Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Marvel Eternals16668

Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
The story is bad, the dialogue is bad, and there are very few redeeming qualities. Nanjiani is the only 'lead' with any charisma.

Was it just me or did one of the guys sound like he had a cold when he talked?

Well, they have to make money to merit series / sequels / etc. so they need some way of judging that with a streaming series vs. a movie.

I think stories like this (and "Inhumans" (if they did it like the comic, just one example of that deep Marvel epic storyline like Galactus / Surfer / Celestials, Kang / Guardians, etc), need the time and space to as @EbayMafia said to "flesh out" the story because they have tendrils and back stories that literally go on forever and reach into so many OTHER stories, etc.

The odd ones like "Blade" were done way before there was a plan for a MCU, they were just "Hey lets make a neat comic book movie!" category. You can't do that with "Eternals" or "Silver Surfer / Galactus" arc, etc., there's just too much there.
Post 51 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
About to watch it.....
Post 52 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Don't do it. Friends don't let friends watch The Eternals.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Hayek got a little chunky.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Don't do it. Friends don't let friends watch The Eternals.

LOL! I am just a junkie, need a fix. Anyway, I will probably fall asleep watching it. Got to work early this morning and need to be up for more grading tomorrow. I have been falling asleep during too many movies, getting old or maybe they just suck.
Post 55 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
70% through it…

Haven’t had a drink in a week. I am now three or four stiff drinks in.

Consensus is… of course better than Black Widow but … OMG 45 mins left???? I am okay with slow pace but this is … a bit too boring. Most of the actors are dull. Angelina Jolie is awful…

Again, I am okay with slow pacing but the pace plus plot holes plus general blandness of acting/actors.

Highlight so far was the opening music - Pink Floyd… not some lame, awful, contrived cover.

5/10 … hopefully the ending blows us away and merits a reassessment.
Post 56 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave

Consensus is… of course better than Black Widow but

I guess I’m in the minority when I say I enjoyed Black Widow a great deal…
Post 57 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
hopefully the ending blows us away and merits a reassessment.

uh huh, sure. lol. For about 1 minute there when the skies turned gray, I thought maybe it could get good.
Post 58 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Black Widow a better movie than Eternals? Interesting...
Post 59 IP   flag post
I liked it more, then again I liked every movie better than Eternals, even some pre Disney marvel movies
Post 60 IP   flag post
I think instead of being a Disney Plus series, the movie should have been set up by a Disney Plus series. Maybe 6 Episodes following them through time. Establishing their connections to humanity and why they cannot bear to see the people of earth meet their destiny. That might have given the movie more punch.
Post 61 IP   flag post
I feel asleep watching it. Wasn't doing much for me to tell the truth. Might finish it, don't know.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
I think instead of being a Disney Plus series, the movie should have been set up by a Disney Plus series. Maybe 6 Episodes following them through time. Establishing their connections to humanity and why they cannot bear to see the people of earth meet their destiny. That might have given the movie more punch.

We didn’t finish the movie… going to watch the last 27 mins tonight.

Discussed it today and concluded (before those critical final 27 mins) that this movie falls flat on execution.

Several actors are just dull - not cringe worthy… just a bit flat/wooden. The “enemy” for most of the movie feels two-dimensional. It is a movie that is mediocre across the board. The underlying plot saves it, but just barely. We found it at least much more interesting than Black Widow, which is what makes Eternals the better movie.

For me, I need “high points” in one of a few categories to say a movie is “good” and more than one category (usually) to be excellent.

Humor, suspense, intensity/action, intelligence/intrigue, “epic-ness”, etc.

Eternals has no high points but few low points. It felt like the acting (or maybe directing?) let it down…

My premature conclusion is the movie would have been better with fewer known actors (or actors drawn from recently popular movies). Jolie was awful, Gemma Chan had no charisma, Hayek was weak, Richard Madden came off as Homelander’s poor cousin.

Don Lee and Kumail Nanjiani were the only actors that were interesting…

I assume Jolie was needed because of how unknown the title is…
Post 63 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
So I watched it last night, it wasn't as god awful as I expected, but it was far from great.

It did start to lose me at the end. I'm assuming icarus committed suicide because of a Guilty conscience? And was it me or did the emerging being look like Galactus helmet?
Post 64 IP   flag post
Watched the rest. 5/10.

Better than black widow. Similar (touch below) shang chi.

Watched first episode of peacemaker right after. Wow, talk about contrast… more entertainment in that 45 mins than the 2.5+ hrs of Eternals.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Ok not to get off topic, but what are the complaints with Black Widow? They answered some of the stuff that was always mentioned about her, ie Dragovs daughter and Budapest….and otherwise I thought it was actually pretty good
Post 66 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Watched it today. MEH
I confess, I think Gemma Chan is gorgeous, and have thought so since I saw her in the series Humans. But this well-worn soap opera plot of a movie seemed to lack any spark. It desperately needed some humor, something to wow you, something interesting, some life. And I hate to say it, but they would have been better off without Hayek or Jolie. They just raised the expectations for this movie, and neither one created a character that the audience was invested in and cared about.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
Watched the rest. 5/10.

Better than black widow. Similar (touch below) shang chi.

Watched first episode of peacemaker right after. Wow, talk about contrast… more entertainment in that 45 mins than the 2.5+ hrs of Eternals.

Yeah, I binge watched the 3 Peacemaker episodes and definitely wanted more.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
All of Marvel is eternal as long as MCU appeals to a majority (insert non standard collector/average movie goer here).
Post 69 IP   flag post
A question about the Celestial embryo...did that come up in the original comic series? I know it was a key part of Earth X, but that was the first time I had heard of it.
Post 70 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
Quote:

Consensus is… of course better than Black Widow but

I guess I’m in the minority when I say I enjoyed Black Widow a great deal…

You are not in the minority.

I loved it. I had already suspended ALL knowledge of "real" comic history and just went with it.

Watched it like that part of my brain that objected to changes to things didn't exist and just loved the stupid action flic melodrama part of it.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Watched Eternals again last night with the wife. She is not a comic book person at all, yet she really liked it. She liked Black Widow as well, as did I and my daughter.
Couldn’t miss what to us was the obvious female centric of both movies. Something Marvel has made a focus of IMO, to good effect lately.
Now Peacemaker looks like the hot thing. As far from female centric as it is possible to be. Won’t watch it with the wife. But it is great.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse

So Jack Kirby was really a 12 year old boy with an active imagination?
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:

So Jack Kirby was really a 12 year old boy with an active imagination?

Aren't we all?
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’m an hour and twenty minutes into it and I still don’t care about any of these characters.

The acting is good. The set designs are cool and there’s a good movie in here somewhere. But man . . . Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
plan on adding to my vudu (how i buy/watch movies) I do have disney+ but still add stuff there in case. i mainly use disney+ for original stuff and stuff I cant add. I collect movies (digitally) as much as I collect comics. have every mcu movie there
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
plan on adding to my vudu (how i buy/watch movies) I do have disney+ but still add stuff there in case. i mainly use disney+ for original stuff and stuff I cant add. I collect movies (digitally) as much as I collect comics. have every mcu movie there

Ya might want to watch it in Disney+ to see if you think it’s worth adding.
Post 78 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55

Ya might want to watch it in Disney+ to see if you think it’s worth adding.

already seen it. I liked it. not the best (probably one of the worst in the mcu) but im a completionist when it comes to movies. I cant skip a single movie in a franchise
Post 79 IP   flag post
I may finish watching it…piece by agonizing piece. However like slim said, I just couldn’t get invested in a single character
Post 80 IP   flag post
601451 101 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?