Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The cgc to start charging dealers an annual membership fee of $199.16658

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd that is just sad - if one could say that it is one of a kind - but seems not
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
Dealers are theoretically in business to make money. Submitting less means making less money theoretically so that goes against all logic. (Regular Dealers can get close to slab prices on pretty much all grades except 9.6 and above I'd hazard based on grading reputation.) That grading reputation is hard-won though and is a result of many years of being in business and generating a loyal customer base. So not every dealer can get close to slabbed prices for raw comics.

Dealers will just pass that extra cost onto their customers... Simple as that.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckao
Submitting less means making less money theoretically so that goes against all logic.

You're right about that. And submitting less out of spite after you've paid the annual fee goes even more against logic.

Quote:

Not really, the market will still determine the price same as it always has. But in the scheme of things it's an irrelevant amount of money over the course of a years sales.
Post 78 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's not the amount. It's the principle.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector TigerRose1981 private msg quote post Address this user
This is kind of off topic but since ya'll were talking about tats, I thought I'd ask....

Should I be concerned about a comic that I sent for signing and grading 7 months ago, still showing as only in the invoice stage? I shipped another with that order for signature verification and grading and received it back several months ago. I've tried reaching out via telly and email multiple times but have yet to hear back. Was just curious cuz it was my first time sending anything as I'm a newbie!! Lol!

Was very pleased with the one I received back!!
Post 80 IP   flag post

I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Dealers are theoretically in business to make money. Submitting less means making less money theoretically so that goes against all logic. (Regular Dealers can get close to slab prices on pretty much all grades except 9.6 and above I'd hazard based on grading reputation.) That grading reputation is hard-won though and is a result of many years of being in business and generating a loyal customer base. So not every dealer can get close to slabbed prices for raw comics.

its true what you say.
but even if i pay the fee of say $200
i will still right off the bat give more to cbcs now.
cgc to me is not showing any real signs of making it a better run place if anything its a mess over there and a money grab.

i dont see it as if you give cgc less its bad. to me i see giving cbcs more orders as a plus. i do not like how cgc is running there place now. and all they will do is ram it down more if we take it
Post 81 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
and i see routinely cbcs comics being sold for the same price or super close.

where cgc leads the market is the the holy grails . and to me thats always a debate of what it really went for and not some sales marketing tool to prop them up.
Post 82 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Even though everyone will complain, the truth is most will continue on as if nothing has happened. $200 will not break anyones bank as far as fees go. A few may test different waters, but the grading wheel will grind on. It will grind on slowly, but it will continue going round and round.
Post 83 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
It seems to me that CBCCS is more than content to continue to play a distant second fiddle and live off of CGC's left over scraps.

CBCS and their year after year lack of implementing any kind of competent customer service program is becoming almost like a legendary company logo for them.

Its laughable that anybody thinks that CBCS could even remotely handle any kind of serious influx of business at the expense of CGC that would cause any kind of notable market share loss. CBCS simply does not employee a staff big enough to compete at a level to pose any kind of threat to CGC.

Im content with the nice little niche market CBCS has carved out for themselves and I love their slab quality.

It also gives the CGC haters a place to go rather than just blindly screaming at the sky, but lets not get carried away thinking its any thing more than that.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@CFP_Comics
@BigRedOne1944

Parts of what you both say I agree with and parts not so much. But overall both posts seem to lack some perspective or nuance.

CBCS has already had a large increase in submissions. A lot of that starting summer of 2021 after CGC's price increases and their TAT's through the roof.

I'm not on discussion boards to promote my own business of cleaning and pressing comics so I never mention it. But I need to bring it up here. Since June of 2021, I had two of my four dealer accounts (that is store owners I press books for) start using CBCS almost entirely. Leaving CGC. One remains brand loyal to CGC and one is like me - uses whomever seems best for whatever being sent in and the circumstances/needs of the moment.

I'm just one little niche in huge market, but since June of 2021 I sent - in total - nearly as many clients books to CBCS as CGC. A 40/60 split. That is a huge increase for CBCS from years before. Despite my overall number of books pressed and sent to grading companies be much more in 2021 than 2020, I sent fewer books to CGC in 2021 than 2020.

Of course CBCS's TAT have increased to close to what CGC is at - on their LEAST EXPENSIVE tiers. But one of the two dealers that switched to CBCS lives by "time is money" mantra. He doesn't use the least expensive tiers ever. And CBCS absolutely DOMINATES CGC on the faster, more expensive tiers. Right now the only CGC tier that gets someone their books back in a month or less is walkthrough at $150 a book retail. CBCS can do that with multiple different tiers starting at $50 retail for 1975 and later books and $58 for pre 1975 books.

The sky is not falling for CGC - this $199 dealer account annual charge and a second price increase in less than a year will not cause a mass exodus of dealers and submissions leaving CGC. But CGC and those saying this will not change anything are also not fully grounded in reality. A small price increase by CGC and opportunity to get books back quickly from CBCS already drove a bunch of business CBCS's way. This will just add to that trend. It is - as I have said before - not an all or nothing, switch or stay situation. This WILL lead to more people giving CBCS a try and perhaps liking the experience and final product.

And at the risk of harping on a single point, IMHO CGC underestimates the role of dealers as influencers. For 20+ years, CGC seemed to believe their association with dealers was beneficial to CGC. Now CGC appears to believe that it is dealers that mostly benefit from their association with CGC. A lot of people ask me about which grading company. When people walk into the stores of the two dealers that have switched to CBCS and see LOTS of CBCS comics out for sale, that has an influence. That CBCS is just like CGC. Maybe better since the comic shop they use has so many now.

Even small gains in market share have the potential for big changes in how CBCS is viewed. People think of CGC as #1 because on eBay that is what most of the graded books for sale are. But if CBCS becomes more commonly seen, people's views may well change.

I believe this may well be - or turn into - a situation best described by the text on your car's rear view mirrors. "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"
Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
I'm just one little niche in huge market, but since June of 2021 I sent - in total - nearly as many clients books to CBCS as CGC. A 40/60 split. That is a huge increase for CBCS from years before. Despite my overall number of books pressed and sent to grading companies be much more in 2021 than 2020, I sent fewer books to CGC in 2021 than 2020.

@IronMan Although your sample size is small, I think that is meaningful data. I think we are seeing the results in the resell market also as the price/liquidity gap closes with CGC.
Here's what I would like to see CBCS do going forward:
1) No longer give estimated TAT's for Modern and Extended tiers. No need to eliminate those tiers, just make it clear that when we use those discount priced tiers we are flying stand-by and there is no true estimation of when our submission will get to the top of the que.
2) Make some small conciliatory gesture to higher volume submitters who got caught up in the 2021 flood and saw lead times go 3x-4x of what was stated at the time. I'm thinking something like a coupon to help move us into the fast pass tiers for future submissions. Maybe something like one or two 50% off Fast-Pass coupons for every $500 spent with CBCS over the last 24 months. This would serve the purpose of easing us into the future reality of more expensive tiers but would also smooth over hard feelings for the TAT disaster of 2021. I know for myself I have thousands of dollars in books submitted in April/May that did not get back to me in time to sell them in 2021. Some small gesture to acknowledge that frustration would go a long ways towards burying it in the past.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I know for myself I have thousands of dollars in books submitted in April/May that did not get back to me in time to sell them in 2021. Some small gesture to acknowledge that frustration would go a long ways towards burying it in the past.

THIS!
Post 87 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia

I'm not well versed in customer service, so maybe my thinking is illogical, but in my opinion, I would think you have to give some kind of turn around time. Even if it is a long time, the consumer needs to have some kind of expectation. If you completely blank it out, what is the customer going to think? Will it be 1 year or 5 years before my items get addressed?

Edit.

Or maybe I'm not understanding your post correctly....
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Even small gains in market share have the potential for big changes in how CBCS is viewed. People think of CGC as #1 because on eBay that is what most of the graded books for sale are. But if CBCS becomes more commonly seen, people's views may well change.

I believe this may well be - or turn into - a situation best described by the text on your car's rear view mirrors. "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

@IronMan That's a great way of putting it. I think most of us who use CBCS consistently have banked on the idea that over time the FMV of a CBCS will reach something akin to parity with a CGC slab...or CBCS slabs could possibly even become more desirable than CGC once the liquidity fears are overcome. Call me crazy but I actually don't believe it will stop at just parity. If CBCS plays their cards right this event may have moved that horizon up to 18 months rather than 5-10 years. If I worked at CBCS right now I would be sick to my stomach with the magnitude...and fragility...of the opportunity in front of them right now.
Post 89 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia + improve client service. would like to see a decrease of ppl joining the forum just to say that they cannot contact cbcs or when they do contact them they do not call back as promised etc
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I'm not well versed in customer service, so maybe my thinking is illogical, but in my opinion, I would think you have to give some kind of turn around time. Even if it is a long time, the consumer needs to have some kind of expectation. If you completely blank it out, what is the customer going to think? Will it be 1 year or 5 years before my items get addressed?

@Bronte You do have to give a stated TAT for the tiers that you want customers to use. And maybe you would if it included additional services like pressing or Signature Verification. But for those books coming in at the $18 price with no additional services...I don't see how they have any value to CBCS in the current environment. I say that recognizing that all I've ever used in the past is the lowest price tiers.
Post 91 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe I'm dense, but from what you are stating it seems almost like you want them to take a dump on the most common tier so they can focus on the more expensive tiers....

If that's the case, I would say eliminate the tier rather then make it so bad that customer service will never hear the end of it....
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Maybe I'm dense, but from what you are stating it seems almost like you want them to take a dump on the most common tier so they can focus on the more expensive tiers....

Actually, that already happened. We learned this year that low price tier submissions get bumped for higher price tier submissions. There's no need to eliminate it, plenty of people still care about getting the lowest prices over TAT's. I'm just saying make it clear from the start that you are flying stand-by when you use the cheapest tiers. In my opinion it's better to just say "currently grading Modern tier submissions from July" and let submitters draw their own conclusions. No need to give them an estimated TAT that may or may not be realistic.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If that's the case, I would say eliminate the tier rather then make it so bad that customer service will never hear the end of it....

IDK... I mean you could argue both sides

I believe that it's important to have the lowest cost/slowest tiers just for market share. People will want some sort of estimate. Probably better to say worse than they believe and surprise than try to be accurate and disappoint. But I don't believe anything holds CBCS back that lots more CBCS books in the for sale markets would not fix.

However - that's not Apple's approach. They are darlings of Wall Street with only a 14% share of the overall phone market. But they only market mid and premium phones. So maybe?.....

As for other's comments about customer service, there are a lot of complaints here on the boards and FB. Bringing it in house would probably help that. I believe we have read here on the boards that CBCS is working towards that? Bringing customer service in house? But I wouldn't be surprised to see these money grabbing overlords at CCG eyeing off-shoring customer service to save $$ and hit numbers sometime in the future. We'll see.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@EbayMafia + improve client service. would like to see a decrease of ppl joining the forum just to say that they cannot contact cbcs or when they do contact them they do not call back as promised etc

@poka I think "customer service" is one of those easier-said-than-done things. I think a lot of what we saw on the forum was from the website having misleading information about TAT's and setting very wrong expectations for new people submitting books. I don't know what the process is for updating the website, but I would think that a "Frequent Questions" section plus keeping the information there current and accurate would probably eliminate about 75% of the customer service inquiries.
Post 95 IP   flag post
@IronMan

Personally I think they should leave the lowest tier intact. I think it would be a huge disservice to the comic community to eliminate the tier. cbcs has in my mind emphasized the catering to the hobby and not just the almighty dollar.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

@poka I think "customer service" is one of those easier-said-than-done things. I think a lot of what we saw on the forum was from the website having misleading information about TAT's and setting very wrong expectations for new people submitting books. I don't know what the process is for updating the website, but I would think that a "Frequent Questions" section plus keeping the information there current and accurate would probably eliminate about 75% of the customer service inquiries.

Agreed - but the worst client service is when you don’t respond to questions from your customers, take their calls or don’t get back as promised. I like CBCS - but client service is probably 1 of the 2 areas where I think CBCS is doing a big disservice to itself
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRose1981
This is kind of off topic but since ya'll were talking about tats, I thought I'd ask....

Should I be concerned about a comic that I sent for signing and grading 7 months ago, still showing as only in the invoice stage? I shipped another with that order for signature verification and grading and received it back several months ago. I've tried reaching out via telly and email multiple times but have yet to hear back. Was just curious cuz it was my first time sending anything as I'm a newbie!! Lol!

Was very pleased with the one I received back!!

The problem - regarding TAT on signing event books - is that when the creator/celebrity will actually do the signing can vary a lot from when it was originally planned. My Bob Layton signature submission is just showing received and it's been four months now. Tom Hiddleston's signature event with CGC seems to have been delayed based on a book I sent in for a friend. So delays seem to be a common thing with these in house or grading company arranged signings.

If you post up who the signature event was for there may be people on the board here that know what the status of that particular signature event is. I suggest you post such up as a separate topic as it is likely to get overlooked in this one.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
@IronMan

Personally I think they should leave the lowest tier intact. I think it would be a huge disservice to the comic community to eliminate the tier. cbcs has in my mind emphasized the catering to the hobby and not just the almighty dollar.

@Bronte I agree with you. I just think it needs to be made abundantly clear to people where they stand on the totem pole when they chose the low-price option. Being bumped out of the que caught me and a lot of other people by surprise this year...it shouldn't be catching people by surprise going forward.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector TigerRose1981 private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan thank you so much for your help! That is a great idea, I never would have thought to do that! The signature I'm speaking about was for James Tynion IV, but I also submitted 3 books for the same Bob Layton signing you mentioned and they are in the processing stage. The Tynion was a couple of months prior to that. I'll definitely start a new feed inquiring about the Tynion signing! Thank you again for your help!!😊
Post 100 IP   flag post
I was lazily leafing through a similar thread on the cgc boards and this caught my attention:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant
Why do it? 1 answer. It gets a dealer used to paying "something" for the privilege of being a dealer. Next year or the year after, when it's time to renew that dealer fee, who knows what the prices will be. And oh, by the way, read that dealer agreement again.

Anything disparaging CGC is grounds to be terminated as a dealer.

Makes one think. Turn up the heat slowly and the frog doesn't realize it's being boiled.
Post 101 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@CFP_Comics
@BigRedOne1944

Parts of what you both say I agree with and parts not so much. But overall both posts seem to lack some perspective or nuance.

CBCS has already had a large increase in submissions. A lot of that starting summer of 2021 after CGC's price increases and their TAT's through the roof.

I'm not on discussion boards to promote my own business of cleaning and pressing comics so I never mention it. But I need to bring it up here. Since June of 2021, I had two of my four dealer accounts (that is store owners I press books for) start using CBCS almost entirely. Leaving CGC. One remains brand loyal to CGC and one is like me - uses whomever seems best for whatever being sent in and the circumstances/needs of the moment.

Of course CBCS's TAT have increased to close to what CGC is at - on their LEAST EXPENSIVE tiers. But one of the two dealers that switched to CBCS lives by "time is money" mantra. He doesn't use the least expensive tiers ever. And CBCS absolutely DOMINATES CGC on the faster, more expensive tiers. Right now the only CGC tier that gets someone their books back in a month or less is walkthrough at $150 a book retail. CBCS can do that with multiple different tiers starting at $50 retail for 1975 and later books and $58 for pre 1975 books.

The sky is not falling for CGC - this $199 dealer account annual charge and a second price increase in less than a year will not cause a mass exodus of dealers and submissions leaving CGC. But CGC and those saying this will not change anything are also not fully grounded in reality. A small price increase by CGC and opportunity to get books back quickly from CBCS already drove a bunch of business CBCS's way. This will just add to that trend. It is - as I have said before - not an all or nothing, switch or stay situation. This WILL lead to more people giving CBCS a try and perhaps liking the experience and final product.

And at the risk of harping on a single point, IMHO CGC underestimates the role of dealers as influencers. For 20+ years, CGC seemed to believe their association with dealers was beneficial to CGC. Now CGC appears to believe that it is dealers that mostly benefit from their association with CGC. A lot of people ask me about which grading company. When people walk into the stores of the two dealers that have switched to CBCS and see LOTS of CBCS comics out for sale, that has an influence. That CBCS is just like CGC. Maybe better since the comic shop they use has so many now.

If we are talking empirical data, I just dropped off about 2,500 books to CGC. In that same time period I mailed out 37 to CBCS. I had one customer previous to that ask me to send his magazines to CBCS instead of CGC. I am not seeing any kind of meaningful shift in where books are submitted despite listing that I submit to both companies on my website. It may happen, but it is not happening ATM.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics

If we are talking empirical data, I just dropped off about 2,500 books to CGC. In that same time period I mailed out 37 to CBCS. I had one customer previous to that ask me to send his magazines to CBCS instead of CGC. I am not seeing any kind of meaningful shift in where books are submitted despite listing that I submit to both companies on my website. It may happen, but it is not happening ATM.

That's eye-opening.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:

It stands to reason that you press more books that end up being graded by the cgc versus CBCS. Why wouldn't it? The fact that you hand carry the books to the cgc versus mailing them out to CBCS would also be a contributing factor in those numbers. When CBCS was based in Florida, I would guess that you hand delivered more books to CBCS than you are currently mailing out to Texas.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

It stands to reason that you press more books that end up being graded by the cgc versus CBCS. Why wouldn't it? The fact that you hand carry the books to the cgc versus mailing them out to CBCS would also be a contributing factor in those numbers. When CBCS was based in Florida, I would guess that you hand delivered more books to CBCS than you are currently mailing out to Texas.

Your guess would be correct, but it typically was a 1-10 ratio.
Post 105 IP   flag post
600678 136 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?