Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Interesting comparision of slabs/labels16663

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Whynotv2 private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting mention of the books possibly sliding or being off centered in the PGX due to no inner chamber. I have a Silver Surfer vol.1 #1 that has a detached cover which I had CGC grade (my first book since entering the world of grading which I was sure to include a sticky not asking that it be graded with a blue label and not a green and they honored that). The book stays where it is supposed to, but the cover itself moves with a bit of tapping. It's all good though and highlights the "front cover detached" note on it. So CGC may be 'tight', as long as your book is intact and doesn't have a detached cover.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
I like the CBCS label better because it does not, in my opinion, take away focus from the book. On CGC and the other, the grade draws your eye to it first instead of the book.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Ok if CBCS is clearer and sturdier than Cgc then why did he pick Cgc to preserve and display his comics?

This guy makes me not want to watch his videos he doesn’t make any since.

Maybe I’m the only one but if CBCS is clearer and sturdier then that is what I would pick to display my books in.

I know he said he likes CBCS better than Cgc but then he flips. Lol
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Whynotv2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Ok if CBCS is clearer and sturdier than Cgc then why did he pick Cgc to preserve and display his comics?

Maybe I’m the only one but if CBCS is clearer and sturdier then that is what I would pick to display my books in.

When does he say he picked CGC for his comics? Where does he flip? He says several times he likes CBCS better and it's his choice. At the beginning of the video he states he's new to it all so maybe he has a mix of both because he was figuring out which he prefers and/or simply has purchased some slabs that were already CGC graded? I'm new to all of this too and I'm still waiting on my first books to come back from CBCS so I too can determine which I prefer. If I choose CBCS, I'm not going to spend the money to have my CGC books regraded and slabbed in CBCS case, and the reverse if I choose CGC. So I'll have both in my collection as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
It never ceases to amaze me how much people care about the look of a label. It's just not a deal breaker ... at all. Sure some look better than others but it's not a huge deal to me. All I expect the label to have is the information necessary to convey to me and potential buyers.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
people love the sticker grade look cgc has but I like cbcs' as it looks like one solid label.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a fan of custom labels myself.
I just like the labels having the grade and other information on them, publication date, artists and other information about the book itself.

And I do display my lower grades. 👍

I found the video to be unbiased and it just has his opinions as he looks at all three companies subjectively.

Also out of my books.
I made sure two of the books that were restored were sent to cbcs to get the usual blue label so they don't stick out when I display them.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
the cgc custom labels to me look ok.
nothing great by any means
Post 9 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
if you look at the cgc custom label of the fantastic four it was not not planned out well at all.
on the label you cant see the "thing" its blocked out by the cgc logo.

i called cgc on this and they were shocked

i said when they created the custom logo of the fantastic four nobody in the room did not see that the thing hero was blocked out by the cgc logo

its a joke
Post 10 IP   flag post
i said why not have the fantastic four be in closer to the middle .

if its a custom logo we should be able to see the entire team not 3
Post 11 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I'm not a fan of custom labels myself.
I just like the labels having the grade and other information on them, publication date, artists and other information about the book itself.

And I do display my lower grades. 👍

Also out of my books.
I made sure two of the books that were restored were sent to cbcs to get the usual blue label so they don't stick out when I display them.

I almost prefer displaying lower grade books. There is something “historical” or vintage about the look of lower grade, older books… to a point.

It is funny because I don’t feel the same about cars… though modest “patina” is fine…
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I never understood the appeal of the CGC sticker on the slab, especially when it covers up the custom labels. You would think they would've changed to something similar to CBCS years ago.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980
if you look at the cgc custom label of the fantastic four it was not not planned out well at all.
on the label you cant see the "thing" its blocked out by the cgc logo.

i said when they created the custom logo of the fantastic four nobody in the room did not see that the thing hero was blocked out by the cgc logo

its a joke

One of the worst and most obvious design flaws I've seen in a long, LONG time. The customer service mailbox got lambasted because I didn't want to go off on anyone over the phone that had nothing to do with it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980

@beastboy1980 if I may ask, approximately how often were you on the phone with CGC?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
His thoughts on structural integrity on point. The 2 CGC slabs I cracked for a CBCS CPR I was able to pull apart with my fingers with minimal force. I don’t that’s supposed to happen.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
His thoughts on structural integrity on point. The 2 CGC slabs I cracked for a CBCS CPR I was able to pull apart with my fingers with minimal force. I don’t that’s supposed to happen.

@HulkSmash not Smash, @HulkSmash Rip but not tear!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
I’m surprised PGX is still around and a choice. I thought there was zero
Confidence in the company considering the horror stories I’ve heard of them
Swapping books, etc.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash

Ironic coming from @HulkSmash
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector zuckuss2003 private msg quote post Address this user
In terms of the best label, I agree with others, less distraction from the comic cover is better. I might even like some sort of case where the label might be on the back of the slab, and the case wouldn't even need to be so tall then. But, I could see how that doesn't help dealers sell their books.
Post 20 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@zuckuss2003 Hey, glad to see you on the CBCS boards. I haven't seen you since one of the years I worked Dale Roberts' booth at NYCC.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@zuckuss2003 Welcome to the forum!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head

If you watched all the videos in this series you will see where 2 of the test book cases he sent to CGC came back destroyed. They sent the five he sent back in three different shipments. One of the boxes the cases were badly cracked. I hope not bad enough to hurt the books, he didn't say.

He apparently didn't realize that CGC will ship the books back to you in different shipments if they aren't all the same. He has the custom Spider-Man label on one. Here's the CGC video:
Post 23 IP   flag post
600879 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?