Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleQuestionsRaw Comics For Sale

How would you price a newly trending book, like Sleepwalker #1?16540

Collector Collectionary_FTW private msg quote post Address this user
Seems most collectors have a few options: Key Collector if they've deemed a book worth of tracking, OR going to GoCollect if your book is slabbed, or simply going to eBay to see what recent sales there have been.

My team has created the free Collectionary 4Comics app, which shows recent sales from eBay and also a Price Chart of historical sales on eBay for the last 2+ years -- For raw and slabbed book. We figure, collectors just want to see the data so they can determine their own sense of price and trends.

But, we're trying to be the easiest and best solution for collectors that you can have with you in your pocket anytime you need it. So, looking to hear if there's a consensus on how the service could be better.... Should we simply pick a grade (say, NM) and average the last X sold prices of a book, and simply do the math, so there's a single price presented, rather than present the data so you can eval it yourself?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Simple answer - no. Downloaded app and going to give it a try. Really miss CLZ's pricing, hopefully there is a way to import collections.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I think whatever method you choose, you just have to test the model. You need to pick 5-10 recent trending books and put them through you model to see if it gives meaningful data. For Raw books I would probably ignore prices and just present quantity sold on a weekly basis. That information will be more tangible than the prices that they sold for. For slabbed moderns I would ignore 9.8 and focus on the average weekly selling price of 9.6 and 9.4 with white pages. Of course 9.8 can be included, but I find that looking at 9.6 and 9.4 prices gives me a more realistic view of the trend and value. If I had those 4 pieces of information...how many raw sold, how many total sold, average 9.4 price and average 9.6 price...I'm in a pretty good position to value a raw "nm" copy of Sleepwalker #1.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Link to app?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker1
Simple answer - no. Downloaded app and going to give it a try. Really miss CLZ's pricing, hopefully there is a way to import collections.

We've discussed adding a CLZ or XLS import feature, but haven't dived into the details yet. Matching their entries to ours is possible, but non-trivial. Would be interested to know what import fields are Critical vs nice-to-have in your opinion!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Link to app?

Not sure whether this forum allows links, but here's my try:
https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1460625279?pt=119663826&ct=cbfrum&mt=8
Post 6 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@Collectionary_FTW, is it only available for Apple? (I found it on my phone) I use a chromebook mostly, is there a google app? I couldn't find it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I think whatever method you choose, you just have to test the model. You need to pick 5-10 recent trending books and put them through you model to see if it gives meaningful data. For Raw books I would probably ignore prices and just present quantity sold on a weekly basis. That information will be more tangible than the prices that they sold for. For slabbed moderns I would ignore 9.8 and focus on the average weekly selling price of 9.6 and 9.4 with white pages. Of course 9.8 can be included, but I find that looking at 9.6 and 9.4 prices gives me a more realistic view of the trend and value. If I had those 4 pieces of information...how many raw sold, how many total sold, average 9.4 price and average 9.6 price...I'm in a pretty good position to value a raw "nm" copy of Sleepwalker #1.

Interesting to hear you say "Give me a COUNT of books sold." I'll discuss it with the team.
Regarding your inclination to ignore 9.8's, I couldn't agree more! 9.8 prices are "not reality", in no small part because getting an excellent book to receive a 9.8 is often not a reality, AND because some rich collectors will pay just about anything for a book!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@Collectionary_FTW, is it only available for Apple? (I found it on my phone) I use a chromebook mostly, is there a google app? I couldn't find it.

Not yet. We want to kick the tires HARD on the iOS version first, and then create an Android version later in 2022. Write back -- we need HONEST feedback here to get it right! Thx.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Collectionary_FTW - I just put your app on my iPad and have started to “kick the tires.” Looked at some ASM issues and noticed some issues even have Pence versions - nice! But when I clicked on the eBay link when I was looking at the Pence version, it took me to a US edition. And not be too critical, as there isn’t much data to support them, the graphs look like they were created on an Etch-a-Sketch.
I am definitely looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
Good luck!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Collectionary_FTW - I just put your app on my iPad and have started to “kick the tires.” Looked at some ASM issues and noticed some issues even have Pence versions - nice! But when I clicked on the eBay link when I was looking at the Pence version, it took me to a US edition. And not be too critical, as there isn’t much data to support them, the graphs look like they were created on an Etch-a-Sketch.
I am definitely looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
Good luck!

Thanks. And, YES, very fair issue you point out. The app is almost entirely US-centric today, and the "Quick Buy" button suggestions do "go rogue" at times. We intend to officially ingest ebay.co.uk and other large collector territories, as well as allow users to set which territory they want to browse books from, in 2022.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Waiting for an android version.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
I'll be honest most use highest price avalible go collect mcs. Me I take last 5 sales on ebay and average them. IMHO best way to get fmv
Post 13 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectionary_FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia

Interesting to hear you say "Give me a COUNT of books sold." I'll discuss it with the team.
Regarding your inclination to ignore 9.8's, I couldn't agree more! 9.8 prices are "not reality", in no small part because getting an excellent book to receive a 9.8 is often not a reality, AND because some rich collectors will pay just about anything for a book!

Yes, volume...and changes in volume from week to week are really important in understanding how much support a FMV has behind it. This is really useful in fast moving FMV's. The percentage change in volume is not all that useful because a book can go from 1 copy sold to 6 copies sold and create a ridiculously high percentage change. It's better to know the actual sales numbers.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Seems most collectors have a few options: Key Collector if they've deemed a book worth of tracking, OR going to GoCollect if your book is slabbed, or simply going to eBay to see what recent sales there have been.

My team has created the free Collectionary 4Comics app, which shows recent sales from eBay and also a Price Chart of historical sales on eBay for the last 2+ years -- For raw and slabbed book. We figure, collectors just want to see the data so they can determine their own sense of price and trends.

But, we're trying to be the easiest and best solution for collectors that you can have with you in your pocket anytime you need it. So, looking to hear if there's a consensus on how the service could be better.... Should we simply pick a grade (say, NM) and average the last X sold prices of a book, and simply do the math, so there's a single price presented, rather than present the data so you can eval it yourself?

I wish you good luck,. but a couple of comments.

1) How are you going to price raw books on ebay - group them all together - or based on grades - and if based on grades - how to determine the grades - not everyone provides a grade and grades for raw books i like the wild west

2. How are you going to outperform existing services for slabs - such as GPA? While GPA only provides prices for CGC (although these days prices for CBCS would be similar), they have more data points than ebay.
Post 15 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
'Cuz the world needs more apps....

Anyway, like Cesidio said, I just look at eBay myself. I haven't found the need to pay an app to do that for me.

Regardless, this is all moot as I'm an Android user.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Waiting for an android version.

I hear ya. We're tracking interest, and it'll move up in priority with sign ups on the Android page:
https://www.collectionary.net/downloads
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
...I wish you good luck,. but a couple of comments.

1) How are you going to price raw books on ebay - group them all together - or based on grades - and if based on grades - how to determine the grades - not everyone provides a grade and grades for raw books i like the wild west

2. How are you going to outperform existing services for slabs - such as GPA? While GPA only provides prices for CGC (although these days prices for CBCS would be similar), they have more data points than ebay.

Currently, the app sorts "Recent Sales" data by grade, and our "Historical Price Charts" do, too. And the data is "variant-specific", so prices for Direct Editions and variant covers are split out, too. We also added labels to Recent Sales so that you can see which sales were for slabbed books -- and which company slabbed it (CBCS/ CGC). That said, we're still working our systems to improve the amount of pricing data we present. And, we're talking with other comics sellers and auctioneers to build more data sources.

Our goal isn't to replace the big boys like Go Collect or GPA (yet ), but rather to be a faster, easier, always-in-your-pocket supplement for collectors. Here's a situation I bet is familiar that we want to solve: "Geez, here I am, looking at some tasty books for sale at the convention / LCS / fair / garage sale. Do I have this one already? Did my fave Creator work on this book? And, is that a fair price for it?" Whip out the app, use the Cover Image Search, read up on the creator credits, and feel comfortable that you're not getting ripped off.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

Anyway, like Cesidio said, I just look at eBay myself. I haven't found the need to pay an app to do that for me.

Free is free, and I do mean free... no in-app purchases. When we release the Android version, I'll try to remember to post it here.

Our hope is to keep it free and support the app through minimal ads, and affiliate sales -- Meaning, browse "For Sale" books from within the app, and if you decide to buy through that link, the vendor pays us.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort

Not yet. We want to kick the tires HARD on the iOS version first, and then create an Android version later in 2022. Write back -- we need HONEST feedback here to get it right! Thx.

Yeah, sorry, not an Apple user, never will be.

I'll have to wait for PC or Android, and I certainly don't want to use a phone over a PC since I'm over 50 and have big fingers and aging eyes. But that's okay, there's other apps out there.
Post 20 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

Free is free, and I do mean free... no in-app purchases. When we release the Android version, I'll try to remember to post it here.

Our hope is to keep it free and support the app through minimal ads, and affiliate sales -- Meaning, browse "For Sale" books from within the app, and if you decide to buy through that link, the vendor pays us.

Good start.
Good luck.
Post 21 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I really miss what GoCollect used to be: intuitive and frequently updated with CGC and CBCS sales and entirely customizable.
They pulled sales from more than ebay, which was very useful. I dropped them a few months back after 3 years because the ebay sales updates were chronically lacking and late.
As far as raw prices, I typically figure raw value based on graded sales, so GoCollect was all I needed.

I don’t use apps to track books owned; I made a spreadsheet for that.
Good Luck!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
...I wish you good luck,. but a couple of comments.

Currently, the app sorts "Recent Sales" data by grade, and our "Historical Price Charts" do, too. And the data is "variant-specific", so prices for Direct Editions and variant covers are split out, too. We also added labels to Recent Sales so that you can see which sales were for slabbed books -- and which company slabbed it (CBCS/ CGC). That said, we're still working our systems to improve the amount of pricing data we present. And, we're talking with other comics sellers and auctioneers to build more data sources.

Our goal isn't to replace the big boys like Go Collect or GPA (yet ), but rather to be a faster, easier, always-in-your-pocket supplement for collectors. Here's a situation I bet is familiar that we want to solve: "Geez, here I am, looking at some tasty books for sale at the convention / LCS / fair / garage sale. Do I have this one already? Did my fave Creator work on this book? And, is that a fair price for it?" Whip out the app, use the Cover Image Search, read up on the creator credits, and feel comfortable that you're not getting ripped off.

i am still not sure from your reply on what basis you aim to provide prices for raws?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Did my fave Creator work on this book?
You can't beat The GCD!
https://www.comics.org/
Post 24 IP   flag post
597970 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?