Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkCBCS Original Art Program OAPQuestions

Question: Can CBCS Original Art Program Verify famous Japanese Artists?16538

Collector DJJK private msg quote post Address this user
I have 2 pieces of original art sketched by Yoshitaka Amano on 2 comic-book backing boards, which I got back in 1998.

Amano is not a Japanese Manga artist, but famous for his artwork and character designs for the Final Fantasy videogames, Vampire Hunter D novels and anime, and Gatchaman Anime (AKA Battle of the Planets).

The 2 pieces are on backing boards so they meet the size requirements, but can CBCS verify art from Japanese artists, or Japanese Manga artists?

I also have other art from other Japanese artists, but the Amano sketches are the ones I'm most interested in submitting for verification/cetification.

Please let me know.

Thank you.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So a couple of this we need to make sure are clear.

The Original Art program does not do any verification. Original Art is a non-graded service tier that can slab non-comic book items.

Signature verification is what verifies the signatures and is a separate add-on. They only verify signatures, not art work. This means the label will say something like “signed by X. Sketch on cover.” So they are attributing the signature to someone but not the art itself.

A good choice for a situation like this when you are not sure is to check Beckett Signature services which handles the verification side of things. You can use their $10 signature review which is a quick and dirty review of the signature that lets you know if it is likely to pass verification. If they do not have enough known authentic examples then they should tell you it will probably fail and you’re only out $10.

That said, even if they say it is likely to pass verification is no guarantee that it will. Any failure to pass verification simply means that it was unable to pass verification. Failure to pass verification DOES NOT mean they are saying the signature is fake.

Definitely be sure to check out the Newbie’s Guide for more information on CBCS submissions and services

They should have at leas one example since I have a witnessed signature myself

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector DJJK private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you!

I see that was a witnessed Amano signing by CBCS, so hopefully they have the ability to verify the signatures on my 2 Amano sketches.
Post 3 IP   flag post
597983 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?