Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeComics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

Ink on my comic boards16628

Collector FrankE224 private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone else noticed ink on their comic boards? I recently started re-bagging my books in mylars and noticed on old boards an outlining of ink. Does anyone know if this is normal or not? I keep my books in my living room and before that, in my room. I’ve never kept them in a basement or attic
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
That's happened with me as well.

I'm not sure if its ink transfer or rub marks from the book sliding in the bag. Backing boards are easily marked.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@FrankE224 Welcome to the forum!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Yep - fairly normal - was it called Marvel Rubbing??
Think is was mostly Marvel - your books likely have some rubbing on them as well - those don't look too bad though

Post 4 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
People will kill for those bags and boards, with the supply chain problems.

I think your boards are 6.0, Off White / White.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, pretty common.

I've pulled out quite a few old comics and seen the entire back cover imprinted on the board.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@FrankE224 Use the Mylites2/Fullbacks and you shouldn't have any problems.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
As mentioned the ink rub and transfer is common. Those cheapy backing have an acid free coating that is rubbing the inks. The EGerber halfbacks and fullbacks are buffered throughout instead having one side coated. and have yet to the rub/transfer.

My $0.02
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder @HulkSmash I concure. It will also happen if the book is in too large of a bag and board and it slips around.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@FrankE224 Welcome to the forum!
thank you! And yeah those bags are current size so I don’t think there would be too much movement so like you said these boards probably just get easily marked up
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Think is was mostly Marvel - your books likely have some rubbing on them as well - those don't look too bad though

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

Wow yeah I had a few boards that looked exactly like that thankfully not too many. I was reading something about marvel rubbing. Guess I don’t feel too bad as it’s something common I’m seeing
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
@FrankE224 Use the Mylites2/Fullbacks and you shouldn't have any problems.

I actually started to re bag all my variants and anything that’s not a reading copy to mylars for this reason exactly. But then I noticed a lot of my regular boards had that rub and I started to freak out wondering what I was doing wrong lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
As mentioned the ink rub and transfer is common. Those cheapy backing have an acid free coating that is rubbing the inks. The EGerber halfbacks and fullbacks are buffered throughout instead having one side coated. and have yet to the rub/transfer.

My $0.02

I agree with you. I’ve been wanting to re bag all my variants abs nice covers to mylars and finally got around to buying them last week and transferred my books over. I just thought I was doing something wrong. I get ocd when it comes to stuff like that, I really try to take care of my books
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@Pre_Coder @HulkSmash I concure. It will also happen if the book is in too large of a bag and board and it slips around.

Thanks for that info. Now I know the probable causes for this. My bags and boards are current size so I don’t think they will be moving too much so it has to be the ink and the boards like everyone has been saying
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
People will kill for those bags and boards, with the supply chain problems.

I think your boards are 6.0, Off White / White.

Hahahahaha yeah they are not too bad.
I heard about that shortage, went to a comic shop probably a few months ago and he said all the supplies bags and boards were all still stuck on ships and it was going to be a few weeks before everything would get off those ships
Post 16 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankE224
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

Thanks for that info. Now I know the probable causes for this. My bags and boards are current size so I don’t think they will be moving too much so it has to be the ink and the boards like everyone has been saying

On the OCD factor. Mylars hold comics fairly securely since they do not stretch like ploy. I use the “standard” size to give moderns an 1/8-1/4 buffer along all edges and corners and they are a good all around from bronze to current including thicker books like annuals and “giant size”.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
Wasn't "Ink On My Comic Boards" a song by fictional rap group CB4?
Post 18 IP   flag post
601333 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?