Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

USPS Changing 1095 Boxes16546

Collector BronzeAgeNerd private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for sharing this, good to know because I use "Slab Shippers' and those will no longer fit inside these it looks like.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
The USPS shouldn’t be providing boxes or anything else for free. They should be charging for supplies.

It is (in theory) a way to retain or increase business. Fedex and UPS provide free boxes too.

At the end of the day it is all part of marketing expense.

All we are saying is that in many countries boxes provided by postal services are not for free. Eg I have to pay for boxes and then get a partial discount when using a new box. While UPS/FEDEX provides free boxes - they have fewer choices and for them it is included in the shipping cost - which in many cases are more expensive than USPS

The free boxes are no more “included” in Fedex and UPS’s shipping costs than they are for USPS. In all three instances they are part of the cost of retaining or capturing business.

Comparing across countries isn’t too helpful as it depends on specific competitive forces within those countries.

Indeed it is very useful to comparing across countries as it shows the future of the postal services where USA unfortunately is a bit behind. furthermore, you will have the same couriers competing against the postal services in most developed countries.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
The free boxes are no more “included” in Fedex and UPS’s shipping costs than they are for USPS.

I imagine USPS has factored the free box into the price of the shipping. But did they factor in 2 or more boxes for each shipment...i.e. the topic of this thread? The issue I have with the free boxes is that I've seen transit stations where they put multiple pallets of free boxes outside. Customers and non-customers alike are free to take as many as they can fit in their vehicle. I doubt UPS and Fed-Ex do it this way. I imagine the waste/abuse is a tiny percentage of total expenses, but symbolically it's a bad look for a government subsidized entity. It makes one wonder how many silly inefficiencies we are not seeing...is this just the tip of the iceberg?

Yes - we remember the pic from last time this topic was discussed 10 months ago

Post 28 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@BronzeAgeNerd

The slab shippers sales guy said it will work kinda. It will just stick out. I imagine it will be kinda like his magazine slab in the 1095 where a part of the box is exerted past the pre-folds.

On the bright side more slab shippers can fit inside the mailing box that used to do the 25 count. "I think" 33 is the new number.

Edit

Here is copy paste of email

The new kits are ready and working great.

We were able to fit 33 of the new kits into the same boxes that we are using to ship. This will actually be a good thing as the shipping cost per kit will come down.

33 x 1.50 =$49.50 plus shipping.

Let me know how many boxes you want and I’ll get the PayPal invoice sent out to you. I can send them out tomorrow.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I was searching for that picture but I must have deleted it. Glad you found it. I think it's smarter to make people have some skin in the game. Even if it was just a 50 cent box charge that is credited towards the purchase of the shipping when they get used. As they say, things that a free may encounter unlimited demand. It would be interesting to see how many pre-printed free USPS boxes go through the postal system each year vs. how many they produce and give out. It could be a significant difference, or it could be that concerns of abuse are over-blown.
Post 30 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The USPS shouldn’t be providing boxes or anything else for free. They should be charging for supplies.

It is (in theory) a way to retain or increase business. Fedex and UPS provide free boxes too.

All we are saying is that in many countries boxes provided by postal services are not for free. Eg I have to pay for boxes and then get a partial discount when using a new box. While UPS/FEDEX provides free boxes - they have fewer choices and for them it is included in the shipping cost - which in many cases are more expensive than USPS

The free boxes are no more “included” in Fedex and UPS’s shipping costs than they are for USPS. In all three instances they are part of the cost of retaining or capturing business.

Comparing across countries isn’t too helpful as it depends on specific competitive forces within those countries.

Indeed it is very useful to comparing across countries as it shows the future of the postal services where USA unfortunately is a bit behind. furthermore, you will have the same couriers competing against the postal services in most developed countries.

Not useful when different mandates and subsidization levels are considered, nevermind vastly different geographical considerations. The US is a very large landmass with relatively low population density and concentration.

It has a mandated service level that requires delivery to all residents. The USPS has that mandate and all at a set cost.

In combination with the above, the US has a highly developed e-commerce capability and high levels of non-state competition. Overall, shipping costs are low… just compare with Canada (a better comparison than most Euro or Asian countries).

So, no, cross country comparison is not useful without understanding all the details.
Post 31 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
The free boxes are no more “included” in Fedex and UPS’s shipping costs than they are for USPS.

I imagine USPS has factored the free box into the price of the shipping. But did they factor in 2 or more boxes for each shipment...i.e. the topic of this thread? The issue I have with the free boxes is that I've seen transit stations where they put multiple pallets of free boxes outside. Customers and non-customers alike are free to take as many as they can fit in their vehicle. I doubt UPS and Fed-Ex do it this way. I imagine the waste/abuse is a tiny percentage of total expenses, but symbolically it's a bad look for a government subsidized entity. It makes one wonder how many silly inefficiencies we are not seeing...is this just the tip of the iceberg?

When you look at adjusted profit levels between the USPS and private carriers and then consider the substantial profit-eating mandate the USPS has, I suspect there is no massive iceberg.

As for waste - I would love to know how much is ultimately wasted. I suspect a tiny, insignificant fraction - immaterial - since most people are not double boxing rare comics or other products.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The boxes are misused by people. This thread is a prime example of people being mad because the USPS suddenly moved their cheese and they aren’t getting stuff for free any longer. It is the same thing as the next new “tax thread” and people providing a glimpses on how they plan to get around the system.

As far as your marketing point, I’d say the USPS doesn’t need to do that. People use their services due to the lower costs and the convenience. Like many things with the USPS, it is a poor managerial decision to provide the plethora of boxes for free and it just costs them money.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the info, that is how I ship graded books too, which I learned on here. I, I will try Chester15’s workaround, or cut and tape to make a double box.
Ordered some of the new ones today, if I am lucky, I will get the old size.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not useful when different mandates and subsidization levels are considered, nevermind vastly different geographical considerations. The US is a very large landmass with relatively low population density and concentration.

It has a mandated service level that requires delivery to all residents. The USPS has that mandate and all at a set cost.

In combination with the above, the US has a highly developed e-commerce capability and high levels of non-state competition. Overall, shipping costs are low… just compare with Canada (a better comparison than most Euro or Asian countries).

So, no, cross country comparison is not useful without understanding all the details.

Oh extremely useful. USPS pricing is "low" (actually not that low - only when compared to Canada) is because USPS is heavely subsiadized - and still runs at a deficit (partial due to high pension costs) All I am saying is that just wait and see what happens in a few years - when USPS will be at the same place as the postal services in many other developed countries. Letters will continue to decline - also as government will stop using letters in favour of electronic means. It will be a postal services - which mainly will focus on packages. Letters will be delivered 2 times a week. You will no longer have independent post offices. Post offices will be integrated part of other shops (eg supermarkets) etc. you have not even seen the start in the US
Post 35 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Senders wouldn't need two boxes if USPS wouldn't mangle them so much.

Funny how you have to buy insurance against the carrier failing to deliver packages without damage.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The boxes are misused by people. This thread is a prime example of people being mad because the USPS suddenly moved their cheese and they aren’t getting stuff for free any longer. It is the same thing as the next new “tax thread” and people providing a glimpses on how they plan to get around the system.

As far as your marketing point, I’d say the USPS doesn’t need to do that. People use their services due to the lower costs and the convenience. Like many things with the USPS, it is a poor managerial decision to provide the plethora of boxes for free and it just costs them money.

If you think the cheese is free you should see how much I pay USPS for shipping every year.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Critics of the USPS often overlook that they are not allowed to cut the heart out of the watermelon. They are not allowed to serve only the efficient routes and they are not allowed to charge true cost for the inefficient routes. Other carriers have that ability to make Hawaii, Alaska, rural, etc. so expensive that shippers choose to do only the efficient routes with them. Cutting the heart out of the watermelon and leaving the rinds for USPS to service. Having said that, it's still hard to imagine the USPS is the one neo-government agency that is run super efficiently. As a guy with some retail expertise, just the little bit that I see when I go to the Post Office tells me otherwise. On the other hand, common sense would assume that they have had an army of efficiency consultants look at their systems time and time again over the years.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia same story in other countries - what will happen eventually is what i described. use of letters will continue to decline, incl from the government, post offices will be closed and integrated with shops, delivery services for letters will be reduced to 1 or 2 times a week. focus will shift to packages, stamps will no longer be issued etc - long list - other countries have been through the same.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:

If you think the cheese is free you should see how much I pay USPS for shipping every year.

It might surprise you but before I sold the business I had a company that shipped over 20,000 packages a year with just the USPS. We averaged 80 packages a day with them. I’m well aware of what shipping costs can be.

I love how you don’t address the misuse of USPS boxes. For example, all the USPS boxes that comic book sellers cut up to strengthen packages and then either ship with USPS or with another company. How about using their priority mailing envelope supplies to wrap books inside packages that they send first class mail? It is obvious that people wouldn’t pack things the way they do it the USPS didn’t offer the items for free.

So, people are mad because their free cheese got moved. I’m sure they will figure out another way to work the system and misuse it in the future.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I grabbed a large priority box to send my next submission to CFP in. Apparently I have the Lexington Steele of large priority boxes. Is this a new size? I don't believe it is flat rate because it doesn't say so. I've never seen this size box before 12.25x12.25x8.5
Post 41 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Apparently I have the Lexington Steele of large priority boxes

Post 42 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
That is a USPS Box 7, not flat rate, goes by weight.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-box-7-P_O_BOX7
Post 43 IP   flag post
So the 1095 boxes I tried to scrounge up recently turned out to be the new smaller ones.

I still have about 40 of the old boxes left but will have to change my shipping methods when those run out.

Does anyone have any tips to share for the world in which the 1092 box no longer fits in the 1095 box?

Any help would be appreciated.
Post 44 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I know spending money is frowned upon, but I bought slab shippers foam inserts for the 1095. I haven't had a single damaged book since. Granted I still double box the 1095 in another bigger box just in case.

Economics in comics did a video on you tube on it. These slab shippers are great. I think its like 3 bux a set after shipping.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I know spending money is frowned upon, but I bought slab shippers foam inserts for the 1095. I haven't had a single damaged book since. Granted I still double box the 1095 in another bigger box just in case.

Economics in comics did a video on you tube on it. These slab shippers are great. I think its like 3 bux a set after shipping.

I've shipped out around 200 slabs (most were single slab shipments) and have had a grand total of 1 slab arrive to a buyer with damage.

I even remember the slab; a Supergirl Adv 19 CGC 9.6.

It wasn't FUBAR, buyer sent me pics, told me he'd file a claim for $50.

It was actually my fault more than USPS's, I was outta my usual usps priority shipping boxesand used a smaller usps priority shipping box whic hmade the top and bottom of the slab virtually touch the top and bottom of the interior of the box. Rolled the dice to avoid a late shipping DSR ding from ebay.

The buyer wasnt pissed, told me he'd just have it reholdered with his next sub to CGC and the $50 priority insurance more than coverd that.

At $3/slab, it is cheaper to just buy cardboard boxes from U-line, bubblewrap and heavy duty Scotch shipping tape.

And box strength is really the key factor in damage, USPS priority boxes are very thin cardboard; I reinforce them heavily with shipping tape.
Post 46 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Does anyone have any tips to share for the world in which the 1092 box no longer fits in the 1095 box?

The 1097 holds a slab, and fits inside the 1095. You can pad between boxes with paper or bubble wrap.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I just bumped my sales post. I am doing what @chester15 mentioned.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So the 1095 boxes I tried to scrounge up recently turned out to be the new smaller ones.

I still have about 40 of the old boxes left but will have to change my shipping methods when those run out.

Other than getting out a ruler, is there a way to tell the old from the new?
Post 49 IP   flag post
Dimensions are posted on box

Edit

Here are current dimensions

Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:

Other than getting out a ruler, is there a way to tell the old from the new?

If you have a 1092 box just try to put it inside the 1095.

If fists easily into the old ones.

The new ones are too narrow for the 1092 to get close to fitting.
Post 51 IP   flag post
601310 51 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?