Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS Signature ASPPop CultureSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Larry Lieber167

Collector DesertWind private msg quote post Address this user
Larry Lieber is one of those names in the comic book world that few people realize his huge contributions to the Marvel Universe. He is the co-creator of IronMan, Ant-Man and Thor. He helped create or is responsible for creating the Marvel characters Loki, Odin, and Balder (from the pantheon of Norse mythological gods), as well as Asgard, the Bifrost and the Rainbow Bridge (which connected Asgard to Earth). He then went onto being part of a slew of other Marvel titles including his long run on Rawhide Kid. He was editor at Atlas/Seaboard Comics in the mid 70's.

Larry began his long career in the comic book industry working as an art assistant and his first known credited work was in 1951 on "All True Crime #44" while working for Timely Comics. In addition to creating such historic characters as IronMan and many others, Larry has since, cemented himself in comic book history as being the longest running contributor either writing and/or drawing the daily Amazing Spider-Man comic strip which he has been doing since 1986 and continues today. If you look at the contribution that Larry has made to the comic book medium, it is no wonder he has won awards and accolades for his work, yet he goes silently throughout comic book history relatively unknown by most fans and collectors.

Unlike his big brother, comic book legend and considered by many to be the Godfather to the comic book universe, Stan Lee, who has continued to stay in the limelight of entertainment, Larry has lived a quiet life in New York City but still writes and draws today at the age of 84.

I write this piece today, because I have been fortunate enough to have first met Larry many years ago while he was at San Diego Comic Con. And since that time, have had the opportunity to create a business relationship and ultimately a friendship with this special man. He rarely makes public signing appearances but he has allowed my company to sign with him several times over the last 5-6 years. He has recently become a part of our Desert Wind's Legends Tour and we feel so very blessed and fortunate to be able to extend this opportunity to fans and collectors. While not everyone is fortunate enough to have a copy of Tales to Suspense 39 (1st appearance of IronMan) or Journey into Mystery 83 (1st appearance of Thor) or even Tales to Astonish 27 (1st appearance of Ant-Man), there are a ton of other titles and issues that Larry had a hand in working on and that you could get signed by this man who has quietly been a part of. So don't let this opportunity pass you by. The Desert Wind Legends Tour is coming up in the next month and a half, so take a moment to look through your collection or look around for something you can purchase to get signed by this legend in the comic book industry before this kind of opportunity passes you by. Desert Wind has been blessed with the opportunity to sign with many legends in the past, such as Herb Trimpe, Dick Ayers, Gene Colan, Jerry Robinson and Joe Simon, that we can no longer get. Don't miss this chance to get this quiet legend. Visit the Desert Wind Comics website for details of this exciting signing opportunity.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@DesertWind Hey Chandler, is that you? It's Jon from some recent cons. You guys picked up my Darth Vader from Jae Lee at the Long Beach Con.

I'm glad to see you guys on here and I look forward to sending some books in for your Legends Tour signings!
Post 2 IP   flag post
It is I. Thank you for the support and let us know how we can help you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertWind

Larry Lieber is not only a living legend, but a really nice guy as well.

He does not get the recognition he deserves
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock
Quote:

That's because he's not a very good artist.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector RebellionComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Quote:

good artist or not aside he helped create some of the most iconic heroes we enjoy today. Same thing could be said about Bob Kane but his name is plastered everywhere. That was not at slight at against Bob either just a statement about the credit he gets for the creation over the art talent.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well Stan was not a very good artist and that didn't stop him!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He's not my favorite, I don't particularly care for his drawing, but he was able to tell a story graphically which is a skill unto itself. His Spider-man daily strips weren't so bad. My favorite ones by him are probably the JIM/ST/TOS/TTA backup stories inked by Matt Fox before those series went all-superhero. That said, he was responsible for writing a good number of the classic Marvel pre-hero monster tales, so he gets a gold star in my book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He's not my favorite, I don't particularly care for his drawing, but he was able to tell a story graphically which is a skill unto itself. His Spider-man daily strips weren't so bad. My favorite ones by him are probably the JIM/ST/TOS/TTA backup stories inked by Matt Fox before those series went all-superhero. That said, he was responsible for writing a good number of the classic Marvel pre-hero monster tales, so he gets a gold star in my book.

While his art was not the best at the time (He was no Ditko or Kirby), his layouts told the stories great. That is not an easy thing to do. He was a very valuable part of the beginning of the Marvel Silver Age and, IMHO, does not get the credit he deserves.

Everyone can have their own opinion. It's cool to agree to disagree....
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

While his art was not the best at the time (He was no Ditko or Kirby), his layouts told the stories great. That is not an easy thing to do. He was a very valuable part of the beginning of the Marvel Silver Age and, IMHO, does not get the credit he deserves.

To me there's a difference between credit and recognition. I can agree that he might not get the credit he deserves, but if he was a better artist he would get more recognition. The Spidey strips I see in CSN every week are just embarrassing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was also a different time in comics than most artist were just doing this as a job while kirby Cardy and Moldoff did have some great pieces it's not really untill you get to the mid-silver age with adams steranko etc that the art became amazing it was a difference from those doing it as work from the begining and those who grew up to want to become comic artist.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
@RebellionComics I have to agree with you. You have to remeber that art itself have evolved over time. Back then they did everything by hand and these artist are getting paid the artist today. Computers and digital is the way its done know. I believe many artist don't get credit when credits do. But you should never criticize a persons work. Larry is an unsung hero and fortunate that he did create great character that we appreciate today. Going to look through my collection and see if I can find a comic to get signed by him. Great post for letting us know of this opportunity @DesertWind
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Zero
But you should never criticize a persons work.

That's the dumbest thing I've read today.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebellionComics
It was also a different time in comics than most artist were just doing this as a job while kirby Cardy and Moldoff did have some great pieces it's not really until you get to the mid-silver age with adams steranko etc that the art became amazing....

I guess you've never seen Al Williamson's work from the 50s? Jack Davis? Graham Ingels? You don't have to wait unti the mid-60s, comic art became amazing when EC Comics went from Educational to Entertaining.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Stu-
Welcome to the forums, but be nice to others.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I think part of what has been missed here is the fact that Larry did double duty. He wrote AND he drew. Something that you didn't see a lot of. So if you want to give credit or recognition or whatever name you want to use to describe it, the fact is Larry was a fantastic comic book creator, no matter if writing or drawing. He helped created some of the most enduring comic book characters known today.

Simply said, thank you Larry for your contribution to keeping me entertained when I was young as well as when I am older today. Thank you sir!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stu-
Welcome to the forums, but be nice to others.

I will resist the low hanging fruit from now on
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't know anything about this guy so I looked up his art. Looks fine to me, and pretty much like everything else I saw from the 60's. this is much later, but has the feel that all 60's art has to me

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Cosmic_Shel private msg quote post Address this user
Found a couple Picture Frames by him!

Post 19 IP   flag post
Those westerns are nice I always live the covers of those
Post 20 IP   flag post
598060 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?