Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 202216788

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Reading comics online.
Found a site appears to be free. Doesn't have everything, but it does have quite a few books. Just read captain carter up to book 3. And they look like they have a long run of young avengers

https://viewcomics.me/
Post 701 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Readallcomics.com seems to have just about everything in their archives.
Post 702 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson

Thank you
Post 703 IP   flag post
Does torpedo comics have a reputation for accurate grading?
Post 704 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in Dallas until Saturday or Sunday. Can anyone recommend a good comic shop? Ideally ones with a good selection of Silver and Gold (or at least Bronze).
Post 705 IP   flag post

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Does torpedo comics have a reputation for accurate grading?

Not sure, I did buy this book at their Vegas store during my 30 day road trip last month on FCBD.
It was graded as a VF.
The sales clerk who pulled the book down from the wall made a comment it was VF as she saw the grade at the back of the backing board.

You can see the wrinkling along the spine of this square bound book.
I bought it because a Bunny for $30 I thought why not.
Even a couple of full points off.

If I can remember when I get home I'll take a pic out of the mylar.
Post 706 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

If you're going to buy a pricier book.
Always ask them to email you a scan. šŸ‘
Post 707 IP   flag post
It was a pretty cheap book and they did have photos. But honestly unless it has glaring defects I am not good at spotting minute flaws. I need to just stick with mycomicshop.com but unfortunately their inventory isn't all inclusive..... sometimes I take tbe ebay risk.....
Post 708 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross This is an excellent candidate for pressing....
Post 709 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Itā€™s so clean I would bet it was never sold or read. Probably all storage, shipping and display issues. Doesnā€™t look like wear so much as damage. Pressing has definitely created a new market for books like thatā€¦assuming they are valuable enough to press.
Post 710 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Itā€™s so clean I would bet it was never sold or read. Probably all storage, shipping and display issues. Doesnā€™t look like wear so much as damage. Pressing has definitely created a new market for books like thatā€¦assuming they are valuable enough to press.

Value is not there to pay someone to do a press

If I ever join the t-shirt pressing brigade then sure šŸ˜ƒ
Post 711 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
An observation that I never really noticed before about the FF....or maybe I forgot that I knew this once.

The Thing = Earth
Mr. Fantastic = Water
Invisible Girl = Air
The Human Torch = Fire

Not sure this is meaningful in any way but just a different perspective of the FF to me.
Post 712 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:
If you wouldn't mind, please let us know if that works.

It would be nice to know if it is effective or not.

Absolutely.
I also just ordered some Damprid to draw out any excess moisture since that's where the musty smell comes from. Hopefully in a few days I can report the problem solved

Hey guys, so it's been 4 days since I put the musty smelling bronze age book in the Tupperware with a container of Damp Rid and a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda (top of box removed) and it worked!!!
No more smell. None.... Problem cured.
So I just put the book in a fresh bag & board and popped the next smelly contestant into the box open at the staples face down on a stainless steel wire rack with lid on tight. Yay... lol...
Post 713 IP   flag post
Fantastic news. Thank you for the update.
Post 714 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yeah and cheap too. I can do all 10 books I have for less than 10.00 and still have the baking soda lol....
Post 715 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
is it true that Hobo Clowns are the most dangerous of evil clowns because they are hungry?
Post 716 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone actually witnessed someone speak up when the minister says "Speak now or forever hold your peace"?
Post 717 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the update.
I can't imagine how big your container must be to house all those items though....

Only doing one book at a time.
Container is 14" wide x 20" long x 6" high. I usually use it for humidity tank before pressing some stubborn books. So plenty of room for one book.
the microchamber paper is the answer, rest is jsut wasting time and resources likely.
Post 718 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah and cheap too. I can do all 10 books I have for less than 10.00 and still have the baking soda lol....
The main issue is you are just masking the smell, not removing it, and it will likely return and worse...from my experience
Post 719 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Has anyone actually witnessed someone speak up when the minister says "Speak now or forever hold your peace"?
a suitor my mother had prior to my father showed up at her wedding, ran down the aisle and said...you told me you would wait for me....well I am here so that must not have worked out so well
Post 720 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
a suitor my mother had prior to my father showed up at her wedding, ran down the aisle and said...you told me you would wait for me....well I am here so that must not have worked out so well

Did he get his ass kicked?
Post 721 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Baking soda doesn't mask odor.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The main issue is you are just masking the smell, not removing it, and it will likely return and worse...from my experience
Post 722 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

of course it doesnt....but it also does not remove the CAUSE of the odor, it just absorbs the odor while its present until it is removed...and then in many cases it will return, effectively creating the same effect as MASKING the odor as I said. Semantics are fun, but regardless, the baking soda will likely only temporarily remove the smell. Micro chamber can be left in the book indefinitely performing the role....it used to be part of the slabbing process at least for books at CGC I have had done. Unsure if it is still
MCS adds micro chamber to larger ticket raw books they sell generally as well.
Post 723 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

of course it doesnt....but it also does not remove the CAUSE of the odor, it just absorbs the odor while its present until it is removed...and then in many cases it will return, effectively creating the same effect as MASKING the odor as I said. Semantics are fun, but regardless, the baking soda will likely only temporarily remove the smell. Micro chamber can be left in the book indefinitely performing the role....it used to be part of the slabbing process at least for books at CGC I have had done. Unsure if it is still

No, it does in fact chemically neutralize the source of odors. Has to be used properly and an open box of baking soda is not the best way (surface area and all that).

I strongly prefer activated charcoal per my post above. It is more effective.

But baking soda does not mask odors. Masking an odor is to cover up with another odor. Completely different and not merely semantics.
Post 724 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Iā€™m on record with use that ā€œhumidity tankā€ as usual and whatever humidity didnā€™t fix is stuck in there.
Post 725 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, it does in fact chemically neutralize the source of odors. Has to be used properly and an open box of baking soda is not the best way (surface area and all that).

But baking soda does not mask odors. Masking an odor is to cover up with another odor. Completely different and not merely semantics.
A box of baking soda does not remove mold or other odors that might be locked within the paper fibers. It has no way to penetrate inside and do so..as your own post refers to. Baking soda cannot neutralize all sources for all odors however...it simply absorbs them while present. Once removed the problem returns....the odors were simply removed temporarily. The odor can and does often return in comics....to me that is semantics......or splitting hairs. End of the day, the solution is often temporary and the worse it is, the more temporary.
Post 726 IP   flag post
I noticed today bitcoin had tumbled down to almost 20,000 and was somewhat stunned...it lost a third of its value in like the last week or so? Did I see that right?
Post 727 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town

Post 728 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I noticed today bitcoin had tumbled down to almost 20,000 and was somewhat stunned...it lost a third of its value in like the last week or so? Did I see that right?
I bought a few different cryptos in early 2019. No more than $5 each just to test the waters while PayPal was not charging transaction fees up to a certain amount. I waited and watched. Bitcoin was the most steady of all. Lite coin and the others dramatically increased and dropped day by day and hour by hour. I sold and bought between my investments as I was watching the trends. It was interesting. I cashed out before PayPals promo ended I was plus $0.46 in litecoinšŸ˜‚ only being able to withdraw in $1.00 increments it is still invested and has the lowest drop percentage currently at 1.47% leaving me with $0.17 after all of the previous drops, but give that a minute it will rise or drop 1-3%šŸ¤£
Post 729 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A box of baking soda does not remove mold or other odors that might be locked within the paper fibers. It has no way to penetrate inside and do so..as your own post refers to. Baking soda cannot neutralize all sources for all odors however...it simply absorbs them while present. Once removed the problem returns....the odors were simply removed temporarily. The odor can and does often return in comics....to me that is semantics......or splitting hairs. End of the day, the solution is often temporary and the worse it is, the more temporary.

Agree to disagree. I will say that the time required to remove most embedded odors is much longer than a day or two. I would use the method for a much longer period of time. Depends how embedded.
Post 730 IP   flag post
601493 999 30