Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Anyone use fountain pens?16730

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm thinking of trying fountain pens - don't know why - stuck at home for 2 years and getting bored??

Anyone use them? any suggestions on a cheap starter? Looks like Amazon has a base one and I see the name Lamy too

Might give a converter a try so I can just refill instead of getting new a new cartridge? (I like blue ink rather than black too!)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
It's been years since I've used one, but they are nice. Just don't press down too hard on the nib, they tend to bend easily.

If you really want a challenge, get a speedball calligraphy pen and nibs with a bottle of blue ink and go for it!!! Calligraphy is an art in my opinion. There are many different lettering styles to choose from also. But if you do take it up, make sure to wash the nibs right after using. I will say this, you definitely feel great when you write something in calligraphy!! But if you aren't a patient sort, forget I said anything about calligraphy. 😁
Post 2 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Fountain pens are cool, and if you have decent penmanship already it makes your writing style that much more impressive. The quality of nib and maintaining it is the key to success with a fountain pen. The width and strength of the nib combined with the pressure you naturally apply while writing provides stylistic flourish. Although I don't use fountain pens as much today, they're magnificent writing instruments worth the investment.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I messed around with calligraphy pens as a kid - only cause my dad had them lying around - same with the japan writing brushes etc. somewhere I might still have a giant book of fonts - just pages and pages with different styles

I don't write much - basically notes to myself or for work but I have a birthday coming soon and can never provide ideas for the wife and child to get me - maybe a fountain pen this year??

Maybe it will inspire me to revisit my penmanship skills? (or lack thereof!)
Post 4 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I used it when I was younger. Phenomenal way to write because the strokes are beautiful.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector drloko private msg quote post Address this user
I used them for several years, loved them.

I'd start with the disposable pens:
Pilot Varsity Disposable Fountain 6 Pack Combo, 3 Black Pens and 3 Blue Pens

Should be $13 for the 6 pack on Amazon.

You get a chance to get use to the feel of the ink flow but you don't need to refill or change the nibs.
Post 6 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I use them but mainly because they are compatible with my favorite “ink” for when my clients sign certain highly-binding agreements with me. Ballpoints always clog up.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, hadn’t thought about them in years. We were forced to use them for a year or two in elementary school. I can picture blobs of ink on my work and blue stains all over my fingers from changing those cartridges. Good luck!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Whammykablam private msg quote post Address this user
I second the Pilot Varsity ones if you just want to get started.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@drloko @Whammykablam - thanks! hadn't seen that there were disposables out there! Looks like maybe $20 or $25 bucks up here in Canada - will have to add those to the pool of cheap starters to consider
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector dennisqdw private msg quote post Address this user
So I've been using fountain pens for decades. When I used to teach I had different pens in different colors for different purposes. When writing there is a kind of joy that comes with writing with a good fountain pen. Kind of like driving a good car. And to carry the car analogy a little further, you have to use it with some frequency. Just like you can't let a car sit for months between drives, you can't let a fountain pen sit. They will get clogged relatively quickly, and the ink will dry up, and this can happen within a week or 2 depending on the pen. Although pens can be easily cleaned with cold water, it then becomes a hassle that makes it not worthwhile.
A couple of more points about pens. Like cars, the beauty of the pen itself, and the way it feels in your hands makes a big difference. Like cars you get what you pay for. That said, once you cross a certain point - around $100 -$200 or so - you're just buying pens that are fancy for the sake of it, and may even be of worse writing quality than less expensive pens. A cheap disposable pen, might be a good start but might be scratchy and turn you off.
This leads to the last point. The nib width is absolutely critical. Pens commonly come in Fine, Medium and Wide (along with extra fine and more fine than that). The wider the nib the easier it is to write with, but the uglier it looks. Writing with a fine point takes a bit of extra attention. I suggest starting with medium.
And finally, should this "take" for you, you will find yourself going down a rabbit hole, not dissimilar to that of comics. But will also allow for many opportunities to those looking for what to get you as gifts.
BTW, no respectable fountain pen writer would use a cartridge. But that's probably just snobbery.
And one last point, you may find yourself paying more attention to the paper you write on. There is nothing lovelier than fountain pen ink on paper with a good tooth.
If you get serious about this both Parker and Pelikan make dependable attractive pens, and would be the next step.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a quill man, myself. Any feather works. Well. Not little feathers. Like hummingbirds.

Porcupine quills work nicely, too. Have that "Action Grip" needed for when we are power writing to a King or a Lord.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I'll bet you won't see a discussion like this in the CGC forum lol!

Post 13 IP   flag post
@OGJackster Yeah, their rules are pretty stringent. I've already had a few messages pulled.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisqdw
@OGJackster Yeah, their rules are pretty stringent. I've already had a few messages pulled.
You had posts about fountain pens pulled from the CGC board?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@HexView
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics you should look up @hemingwayjones on TikTok and possibly YouTube. He’s has really cool videos detailing fountain pens.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I wonder what else I can go old school with.

For 10yrs or so I use an old style push mower (middle unit town home back yard is only 25x55 but after garden, flower beds, patio and deck there isn't much to really cut!). I've started using double edge safety razors for shaving (awesome by the way- my fav might be a 1947/52 Gillette)

Maybe I need to get a typewriter with the usb converter kit (or already done)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I tried calligraphy in maybe jr high. It did not work out. I ended up with more ink on my hands than on paper and fine tips made it look like a cat shredded everything😂

Maybe you’ll have the patience and dexterity for fountain pens.
Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post
601252 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?