Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Reacquainted with an old friend16740

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
So I posted an ad in OfferUp and a guy responded, has a name that you don't hear so I was knew who it was. We met up and did some deals. I ended up working on his pool and when I was there today he called me into his house, had something to show me. Back in the late 80'd I sold him a Superman 2 and he still has it, along with every comic he's had since he was 7. He also showed me a sketch that Kirby drew for him in the 60's. This thing was about 18"x36". These are SOME of the books that were in the box with the Superman 2 I sold him. He has hundreds of boxes of books. Just amazing

Post 1 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
That's jaw dropping.
Post 3 IP   flag post

when he met Kirby in the 60's, he was with his friend Bernard who wasn't into comics. Grover had him ask Kirby for a sketch so he had 2 sketch's. It reminds me Patrick warburton
Post 4 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia yes, it was a sight to behold. It's just the tip of the iceberg, he has so many books.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66

Thanks for sharing this 🍻
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 Thank you for posting this!! Amazing to see!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
😮
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! Speechless!! Thank you for sharing!
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Those Kirby sketches are priceless in my opinion...unreal! Probably the best items I've seen on this forum.
Post 10 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Dear God, is that Kirby in a $10 frame?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Those Kirby sketches are priceless in my opinion...unreal! Probably the best items I've seen on this forum.
I could believe how huge the sketch's are. I was going to hold a comic book up to it just to gauge the size. I'm trying to take him into letting go of the hulk, it's a big no.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I could believe how huge the sketch's are. I was going to hold a comic book up to it just to gauge the size. I'm trying to take him into letting go of the hulk, it's a big no.

How big are they?

If I owned those sketches, they would never leave my collection.....stunning!!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
@GAC not sure but it might be a standard artist paper but it's around 18"x36". He said it took Kirby less than a minute to draw them.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@GAC not sure but it might be a standard artist paper but it's around 18"x36". He said it took Kirby less than a minute to draw them.

Man....what an amazing experience and collection pieces!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Those are some amazing books and sketches. That would be an amazing collection to see in person. Those Timely books too. Wow!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Cool stuff
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Zipper private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88

Back in the 90s I visited Dick Ayers' home at his invitation. He gave me the grand tour.

He had a ton of original artwork in lining the hallways... all of it in cheap Woolworth frames. Stuff that would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars today.

The one that sticks out and I'll never forget is the original FF 12 cover art in a plastic poster frame. Literally one of those cheap plastic frames you can get at Walmart for $9.99.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
That is fun to see. I know a few guys who have stuff squirreled away like that, they will die with that stuff, and die happy.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Zipper wow, that would be a great person to know. That oa of ff12 would probably frr we tech over a million I'm sure
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88

Back in the 90s I visited Dick Ayers' home at his invitation. He gave me the grand tour.

He had a ton of original artwork in lining the hallways... all of it in cheap Woolworth frames. Stuff that would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars today.

The one that sticks out and I'll never forget is the original FF 12 cover art in a plastic poster frame. Literally one of those cheap plastic frames you can get at Walmart for $9.99.

Actually that’s great to hear that the original cover art to FF 12 exists. A lot of covers from that time are unknown. The complete interior exists as well, they had it on a TV show where they showed it to Stan Lee.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome stuff.

I've met a guy like that. Not as many comics, but the ones he had are amazing. Enough so that when he was showing me his books, he'd 'forgotten' about the Captain America Comics 1-4 in his collection. Plus original sketches by Schomburg and Barks (including some Uncle Scrooge concept art). He passed away a couple years ago. I'm hoping his widow will sell some or all of the collection, and trying very hard not seem like a vulture over it. He was a nice man, she's a nice lady - don't want to take advantage. Just want the stuff, if I can possibly swing it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
598073 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?