Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The cgc to start charging dealers an annual membership fee of $199.16658

Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
The sad part for CBCS is that with 8 month TAT's they are not in a position to benefit from CGC's actions. The long TAT's are also likely to derail the magazine slab launch. What should be a great opportunity to make a Publicity splash (particularly with signature verification on magazines) will likely get a muted response and fizzle due to long TAT's. The TAT's don't even have to return to 8 weeks for people to get excited about them. Now that we are conditioned to long TAT's, just get them down to 12-16 weeks and it will be huge. The easiest way to start fixing TAT's is to institute a minimum submission size...probably around $250. It's much better than raising prices. When you raise prices everyone complains. When you institute a minimum submission size, the customers that are important to your business don't complain.

I nominate EbayMafia for some sort consulting position at CBCS
Post 26 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The easiest way to start fixing TAT's is to institute a minimum submission size...probably around $250. It's much better than raising prices. When you raise prices everyone complains. When you institute a minimum submission size, the customers that are important to your business don't complain.

I mentioned this to Ricketts some time ago. There needs to be a minimum per tier as well as a dollar minimum. They aren't going to turn away an Action 1 because it's just one book.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
No dealers will switch because of this... unless they aren't really dealers anymore anyway.

Elite Members already pay more than that for a lower discount (10%). And I bet many Elite Members submit more than many dealers who used to submit but no longer do for whatever reason.

The value proposition then isn't really that great for Elite Members when the Dealer Membership is lower with a better discount.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980
i see cbcs has getting control of there tots

"their tats".
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I think CGC believes they’re too big now to be hurt by any competitor. I doubt there is any strategizing at play, here. This is a cash grab. Nothing more, nothing less.
Post 30 IP   flag post

@sckao I first heard about this increase on Facebook when a dealer announced they were done with CGC over this. I think it was a “last straw” situation.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
They were paying nothing before this for almost 20 years and getting a 20% discount. Now 15%.

Meanwhile, I had to pay $299 this past year when I got back into comics after a hiatus to get a 10% discount.

So while I understand their frustration, I wouldn't mind being a dealer actually even with the price increase.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I have a dealer account. I don't submit much, but when I do it's 30 or 40 books at a time. I won't keep my dealer account for $199 a year. If I submit any books, it will be under someone else's account.

The problem is that I will now have to use another dealer account, especially if I use an outside pressing service. The rub against the cgc is that this move will make it less complicated to just submit my books through CBCS and have them pressed in house. A one stop shop, if you will.

I'm not super keen on that idea, so I'll probably not submit anything and thereby keep everyone involved marginally happy except for myself.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
The easiest way to start fixing TAT's is to institute a minimum submission size...probably around $250. It's much better than raising prices. When you raise prices everyone complains. When you institute a minimum submission size, the customers that are important to your business don't complain.

I mentioned this to Ricketts some time ago. There needs to be a minimum per tier as well as a dollar minimum. They aren't going to turn away an Action 1 because it's just one book.

@DrWatson Most definitely any minimum submission size should be dollar based and not quantity based. The higher priced submissions are the most desirable. I'm just saying that any submission that goes through their process and creates the risk of re-work should be worth a minimum of $200-$250.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
cgc is a utter disgrace
i just got off the phone with them and said to them nicely
all you are telling me is to send in comics to cbcs

the guy said its going to help out tots
i said really thats a utter joke

its a greed grab

I thought they said the last price hike was so they could hire more people and reduce TAT?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I think CGC believes they’re too big now to be hurt by any competitor. I doubt there is any strategizing at play, here. This is a cash grab. Nothing more, nothing less.

@00slim I suspect it's more of a filtering tool. In the early days they probably set up thousands of dealer accounts. Since it's free, some of those accounts have probably continued on year after year with little to no business. It's probably a way of telling them to shit or get off the pot. I bet the bigger dealers can get this fee waived with a phone call if they care to.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia
At least one dealer has posted on CGC forums that he asked if - as a high volume submitter - if CGC would waive the dealer account fee. The answer was "no".

I find it hard to imagine this as a "filtering" tool for dealer accounts. This is just another area that Blackstone sees an opportunity to make more money
Post 37 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
cgc is a utter disgrace
i just got off the phone with them and said to them nicely
all you are telling me is to send in comics to cbcs

the guy said its going to help out tots
i said really thats a utter joke

its a greed grab

I thought they said the last price hike was so they could hire more people and reduce TAT?

he told me its going to ne used to help tot's . its going into putting new things inside in motion to help streamline the growing industry. it was all utter bullshit.

cgc to me is just using this as a money grab. i said you just raised prices across the board and already reduced the discount from 20% to 15%
to me the new company is just looking to make fast money by doing zero.
they know people will use them and secure there cgc account and if so its free money to do zero.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
cbcs i hope can reduce turn around times to say 12 weeks or so.
if they can reduce times they can grab a large market share this year.
cgc is leaving a sour taste in peoples minds now

all great places fall from grace. and its not like they are inventing the wheel they grade comics.
and do even know who there top guys are down there anymore with there current turnover.

when i think of cgc i think of steve borock from the early years . to me steve gave me the confidence to send in. who are they now nobody really nknows

cgc is prime for a peg knock down
Post 39 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
This is a calculated move. The decision makers know that adding this fee will push some dealers away but the the revenue it produces outweighs the lost revenues. CGC will increase their bottom line as a result.
Post 40 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 41 IP   flag post
i wonder how busy they really are.
one reason is cgc trying to gamble and think they will cash in big time with this move.

and even if they do get money up front i wonder how much less orders they will still get.
to me i think its a bad move by CGC.

times are tough. covid is still here. the markets are not to steady.
i think its a bad move right on the heels of a price hike.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse

all this and more for only $200

and turn around times are a year
Post 43 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Although....as a dealer $199 isn't much, I'm guessing dealers have much more submissions than us normal folk

The 15% discount means that you just need to send about $1350 in orders to make up the $200 fee; I imagine dealers clear that easily. I assume it's more than they used to pay, though?

Dealers were actively courted back in the day. When CGC opened free grading coupons were offered to many dealers. For 20 years, CGC has recognized that Dealer Accounts sent in a lot of books and influenced other people to use CGC.

So dealer accounts were free until now. With the expectation and requirement that one be a dealer and send in a minimum number of books - though the minimum was never clearly defined.

If people running CGC have some $$ amount they are trying to add to gross sales, they could simply made tiers still 50 cents or a buck more. Reducing the discount for Elite and Dealers and then implementing a yearly fee for dealer accounts clearly says they no longer place as much value on their very best customers as they used too.
Post 44 IP   flag post
this is what it looks like on my cgc

its the mafia waiting for my payment

Membership Status: Awaiting Payment

Payment Due: 2/18/2022
Post 45 IP   flag post
i feel like dating the check for 6 months and say you can cash it when you grade my last order
Post 46 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
CGC is in a position where they believe the customer needs them more than they need the customer.

They've implemented bully tactics with their competitors and now its directed at their customers.

This is certainly not the last time they will change pricing.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Alot of people still place a premium on CGC books. If CBCS could get control of their TATs, that might be enough to make loyal CGC customers switch. CBCS would need to do this fast though.
Post 48 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
CGC is in a position where they believe the customer needs them more than they need the customer.

THIS!
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Alot of people still place a premium on CGC books.

May be but I have been blown out of the water lately on the CBCS books I have bid on at auction. The last one sold for $300 more than the last sale on GPA of the cgc graded equivalent.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Alot of people still place a premium on CGC books. If CBCS could get control of their TATs, that might be enough to make loyal CGC customers switch. CBCS would need to do this fast though.

Registry is the key
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Registry is the key

The Registry turned worthless lumps of coal into sought after diamonds.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Does your TAT start when the item is shown as being delivered or after it is opened and entered into the system as being received?
Post 53 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
After switching over to CBCS years ago it doesn't look like CGC is trying very hard to get me back.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Does your TAT start when the item is shown as being delivered or after it is opened and entered into the system as being received?

When it’s in the system, I believe.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598086 136 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?