Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Girls don't read comics?16669

Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
I've noticed lately the number of girl's name written on a lot of my gold and silver age comics. I've got a few in my PC that I discovered in the recent inventory I am doing. Also I bid on a book with a name written in it today, but noticed the name was Claire. We're not talking True Romance, we're talking Magnus Robot Fighter, The Avengers, Batman, etc.

It just makes me feel warm and fuzzy that decades ago girls read comics too.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
My cousin and I shared comics when we were kids. She read New Mutants and ElfQuest, I read X-Men and Batman. She doesn't collect anymore, but she still reads trades.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
If you go to cons, there are a ton of girls there but if you go to the comic book section their ranks thin out.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
My two girl cousins went to the local comic book store with me one time when I was staying at their house on vacation as a kid. Of all the new books out that month, only one caught their attention. They were happy that it was one of the ones I purchased:

Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
My ex from years ago would buy the Walking Dead TPBs, but other than her, I don't know any who read or collect comics. At shows, I've seen some females around buying or selling comics. I see some at the LCS but 98% of them I see in there are with a spouse or child, and only a few are buying. I think there are how many on this forum? Two or three that I can pick out? One of them being Kendra from CBCS.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
There's some men (I, for one) that no longer read the big two anymore.
It's one big soap opera of amalgam, superficial, nonsensical characters and other boring silliness in which I can no longer read.
The 15- 20 minute self-contained story, then put away is a dinosaur.

Additionally, today's artists struggle with sequential art storytelling in favor of pin-up art for every panel. (Read Adams "Understanding Comics" )
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
My cousin and I shared comics when we were kids. She read New Mutants and ElfQuest, I read X-Men and Batman. She doesn't collect anymore, but she still reads trades.

Ask her if she wants a complete collection of 1st run Elfquests (Warp Graphics) ...

I've been saving them since the 80s
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
My two girl cousins went to the local comic book store with me one time when I was staying at their house on vacation as a kid. Of all the new books out that month, only one caught their attention. They were happy that it was one of the ones I purchased:

I think its very cool you remember this and that you still have the comic.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
At my local shop, I feel like I see a lot of women who are interested in reading stories, that aren't necessarily the die-hard collecting type. Just anecdotally speaking, I feel like not many women collect comics, but there are a lot who read. Again, just my observation given the specific environment at my local shop. It's great to see a diverse reader-base within my select pool.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Zakryet private msg quote post Address this user
My daughter is 17 and loves to collect / read Conan, Red Sonja, Batman and some of the event series like Dceased and Dark Knights of Steel. It's been fun enjoying the hobby together.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
I think its very cool you remember this and that you still have the comic.

@dfoster43 I was pretty insecure about being a comic collector. It was not the coolest thing for a 13 year old to be doing at that time when other kids were spending their money on music and BMX bikes and such. I think I remember just about every time someone said something affirmative about my comic books back then, lol.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
My daughter is 32 and has quite the collection of comics, but she prefers graphic novels as reading material.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
I used to be a regular on the comic convention floors in the late 80's and early 90's with a girlfriend at the time. She's still one of my best customers and consignment contacts!
Post 13 IP   flag post
598060 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?