Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 202216788

No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Howdy,

Just picked up some bronze age books that wreak of musty odor.
Any confirmed ways to get that odor out?
Post 676 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In tbe past I suggested a big sealed Tupperware box with a bowl of baking soda. Nobody ever responded if it worked although I can't imagine it wouldnt.
Post 677 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
In tbe past I suggested a big sealed Tupperware box with a bowl of baking soda. Nobody ever responded if it worked although I can't imagine it wouldnt.

That's what online search said as well.
I have the Tupperware Box (I use it as my humidity chamber when pressing books).
With a rack that holds two books in open position easily. Going to give a whirl and see what happens.
Post 678 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If you wouldn't mind, please let us know if that works.

It would be nice to know if it is effective or not.
Post 679 IP   flag post
Quote:

Absolutely.
I also just ordered some Damprid to draw out any excess moisture since that's where the musty smell comes from. Hopefully in a few days I can report the problem solved
Post 680 IP   flag post

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:

Absolutely.
I also just ordered some Damprid to draw out any excess moisture since that's where the musty smell comes from. Hopefully in a few days I can report the problem solved
best method and is microchamber paper...put a few pieces inside each book and voila
Post 681 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I’d use activated charcoal in place of baking soda but I think both work.
Post 682 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
best method and is microchamber paper...put a few pieces inside each book and voila

That was also mentioned in one of the threads I read on Ebay forum.
I will have to get some and give that whirl too...
Just found this...
https://www.conservationresources.com/microchamber-interleaving-paper-0025-in-65g-m2.html
Post 683 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

That was also mentioned in one of the threads I read on Ebay forum.
I will have to get some and give that whirl too...

very interested - have a GA book or two that could use something to get rid of the musty smell!
Post 684 IP   flag post
Does anybody know which comic sellers post ratios for sale the earliest?
Post 685 IP   flag post
Quote:
Does anybody know which comic sellers post ratios for sale the earliest?

Contact Caleb.
He puts out an email every Friday to subscribers for ratios.
Sometimes you can buy just the ration you want, or sometimes you buy the required amount of the regular issue and get the ratio at cover price.
I only did it a couple of times last year for the Amazing Spider-Man 55 from Patrick Gleason.
Anyway, holler at Caleb.
https://www.beedasthingamajigits.com/
info@beedasthingamajigits.com
Post 686 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67

Thank you
Post 687 IP   flag post
@Bronte @KatKomics @Davethebrave @Darkseid_of_town
ok guys, going to try a combination of damp rid and arm & hammer baking soda first.
Brand new container of each. Opened them up and placed in a Tupperware Container. Stainless steel wire rack on top with one smelly bronze age book opened up at the staples face down on the rack. Lid sealed tight. Going to wait a few days and see how it smells.

After a few days, it isn't better, I will leave the book in there for a few more days.
If that doesn't do it, I will then give the microchamber paper a whirl. Going to do that anyway, just hasn't arrived yet.
I am hoping both methods work. But as long as the odor goes away is all that matters. Only have 10 books that have this odor. Bought all of them from a guy who had them stored in a basement un-bagged. Soaking up all that basement moldy smell for who knows how long. Why couldn't they have been in paper bags like the Edgar Church Mile High Collection... lol....
Post 688 IP   flag post
Thank you for the update.
I can't imagine how big your container must be to house all those items though....
Post 689 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thank you for the update.
I can't imagine how big your container must be to house all those items though....

Only doing one book at a time.
Container is 14" wide x 20" long x 6" high. I usually use it for humidity tank before pressing some stubborn books. So plenty of room for one book.
Post 690 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone figured out how to add Express Press? Like if it is a membership perk or is not being offered? It’s still not showing on the submission form.
Post 691 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Has anyone figured out how to add Express Press? Like if it is a membership perk or is not being offered? It’s still not showing on the submission form.

I just filled out a new submission form and shipped them off last Saturday.
I couldn't get the form to show "standard" tier. Everything went to "Express"
Their is a glitch with the submission form.
I had to contact Darryl Hayden in sales to get him to fix it. A bit of a mess.

If you want express press, fill the form out. Print it out and make written changes on the invoice that you will send with your books and then send them attn: Darryl Hayden. Along with a note as to what tier you want the books to be graded.
Then contact him at dhayden@beckett.com so he knows your books are coming and what you need him to do for you.
He will straighten it out for you.

Also, contact customer service to let them know the problem with the submission form.
customerservice@cbcscomics.com
Post 692 IP   flag post
Why don't people listen to me the first time I say things???

Just had a 1/2hr meeting that went an hour over!!!! and a suggestion I had on how to run a pool for a tax change that is on it's way was ignored early on.....only for at the end for someone else to mention it and then we all agreed that it's likely the best way forward!!! (pending approval from VP's and other more important people)

Kicker is.....I'm not even in tax, this change barely affects what I need to do - was like 10yrs ago when I was involved in this reporting!!!
Post 693 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics my best guess is that you died at some point during the work from home. You think you’ve returned to the office but no one there can see or hear you. Get in touch with Haley Joel Osment.
Post 694 IP   flag post
Are you a sarcastic person? Maybe they don't hear you past your unique personality?
Post 695 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia lol!!!
Post 696 IP   flag post
Quote:
Are you a sarcastic person? Maybe they don't hear you past your unique personality?

sadly no... it's fun... this is just part of our corporate culture!! (blame game too!! -lots of fun games)

If you have an idea somehow you need to get someone else to think it's their idea and then it's something to be considered!!!

Been a while since I was in this type of meeting - damned me for being considered a SME! (subject matter expert!) across a few functions both present and past!

The even better thing is the person who brought it forward again near the end knows this is the type of thing that happens and it drives him crazy, so I think he knew what he was doing -when I see him in person next week I'll double check!!!
Don't listen to me...but manager level - then it gets traction!!

Doesn't matter - as long as I get my merit increase I could care less about the corporate ladder I'm just trying to ride out 11 or 12 more years!! (almost 19 in now)
Post 697 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics you can delete “our” and likely “corporate” from your first complete sentence.
Post 698 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Why don't people listen to m...

What?
Post 699 IP   flag post
@KatKomics I understand your position. I had a business partner who thought any idea worth merit had to originate from her. As a result, I would plant the idea of what I wanted to do in our conversations over the course of a week or two and wait for it to make itself back around as this brilliant notion that just came to her out of the blue.

We eventually parted ways with her and her husband going bankrupt and me paying my house off. Woo hoo!
Post 700 IP   flag post
Reading comics online.
Found a site appears to be free. Doesn't have everything, but it does have quite a few books. Just read captain carter up to book 3. And they look like they have a long run of young avengers

https://viewcomics.me/
Post 701 IP   flag post
Readallcomics.com seems to have just about everything in their archives.
Post 702 IP   flag post
@DrWatson

Thank you
Post 703 IP   flag post
Does torpedo comics have a reputation for accurate grading?
Post 704 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in Dallas until Saturday or Sunday. Can anyone recommend a good comic shop? Ideally ones with a good selection of Silver and Gold (or at least Bronze).
Post 705 IP   flag post
601455 999 30