Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The cgc to start charging dealers an annual membership fee of $199.16658

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Alot of people still place a premium on CGC books. If CBCS could get control of their TATs, that might be enough to make loyal CGC customers switch. CBCS would need to do this fast though.

Registry is the key
Post 51 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Alot of people still place a premium on CGC books. If CBCS could get control of their TATs, that might be enough to make loyal CGC customers switch. CBCS would need to do this fast though.

Registry is the key

The Registry turned worthless lumps of coal into sought after diamonds.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980
cbcs i hope can reduce turn around times to say 12 weeks or so.

Does your TAT start when the item is shown as being delivered or after it is opened and entered into the system as being received?
Post 53 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
After switching over to CBCS years ago it doesn't look like CGC is trying very hard to get me back.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Does your TAT start when the item is shown as being delivered or after it is opened and entered into the system as being received?

When it’s in the system, I believe.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Quote:

I think TAT starts when the books are received.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Quote:

I think TAT starts when the books are received.

Not sure if the TAT's being tossed around in the TAT thread are correct, have other issues, or if they have pressing being done but they are way over 12 weeks.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Not sure if the TAT's being tossed around in the TAT thread are correct, have other issues, or if they have pressing being done but they are way over 12 weeks.

Over the years, I have learned that MANY, practically all new users for the last 3-4 years, use their dashboard date as their starting tat. That date is the date the invoice is created. CBCS starts the tat the business day after they have physically received them or the Wednesday after the con. If someone takes two weeks or a month to figure out what they want on the invoice and the invoice is open, that throws off what they think is their tat.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Over the years, I have learned that MANY, practically all new users for the last 3-4 years, use their dashboard date as their starting tat. That date is the date the invoice is created. CBCS starts the tat the business day after they have physically received them or the Wednesday after the con. If someone takes two weeks or a month to figure out what they want on the invoice and the invoice is open, that throws off what they think is their tat.

Yes - but there is reason for so many people using the invoice date. Because that's the only date showing on the dashboard

Originally, the intention was for receiving to update the invoice date to date books were received. But it never consistently happened and I see no indication it's now even something they want or try to do.

For myself, I just add 4-5 business days to the date showing (the day I made the invoice) because I nearly always ship books the same or next day after doing the submission forms. But CBCS might save a few phone calls if they would list the date books are received by them somewhere on the dashboard.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Does that explain this posted 4 days ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
My Reholder delivered July 29th is in “grading” today
Post 60 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Does that explain this posted 4 days ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
My Reholder delivered July 29th is in “grading” today

LOL!! No. Dielinfinite is probably more knowledgeable of CBCS procedure than most people working at the CBCS con booth and probably more than some CBCS office people. Nope, this is something else.
Post 61 IP   flag post
So far that’s 24 weeks on a reholder. I wonder how many weeks that’s going to take.
Post 62 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
cgc to me is like john gotti
pay me my money by 2/18/22
or its in the hole for you

they look like the mob

CGC makes all kinds of mistakes, but this sort of fanboyism doesn't do either brand any favors.
Post 63 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Alot of people still place a premium on CGC books.

May be but I have been blown out of the water lately on the CBCS books I have bid on at auction. The last one sold for $300 more than the last sale on GPA of the cgc graded equivalent.

i agree
i sold cbcs books for more than cgc
it all depends to me on the buyer and his feedback and if i want to move some books to make room for some cash to get more orders out.

is cgc the market leader yes. but i dont think cbcs is far behind.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

CBCS might get some more customers but most will never abandon CGC no matter what because they so firmly believe in all propaganda that so many people throw around. There are so many artificial construct that just make me shake my head and CGC remaining the top of the heap is one of many that just stifles the hobby. Collectors are their own worst enemy and they would never, ever, ever, admit it.
Post 65 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

CBCS might get some more customers but most will never abandon CGC no matter what because they so firmly believe in all propaganda that so many people throw around. There are so many artificial construct that just make me shake my head and CGC remaining the top of the heap is one of many that just stifles the hobby. Collectors are their own worst enemy and they would never, ever, ever, admit it.

i am starting to lean the other way on the scale now about this.
one reason they are charging dealers now a flat fee of $200 and even if this is just a pinch of salt to the big dealers yes they will pay cgc they need to have a horse in that race.
But keep in mind the dealers can just slowly scale back there cgc orders and shift them to say cbcs.
Keep in mind the long wait times for cgc. to me cbcs has to have a better turn around time than cgc. even if its say 4 weeks.
If they can slowly secure better times they can really hit them in the ass good cgc
Post 66 IP   flag post
cgc is going to feel it

i know dealers already who are not sending in all there moderns to cgc anymore. they will send in to cbcs and right there its less orders.

cgc is the market leader yes. but keep in mind nothing last forever.
did anybody ever think that back in say 1983 that apple computers would at the end of the decade be almost out of business.

CGC is not inventing the wheel they are grading comics.

what we as consumers need is a service that cares about the consumer and the hobby. cgc is operating like gorden gecko
Post 67 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
CGC remaining the top of the heap is one of many that just stifles the hobby.
How is CGC stifling the hobby?
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
@beastboy1980 they should just get it over it and recommend using CBCS for slabbing! lol. In my country you can still cash a check in even if the date hasn't arrived! Remember Blockbuster?

@EbayMafia TAT's for moderns are 25 weeks according to the CBCS page, is this not the reality?

@00slim I'm always hearing a dealer friend state he's finished with this bulls@it but he has customers to take care off so he never stops submissions.

@Towmater from what I understand they back date the orders from when they were received so TAT's should start running on arrival date but I'd go with what @Jesse_O said.

I hope my responses are understood as I hadn't read this thread for a couple of days and had 54 unread messages.
Post 69 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
and CGC wonders why they are losing us...
Post 70 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
and CGC wonders why they are losing us...

I actually think it's kind of the opposite. People who didn't see the need to support a competitive alternative for the last 7 years are now wondering why the near monopoly doesn't need them. There were legitimate reasons not to support PGX as a competitive alternative. But CBCS didn't have those same credibility issues. The reason was always simply that people were more comfortable doing what the majority did. Even when buying a slabbed book, the only reason to prefer CGC to CBCS is because it's what the majority prefers.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckao
No dealers will switch because of this... unless they aren't really dealers anymore anyway.

Elite Members already pay more than that for a lower discount (10%). And I bet many Elite Members submit more than many dealers who used to submit but no longer do for whatever reason.

The value proposition then isn't really that great for Elite Members when the Dealer Membership is lower with a better discount.

I've seen this comment and variations of it multiple times on the CGC forums.

It misses a major point. I could - and probably will - pay the $199. But paying the $199 is done with serious resentment. I will do all possible to send less books to CGC and more to the competition in 2022. Something that I already had done the last seven months of 2021 - just over a 5% reduction in the dealer discount.

So it's not an all or nothing, make a switch situation.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan Yeah. I canceled my premium membership over there. I’ll be sending books to CBCS for the foreseeable future, but unfortunately, I’m sure they’ll get some of my business eventually. Just not nearly as much.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
No dealers will switch because of this... unless they aren't really dealers anymore anyway.

Elite Members already pay more than that for a lower discount (10%). And I bet many Elite Members submit more than many dealers who used to submit but no longer do for whatever reason.

The value proposition then isn't really that great for Elite Members when the Dealer Membership is lower with a better discount.

I've seen this comment and variations of it multiple times on the CGC forums.

It misses a major point. I could - and probably will - pay the $199. But paying the $199 is done with serious resentment. I will do all possible to send less books to CGC and more to the competition in 2022. Something that I already had done the last seven months of 2021 - just over a 5% reduction in the dealer discount.

So it's not an all or nothing, make a switch situation.

i agree just send them less.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I have another reason to send them less. They can't tell Batman and Superman apart. I am having trouble fathoming how even a 6-year-old in this country would be unable to tell Batman from Superman, but apparently the folks at CGC are experiencing difficulties in that area. Check out the books I just got back from the Jim Lee signing today:

Not a single one is correct, and I am also having issues with a couple of the grades, too, but with all my complaints of CGC handing out too many 9.8's I guess this had to happen at some point.

Thanks, CGC. This is what we all pony up the big(ger) bucks for.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd that is just sad - if one could say that it is one of a kind - but seems not
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
Dealers are theoretically in business to make money. Submitting less means making less money theoretically so that goes against all logic. (Regular Dealers can get close to slab prices on pretty much all grades except 9.6 and above I'd hazard based on grading reputation.) That grading reputation is hard-won though and is a result of many years of being in business and generating a loyal customer base. So not every dealer can get close to slabbed prices for raw comics.

Dealers will just pass that extra cost onto their customers... Simple as that.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Submitting less means making less money theoretically so that goes against all logic.

You're right about that. And submitting less out of spite after you've paid the annual fee goes even more against logic.

Quote:
Dealers will just pass that extra cost onto their customers... Simple as that.

Not really, the market will still determine the price same as it always has. But in the scheme of things it's an irrelevant amount of money over the course of a years sales.
Post 78 IP   flag post
It's not the amount. It's the principle.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector TigerRose1981 private msg quote post Address this user
This is kind of off topic but since ya'll were talking about tats, I thought I'd ask....

Should I be concerned about a comic that I sent for signing and grading 7 months ago, still showing as only in the invoice stage? I shipped another with that order for signature verification and grading and received it back several months ago. I've tried reaching out via telly and email multiple times but have yet to hear back. Was just curious cuz it was my first time sending anything as I'm a newbie!! Lol!

Was very pleased with the one I received back!!
Post 80 IP   flag post
601333 136 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?