Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestionsSignatures

Legit McFarlane signature?16610

Collector OrionPax private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone

I want to buy this ASM #300 but I'm not sure about the authenticity of the autograph because it was allegedly signed back in 1993, accordingly to the COA. The owner of the company that certificated it told me he does not remember the name of the person who signed, but he does recognize the handwriting, so the COA is legit. I've seen recent McFarlane's signatures and they look slightly different. What do you guys think?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks good to me- looks like he may have been trying to stay inside the circle? But still has the characteristics of his signature I’d say.

you could also try Beckett Signature Review ($10) just to have a little extra reassurance.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@OrionPax

https://www.beckett-authentication.com/services/signature-review

You need to make an account first- then either link to the pictures of the book (like eBay link) or just upload the images you posted on here-

They respond in 24-48 hours to your email after submitting.

If it’s inconclusive you get a refund- so it’s likely pass or likely fail you get charged. This is more of a soft verification.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely get the review. To me looks like autopen.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
With the current FMV of this book I doubt someone would think of forging the signature but back in 1993 someone might have forged it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
looks a lot like this one
ebay
Post 6 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve seen early sigs that look like the “T. M’frlinE” you have there.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash happy birthday 🥳
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd76
@OrionPax

You need to make an account first- then either link to the pictures of the book (like eBay link) or just upload the images you posted on here-

If it’s inconclusive you get a refund- so it’s likely pass or likely fail you get charged. This is more of a soft verification.

Thanks for the advise. I Quote:
Looks good to me- looks like he may have been trying to stay inside the circle? But still has the characteristics of his signature I’d say.

you could also try Beckett Signature Review ($10) just to have a little extra reassurance.
Quote:
@OrionPax

Thank you. I did it already and they said it is unlikely to pass full authentication. Does that mean it is fake? I sent the same pictures I posted here
Post 9 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
It means it couldn't be verified. Which means that it "may" decrease the grade of book. If you don't own it, I'd pass on it.

I had a book that didn't pass but didn't fail so I took a gamble and won. I don't think this is worth the gamble though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@OrionPax doesn’t necessarily mean it’s fake- just means they are unsure of it so they wouldn’t pass it-

But if you send it in for VSP it will cost $25 pass or fail for that service-

If you got it I’d keep it raw unslabbed or try PGX-
Post 11 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
By the way COA don't mean squat in tbe real world. Apparently they are super easy to forge. When submitting to CGC OR CBCS, they tell you to leave the COA st home because that doesn't influence their decision.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@radd76 Thanks! I don't want to slabbed it, I just wanna be sure it was signed by Todd before buying it, but it looks like I will never have that certainty.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Bronte yeah I was thinking the same. Anyone can forge a signature and buy the COA after all.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Hey guys

Do you think it looks like this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sorprendente-Hombre-Arana-300-CBCS-9-6-Todd-Mcfarlane-firma-ss-1st-Venom-no-CGC-/403233762304?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=706-127636-26712-0
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
As someone who has met Todd a number of times and has signatures on comics from his early days to current, that signature looks legit to me. His signature has changed from time to time, for example when he was offering Spider-Man #1 signed copies through his comic shop he used to own here locally, his signature was very rushed and hard to read and doesn't look nearly as clean as this one you show on your book, but they were legit because it is how he signed them back then. As others have pointed out, if you send the book in to be graded (and I'd recommend a pressing first) to pay the $25 for the signature verification.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@OrionPax yeah I think the signature is legit-

I would just keep it raw and feel confident it’s the real thing- or if you just wanted to protect it (slab) then try CBCS or PGX-

I picked up a raw Spawn #1 signed by Todd McFarlane a couple months ago - I’ll prolly take the shot at VSP (but choose don’t encapsulate if fails)-

Also you can have them verify the signature without a grade (label says Beckett not CBCS)- if you don’t want the grade on the label so it’s just the book protected / displayed nice in a case.

Post 17 IP   flag post
@Kinsella5 thank you. I found this verified signature on eBay, and I think it's very similar to the one I posted, but smaller. What do you think?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@OrionPax The only way you are going to get the assurances you want is through the Beckett online preliminary screen. Looks like you used it earlier, keep using it until you find one that is likely to Verify. Because the reality is, it doesn't matter what we think or even if the signature is authentic...it only matters if it can pass authorization. Legitimate signature fail authorization all the time, and then they become a negative hit to the grade of the book.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionPax
Hello everyone

I want to buy this ASM #300 but I'm not sure about the authenticity of the autograph because it was allegedly signed back in 1993, accordingly to the COA. The owner of the company that certificated it told me he does not remember the name of the person who signed, but he does recognize the handwriting, so the COA is legit. I've seen recent McFarlane's signatures and they look slightly different. What do you guys think?

Here you go, it looks legit.

Check out the first few search hits on google using this search.

northeast comic exchange mcfarlane signed
Post 20 IP   flag post
@ComicHoarder you're right. There's a Spawn #1 with a very similar signature to this one, also from 1993 and certified by the same company.
Post 21 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@OrionPax solely from the examples I have seen over the years, it does not look real. This is mainly with how the lines start and end, more than the shape of the letters.

However, I would wager it is real because of what others have pointed out already.

So, it doesn’t look real (to me) but my guess is an expert analysis will reveal that it is indeed some variant of what he has done in the past and the stroke differences are inconsequential (or more to do with marker used/era of sig etc).
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
@OrionPax Quote:
@Kinsella5 thank you. I found this verified signature on eBay, and I think it's very similar to the one I posted, but smaller. What do you think?

I think it matches his signature of the early 90's but more so when he was rushed or signing a number of books. The signature on those Spider-Man #1 copies I mentioned is actually worse that the signature on that ASM #300 you have. He signed them all on the far left under the price box. When I had him sign his entire run of ASM from #298-328 it was at his shop, nobody but he and I there for hours so he took the time to sign every issue nice and boldly, so I think it really depends on how many books and if he would be signing at a convention, etc. I still think the best route, at least in my opinion, is send it in for signature verification and have it pressed and then graded with CBCS. It's a key issue and that way you will know for sure, I just would be surprised if it failed verification. COA's nowadays don't mean much to some collectors but back in the 80's and 90's they were quite common when it came to offering autographed books.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Kinsella5 I think you're right, I also believe it is authentic. The problem is I'm from Mexico and so is the seller. He told me he bought it about 8 years ago, and being honest, I don't think that he's 100% sure about its authenticity either, since he didn't met the original owner. I just would hate spending more than a thousand dollars on it and send it in for verification to find out it is fake or something. That's the whole point of this post haha.
Post 24 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Kinsella5 I think you're right, I also believe it is authentic. The problem is I'm from Mexico and so is the seller. He told me he bought it about 8 years ago, and being honest, I don't think that he's 100% sure about its authenticity either, since he didn't met the original owner. I just would hate spending more than a thousand dollars on it and send it in for verification to find out it is fake or something. That's the whole point of this post haha.

Yeah, given it is probably the most common slabbed book in existence and one of the most common sigs too… you should be selective.
Post 25 IP   flag post
601452 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?