters.
Post 740 IP   flag post
What's with all the forum suspensions? In college I took a class on social psychology and the professor mentioned that people get far more irritated in the summer months due to the heat and are more likely to be violent or in this case more aggressive while punching the keys on their keyboards. Any other ideas?
Post 741 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
What's with all the forum suspensions? In college I took a class on social psychology and the professor mentioned that people get far more irritated in the summer months due to the heat and are likely to be violent or in this case more aggressive while punching the keys on their keyboards. Any other ideas?
I'm not sure. I was super cute and mad last night and somehow managed to avoid it. I guess since we can't talk face to face text gets skewed?
Post 742 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:
What's with all the forum suspensions? In college I took a class on social psychology and the professor mentioned that people get far more irritated in the summer months due to the heat and are likely to be violent or in this case more aggressive while punching the keys on their keyboards. Any other ideas?
I'm not sure. I was super cute and mad last night and somehow managed to avoid it. I guess since we can't talk face to face text gets skewed?

Dude got really bent about someone figuring out the purchase price for the book. I always get a laugh when someone gets a book at auction and then ask what it’s worth. Apparently, to anyone actually interested in buying it, it’s worth a little less than you paid for it.
Post 743 IP   flag post
People are more entitled now than ever before, please and thank you are no longer mandatory. It's immediate gratification and the customer is always right. (They aren't)

Look at chik Fila. They actually have classes on how to be courteous to their guests. This stuff used to be taught in tbe home. Treating others with respect and compassion used to be the norm. Now it's an after though if you get what you want....
Post 744 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I always get a laugh when someone gets a book at auction and then ask what it’s worth

You mean there's a better way! I always make my best purchases with no research.

Post 745 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

It thought you were acting a little bit like HeinztheBrave myself.
Post 746 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:

It thought you were acting a little bit like HeinztheBrave myself.
Nah man, that was me. I own what I said and I meant it. That includes the part about, it wasn't a personal attack on amigos.
Post 747 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I always get a laugh when someone gets a book at auction and then ask what it’s worth

You mean there's a better way! I always make my best purchases with no research.

Troy McClure and Dr. Nick Riviera... two of the best Simpsons characters ever!!
Post 748 IP   flag post
Quote:
People are more entitled now than ever before, please and thank you are no longer mandatory. It's immediate gratification and the customer is always right

lol, you could be talking about the guy in the TAT's thread who said he's left 5 messages since his books went into "ready to ship"?
Post 749 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

I must have missed that one. But yeah, I think that would be the kind of behavior I'm describing.

It amazes me these folks got out of diapers and can sustain themselves in the real world. Maybe I'm really old, but I really hate the way the world has "progressed" these last decade or so. It's like stupidity is a disease that is running rampant no end in sight....
Post 750 IP   flag post
@Bronte if I may wax a bit philosophical: It's all about the ratio relationship between journey and destination. Consider that the effect of technology and progress is to reduce the journey, allowing you to reach more destinations (physically, but also symbolically). With progress, the destination we want to reach comes easier and quicker. Whether it be traveling across the country, finding an answer to a question, getting a meal or completing a collection. People who order dinner from Post Mates have no way of relating to grandma spending 3 hours preparing the family dinner and jarring foods in the summer for consumption in the winter. You and I have no way of relating to a covered wagon taking 3 months to cross the country with family members dying on the way. We get on an airplane and arrive 5 hours later. So each generation is conditioned to expect a shorter journey and quicker arrival at the destination. That's how we get the "I want it now" mentality.
Post 751 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

You make an excellent point. And that addresses one issue. I suppose given enough thought it might explain bad behavior as well. I guess I'm just tired of people being rude to each other. As stupid as it sounds, can't we all just get along?

I just read a post about cgc in the other thread and a guy just posted a bunch of laughter to mock a guy commenting on how the orders are still taking longer. Was that really necessary? After explaining yourself your point was made, why diminish your point by being a jerk? Sadly this is our world.
Post 752 IP   flag post
Collector Whammykablam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
People are more entitled now than ever before, please and thank you are no longer mandatory. It's immediate gratification and the customer is always right. (They aren't)

The entire quote is "The customer is always right in matters of taste," which give it an entirely different meaning that the one it was co-opted for.
Post 753 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Look at chik Fila. They actually have classes on how to be courteous to their guests. This stuff used to be taught in tbe home. Treating others with respect and compassion used to be the norm. Now it's an after though if you get what you want....
I had a customer argue with me over something that clearly did not qualify for their.. um “demands”. He said “the customer is always right!” Without skipping a beat (and not thinking because I had enough of this bologna) I said “not always”. It did not turn out well, but 7 years later I still a job😂
Post 754 IP   flag post
When I am edging the lawn and a wolf spider scurries out; is it wrong that I do my damnedest to destroy that nasty thing with the weed eater?
Post 755 IP   flag post
597868 999 30