Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Thoughts on this ‘soiling’ on cover?16752

Collector Venomous72 private msg quote post Address this user
I ordered this the other day, not in hand yet. I noticed it has a small stain that the notes call ‘soiling’ by docs leg (to the right between his leg and tentacle)

Is this worth trying to get dry cleaned? Seems like it’s a dirt smudge or grime.

Honestly the book presents so well I don’t really care, just curious.

Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
I’m looking on my phone and I don’t see much in terms of soiling.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten
I’m looking on my phone and I don’t see much in terms of soiling.

Here I zoomed it in. It’s not super noticeable unless you’re looking for it lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
His tentacles were leaking oil…..

Nice book!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljordanfan
His tentacles were leaking oil…..

Nice book!

Apparently lol. Thank you! I think it displays quite nice
Post 5 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
That is a nice book! I question whether that spot would come out in dry cleaning because it looks, indeed, a bit oily. It's so dinky, though!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
That is a nice book! I question whether that spot would come out in dry cleaning because it looks, indeed, a bit oily. It's so dinky, though!

Yeah I honestly wasn’t sure if it would. But since it’s quite small I guess I should probs not worry about it haha
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a grease spot.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Yeah could be. Frankly I don’t know what soiling is compared to a ‘stain’

Grease is not dry cleanable, correct?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous72
Quote:

maybe it was unidentifiable? Or a catch all like the notorious “light bends” Nice book!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Quote:

maybe it was unidentifiable? Or a catch all like the notorious “light bends” Nice book!

Thank you!
Post 11 IP   flag post
You can't dry clean a grease spot. It soaks in (through) the paper.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yeah kind of what I figured. So if it’s grease not worth it. I’ll try and get a closer look when it arrives, thank you
Post 13 IP   flag post
It's a very pretty 5.0. I wouldn't risk the color loss monkeying around with it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
It's a very pretty 5.0. I wouldn't risk the color loss monkeying around with it.

I agree! Thanks again!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah kind of what I figured. So if it’s grease not worth it. I’ll try and get a closer look when it arrives, thank you

Got a BC scan?

Watson is correct, that is a liquid stain which can't be removed via dry cleaning.

----

That said, it looks like there is some spine roll, judging by what appears to be page fanning of interior pages to BC, which I *may* see on the top right corner of the FC but a BC scan would make that clearer/more definitive.

A press really couldnt address that page fanning, or at least I woudn't try to realign the spine w/a traditional spine roll realignment during pressing....I only say that bc the staples are pretty far off center, placed well into the FC eg not in the spine.

The "soiling" in the notes may be a thin coat of dirt/grime on the bulk of the FC, and not that stain.

If I'm correct about that there is page fanning/spine roll being present, that'd be a grade limiting factor in a CPR but the stain could be almost wholly removed/lightened...that along w/a press may net you around a 1.0 bump, assuming the BC has no nasty surprises that can't be resolved via cleaning + a press.

Feel free to post pics of the slab when in hand, I have been dry cleaning & pressing books for about 7 years and enjoy giving CPR opinions on slabs.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:
Quote:

That said, it looks like thre is some spine roll, judging by what appears to be page fanning of interior pages to BC, which I *may* see on the top right corner of the FC but a BC scan would make that clearer/more definitive.

A press really couldnt address that page fanning, or at least I woudn't try to realign the spine w/a traditional spine roll realignment during pressing....I only say that bc the staples are pretty far off center, placed well into the FC eg not in the spine.

The "soiling" in the notes may be a thin coat of dirt/grime on the bulk of the FC, and not that stain.

If I'm correct about that there is page fanning/spine roll being present, that'd be a grade limiting factor in a CPR but the stain could be almost wholly removed/lightened...that along w/a press may net you around a 1.0 bump, assuming the BC has no nasty surprises that can't be resolved via cleaning + a press.

Feel free to post pics of the slab when in hand, I have been dry cleaning & pressing books for about 7 years and enjoy giving CPR opinions on slabs.

Wow thanks for the detailed response. Yeah I have a back cover scan

Wet cleaning sounds a bit spooky haha. I know there are ways to do it but I would be the saddest if it came back restored.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
A heads up regarding pressing discussions. You can mention pressing and give your opinion if a book can be improved with pressing and cleaning but you can't discuss any specific techniques on the forum:

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/9/page/1/cbcs-message-board---terms-of-use/#1

*Discussing Alteration Techniques: Users may not share or otherwise discuss techniques for altering comics; including, but not limited to, restoration, pressing, cleaning, taping, or any other techniques that could result in temporary or permanent damage to a comic book. CBCS is in no way liable for any damage resulting from a user performing any technique they read or saw on the CBCS forum.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, @Flanders. I edited a bit out of my post above, I think the rest of that post doesnt violate those CBCS terms but if it does, a mod can edit or zap the post.
Post 19 IP   flag post
601333 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?