Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector jaysonslade private msg quote post Address this user
Are there any known cases of unscrupulous sellers adding date stamps to silver age books in a shady attempt to make it more desirable? If so, how would we tell? Those old stamps can be bought on eBay. I’m pretty sure I’m not the first person that is concerned about this happening.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonslade
I’m pretty sure I’m not the first person that is concerned about this happening.

I think maybe you actually are the first.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I had no idea folks actually desired date stamps...

But regardless, I would think that a fresh stamp would be more clear given they would have to use current inks. That would look funny on a book that is old enough to have a stamp....
Post 3 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
A date stamp wouldn't increase the value.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
I have never heard about that EXCEPT when it comes to certain pedigrees.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, as much as I like date stamped comics, I've never paid more than fmv, and most times less. I've never heard of anyone forging them either. If you have an example of a date stamped book selling for more, I'd love to see it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on the book, but I might pay more for a book with my d.o.b. As the date stamp. I have a Swamp Thing with my wife’s d.o.b. as the date stamp; I didn’t pay more, but I chose it over a non-stamped copy. I actually prefer date stamps.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
While it is very close, I suspect overall a clean book with nothing - including a date stamp - probably has the potential to sell for more.

So no, I don't believe people are adding fake date stamps. At least not to clean books. Be no reason. For every collector that believes date stamps are cool there are 2 collectors that would rather have a clean cover.

There might e occasions where someone tries to make stray markings LOOK like a date stamp. Say for instance someone wrote "9" on the cover - and then decades later someone else tries to turn it into "3/9"
Post 8 IP   flag post
601362 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?