Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Marvel Eternals16668

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I gave up and have retreated to the computer. Wife and daughter are into it...have been since the start. I told them it would not be a good movie for brother because he is 15 and has the attention span of a gnat. He has joined them and now every 5 minutes I hear the girl child yell "SHUT UP!"

it's a fine line - it's not a bad movie but at the same time not good either
They could have got to the same place in a 3hr movie by rearranging events or even better do it over 2 or 3 movies

I always go back to - will I watch it again? For this the answer is no
I mean - there are even suspense, detective/police procedurals or horror films I can watch over and over despite knowing the twists and turns and still enjoy them - this film does not fall into that category.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
it's a fine line - it's not a bad movie but at the same time not good either

I think that's accurate. I watched most of it from a distance but it felt more like something that would come from DC than from Marvel. The bad guys seemed like they could have come from the Justice League movie. Both the characters and actors lacked the charisma that we came to expect from the previous MCU. GOTG also introduced a bunch of marginal characters...but they were interesting and relatable. These characters seemed kind of aloof. You could never forget that it was actors playing roles.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, my minds made up. It’s a bad movie, good job marvel phase 5 starts with a dud
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
You made it 15 minutes longer than I did.

Sadly, I drove and paid to see it in a theatre.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
Ok, my minds made up. It’s a bad movie, good job marvel phase 5 starts with a dud

@stanley_1883 I would only say it's a "bad" movie relative to expectations set by some really good Marvel (MCU) movies previously. If I didn't have those good movies to compare it to I probably could have appreciated it more. I think it was my least favorite of all the Marvel movies. It was just very bland in comparison.
Post 30 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
My wife was more excited about seeing this movie than other recent comic book movies… after hearing early feedback, much less so. Probably for the best.

I have not been aligned with popular movie opinion lately. Liked the MCU up to End Game. That movie indeed ended my enthusiasm (there were some weaker films leading up too, and some okay but overrated ones).

Quite honestly, Iron Man was outstanding and a handful of others were really fun movies. The rest felt like corporate filler - directed and written in board rooms as much as by the actual talent.

The MCU today feels contrived. It always was but the balance of substance vs everything else has tipped too far to “everything else”…
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
How do they address the Highlander(s)?

Surely over the ages they must have crossed paths!

@KatKomics LOL!!!!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
I gotta admit, when Arishem appears over earth the only thing I can think of is "Show me what you got! We want to see what you got!".

🤣

Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it was OK, but here's the big oddity:

The only reason some of the conversation about "the pilot", "deviants being extinct" and "Sersi's Ex" near the very beginning made any sense to me is because I watched the deleted scene between Black Knight and Sprite in the museum.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntergreene2

The only reason some of the conversation about "the pilot", "deviants being extinct" and "Sersi's Ex" near the very beginning made any sense to me is because I watched the deleted scene between Black Knight and Sprite in the museum.

Interesting. I wonder why something that was key to explaining the plot like that was deleted.

Where do we find this? YooToobs?
Post 35 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
i just watched it at home
and it was good

i am starting to think the tv shows are better than the movies now.

looking forward to moon knight more than anything in the movies from marvel.

to me the movies now are just getting so overloaded with action i want a slower show with more backstory

to me daredevil on netflix blows away anything from the MCU out of the water
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:

Interesting. I wonder why something that was key to explaining the plot like that was deleted.

clickable text
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:

clickable text

Cool, thanks. Yeah that's kind of crazy, why would they delete such a short yet informative scene?
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:

bonus new movie......Captain Marvel Movie - Purple man and Silver dude kill Captain Marvel as they make their way to earth - also skrulls and kree

Was this an Easter egg or something?
Post 39 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

bonus new movie......Captain Marvel Movie - Purple man and Silver dude kill Captain Marvel as they make their way to earth - also skrulls and kree

Was this an Easter egg or something?

no...just how i think things should have played out - should have had 3 Eternals movies instead of 1 and at the end of the 3rd they should have teased Galactus with the next marvel movie being a Galactus movie where he and surfer kill Captain Marvel (the character is too powerful and the actress too annoying!!)
Post 40 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Enjoyed it, but I like the books as well. Anyone who thought they were walking into an Avengers flick was going to be disappointed for sure. Where is Karkas?

Post 41 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 42 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse
Enjoyed it, but I like the books as well. Anyone who thought they were walking into an Avengers flick was going to be disappointed for sure. Where is Karkas?

Exactly! It's not your usual superhero fare...hopefully he shows up in the sequels.
Post 43 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
My dad watched this before me, which is the first time he's ever seen a movie before receiving my 'review'. He texted me 5 minutes in saying, "this movie sucks". My dad is a man who enjoys pretty much everything.

I watched it yesterday, and I completely agree with him. It's by far the worst MCU film. Worse than The Incredible Hulk, Captain Marvel, etc. I told him that it would be tough to beat those.

The story is bad, the dialogue is bad, and there are very few redeeming qualities. Nanjiani is the only 'lead' with any charisma. With how they nerfed Celestials, I expect to see The Thing defeat Galactus by himself.

1/10, do not recommend. There is less than 10 minutes of footage that I would consider entertaining.
Post 44 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

No Way Home is the only standout in Phase Bore so far. Multiverse of Madness has potential, but I'm keeping expectations low.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse

Exactly! It's not your usual superhero fare...hopefully he shows up in the sequels.

Sequels!? Plural?!
Post 46 IP   flag post
IMO they overreached. Superheroes are fine, I’d argue even casual comic fans know about Spider-Man, iron man etc. But now they want to talk about space men, aliens, firmaments and all that crap. It doesn’t work, it seems like regular science fiction and not the Marvel that damn near everyone knows. Over ambitious or just plain dumb. Stick to tried and true, Eternals is neither.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Just watched it, liked it. It had the bones of a much better story but its bones were squeezed to fit into a feature length.
With the potential death or shrinkage of movie theaters I could see these sorts of stories only appearing in episodic form in the future, where you have hours longer to flesh out a story
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
The story is bad, the dialogue is bad, and there are very few redeeming qualities. Nanjiani is the only 'lead' with any charisma.

Was it just me or did one of the guys sound like he had a cold when he talked?
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Just watched it, liked it. It had the bones of a much better story but its bones were squeezed to fit into a feature length.
With the potential death or shrinkage of movie theaters I could see these sorts of stories only appearing in episodic form in the future, where you have hours longer to flesh out a story

Yeah, this one probably should have been a Disney+ series.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
The story is bad, the dialogue is bad, and there are very few redeeming qualities. Nanjiani is the only 'lead' with any charisma.

Was it just me or did one of the guys sound like he had a cold when he talked?

Well, they have to make money to merit series / sequels / etc. so they need some way of judging that with a streaming series vs. a movie.

I think stories like this (and "Inhumans" (if they did it like the comic, just one example of that deep Marvel epic storyline like Galactus / Surfer / Celestials, Kang / Guardians, etc), need the time and space to as @EbayMafia said to "flesh out" the story because they have tendrils and back stories that literally go on forever and reach into so many OTHER stories, etc.

The odd ones like "Blade" were done way before there was a plan for a MCU, they were just "Hey lets make a neat comic book movie!" category. You can't do that with "Eternals" or "Silver Surfer / Galactus" arc, etc., there's just too much there.
Post 51 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
About to watch it.....
Post 52 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Don't do it. Friends don't let friends watch The Eternals.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Hayek got a little chunky.
Post 54 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Don't do it. Friends don't let friends watch The Eternals.

LOL! I am just a junkie, need a fix. Anyway, I will probably fall asleep watching it. Got to work early this morning and need to be up for more grading tomorrow. I have been falling asleep during too many movies, getting old or maybe they just suck.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600771 101 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?