Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPComics Copper AgeQuestionsSignatures

Curious Secret Wars Autographs - To Verify or Not16697

Collector oldcitybass private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, new here and looking for advice and opinions. The recent Secret Wars record setting original art page news prompted me to pull out my copies of the series. I noticed that my Secret Wars #3 is signed on the first page by Jim Shooter, Mike Zeck, Tom DeFalco, John Beatty, and Eliot R. Brown. I did not get this book signed so I must have bought it that way. I've probably owned it for 20+ years. Any thoughts about when or where all these folks would have been together at the same time? Could it have been at a convention? Would this be a book you would recommend having the signatures verified by CBCS? Any ideas about what it might be worth?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Wayneds private msg quote post Address this user
Yes it was probably signed at a show, but maybe at different show’s it looks like different pens were used
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
They didn't need to all be in one place. It would have been common to get sigs across multiple cons/events to build up a list like this.

Need to see more to determine possible grade. Unless it came back a 9.8 (borderline 9.6) I'm not sure the cost of grading and verifications would be profitable. If you're not concerned with profit, then you could send it in and see what hits; fun item to have.

I think I would probably skip grading and getting verified, personally and I like sigs/signed items.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I don't see how different pens would make it different shows. I would imagine pens weren't so scarce that each individual had their own pen.

But in my opinion, I would get it verified. I think it would be cool to have that many signatures verified on a single book. Another consideration though might be the condition of the book. Is it a reader copy? Or is it high grade?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector oldcitybass private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for all the replies! It's in fairly nice shape but I have very little experience with graded books so I'm not sure how this would grade. I have some books away at CGC right now and I sent some to CBCS today so I should have a better understanding of the grading when I get those back.

Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
From your scans, it's an attractive book. I would have it pressed and verified.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
Agreed, more so because the She-Hulk series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Post 7 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvinv
Agreed, more so because the She-Hulk series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

I'm with these guys. If that were mine, I would go for press & verify & slab!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Books signed in the interior don't sell like books signed on the cover.

It's probably a 9.2-9.4 if you're lucky w/a press. I'd say 9.0 as is.

More prominent flaws:

Multiple color breaking spine ticks on entire length of spine-
Very evident in the black strip (top inch and change of spine)

Finger bends/stress lines above the "TW" in TWELVES" on FC

Staple stress lines, some break color

Typical stacking curl along ;length of spine, fully pressable...and a press won't do much to improve other defects I can see.

Grading, pressing + 5 sig verifications will cost you around $150.

I would just sell it raw.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Great book!
Post 10 IP   flag post
600794 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?