Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

Red label to Yellow label change in Grading Notes16632

Collector comixoasis private msg quote post Address this user
Hope someone else has noticed this and can help me out. I have a book that is a restored and signed copy of Amazing Fantasy 15. I went to check the grading notes on the site, and I entered the CBCS number off the label. The book in question has the older red label, but the image provided when the CBCS number is entered into the comic book grading notes search engine comes up yellow. Also, while the actual notes provided on the site match the red label, the image on the CBCS site has noted that do not. The actual red label, and the notes state "verified", while the image on the site says "witnessed". Is the image on the site some kind of updated photoshop of the actual book? Why would it show the new yellow label, when the book itself has a red? Has anyone else encountered this with one of their books?

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Something is definitely wrong somewhere. Do you have the red label book in hand? I don’t think the book depicted necessarily has the new yellow label for verified books, which debuted with the new cases. The book is in the old case so it has a yellow label because it has a witnessed signature on the label.

Assuming you have the red label book in your hand, the situation that would fit the facts would be this: the book was submitted for a red label initially but was erroneously slabbed with a yellow label and scanned. The scan would reflecting the incorrect label but the notes being correct. The book was then returned and correctly slabbed in the red label.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@comixoasis - I have to think that @dielinfinite is on the right track here. I might even conject that the photo may have been taken before final QC and that QC ascertained that there was an error and the comic was re-encased with the correct label even before being shipped back to the original submitter.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Might I also add, slightly restored or not, that is a freakin' lovely copy of AF #15.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@comixoasis - as @Byrdibyrd said, that is a freakin' lovely copy. If it were mine, I would send in for re-holder into the New Sonicweld encasement and the new yellow VSP label as to me, the Yellow label mates up better with that particular cover.

Cheers to you and that comic!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Might I also add, slightly restored or not, that is a freakin' lovely copy of AF #15.

And signed by Stan lee
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
the Yellow label mates up better with that particular cover.

It absolutely does! The red label steals some of the show from Spidey, and that ain't right.
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would bet that it was imaged for the gallery with an incorrect label, the mistake caught, the label changed, and a new image was never taken.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Assuming you have the red label book in your hand, the situation that would fit the facts would be this: the book was submitted for a red label initially but was erroneously slabbed with a yellow label and scanned.

That would mean it was also erroneously labeled as witnessed on 11/24/2015. That date was pulled out of thin air?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck Weirder things have happened
Post 10 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite
That’s weirdly specific.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd

No crap! You don’t see that posted here to often. Heck of a book. I have held a ASM 1 5.5 before but it really didn’t impress me that much. 8.0 AF 15 is top of the marks. Congrats nonetheless sir. You are truely in an elite club. 🍻
Post 12 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck - Not necessarily, may have had a COA with it when it was sent in.

Edit for further clarification…the date may have beed observed on a COA or even note from submitter to assist the BCS Verifier as to the validity of the signature. No, the do not recognize, but perhaps that is where the date reference came from, thus the errant yellow and subsequently corrected read lab. Just providing context as to where a date came from.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Scifinator

I don’t think CBCS honors or refers to those.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@dielinfinite
That’s weirdly specific.

Specific in what way? Just because a date was involved doesn’t mean it wasn’t a random mistake
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
@dielinfinite
That’s weirdly specific.

Specific in what way? Just because a date was involved doesn’t mean it wasn’t a random mistake

Begs the question, where did the “random” date come from?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Are you the one who submitted the book? Or did you buy it slabbed? If so, the previous owner might have answers. Whatever the case, that's super weird.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Assuming you have the red label book in your hand, the situation that would fit the facts would be this: the book was submitted for a red label initially but was erroneously slabbed with a yellow label and scanned.

That would mean it was also erroneously labeled as witnessed on 11/24/2015. That date was pulled out of thin air?

I noticed that too. Where did they get that date from since it wasn't on the original label? It would be disastrous if COA's are considered "witnessed signatures".
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@dielinfinite
That’s weirdly specific.

I'm assuming Labels is pretty much a data entry department. If that's the case, it's easy to see that Label errors can occur. That date could have been information from a Label created right before.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@dielinfinite
That’s weirdly specific.

A witnessed signature has to have a date. The date is probably the date the book was signed and entered on the submission form but lacked to have a witness. Therefore it was submitted for verification as an alternative.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@dielinfinite
That’s weirdly specific.

A witnessed signature has to have a date. The date is probably the date the book was signed and entered on the submission form but lacked to have a witness. Therefore it was submitted for verification as an alternative.

Can’t be. According to the serial number, the book was graded in 2018.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Just because it was submitted in 2018 doesn't mean it wasn't signed in 2015. This is probably one of the reasons the yellow label was noticed as a mistake. The date had to be on the submission form. As you said, I doubt they pulled a random date out of the air.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Just because it was submitted in 2018 doesn't mean it wasn't signed in 2015.This is probably one of the reasons the yellow label was noticed as a mistake. The date had to be on the submission form. As you said, I doubt they pulled a random date out of the air.

Seems plausible.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck @50AE_DE Well, let me know if evidence of systemic impropriety surfaces. Otherwise, I think I’ve contributed all I have to contribute
Post 24 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite

Quote:
@CaptainCanuck @50AE_DE Well, let me know if evidence of systemic impropriety surfaces. Otherwise, I think I’ve contributed all I have to contribute

Didn’t say it was systemic, just not “random”.

@DrWatson ‘s hypothesis appears possible.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
It would be disastrous if COA's are considered "witnessed signatures".

Where did the idea of a COA come from? I didn't see one mentioned in the original post.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@DrWatson

Quote:
@CaptainCanuck - Not necessarily, may have had a COA with it when it was sent in.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Silly Scifinator, COAs are for Dynamic Forces.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson Quote:
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, when you submit for signature verification you enter what you know about the signing. That would include place and date. So that's where the information would have come from on the error label.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600695 49 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?