Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Comparative grade16472

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Would appreciate the forum’s input on relative grade between these two books. In my eyes book 1 is definitely higher grade. Book two, however, has better top right and bottom right corners. Of course also assuming no material interior or back cover issues.

Realize photos are not ideal - which is one reason for the relative question.

Book 1:

Book 2:

Post 1 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Book 2 seems to have deeper colors, but that maybe from the camera
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Was about to say the same as @southerncross did. I’d lean towards 2. I guess the question is how do you feel about date stamps?
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
I like date stamps as long as they are not intrusive such as on a character or heavily smudged.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I think the top book will grade higher. It looks like there might be some water staining on the lower left corner of the bottom book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
I think they are similar. I would go with the deeper color one.(2)
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone.

Really appreciate all the feedback!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector madvitale private msg quote post Address this user
Also looks like there is a small tear at the bottom center of book 2. I vote 1 should be higher based on this evidence only.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madvitale
Also looks like there is a small tear at the bottom center of book 2. I vote 1 should be higher based on this evidence only.

Here is a zoom on bottom middle and left.

No tear but it does have damage there. I do think the colors are very deep for this issue. I also agree it is lower grade than Book 1.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Look further to the right. Looks like a tear or perhaps only a color break there as well.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Look further to the right. Looks like a tear or perhaps only a color break there as well.

Yes, that is what I am referring to.

Bottom left corner and the part you mentioned. No tear, but damage.

To clarify, when I said “bottom middle” I was referring to middle of book, not my zoomed-in image.
Post 11 IP   flag post
In any case, just reinforces opinion that book #1 should get a higher grade. Good luck!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
In any case, just reinforces opinion that book #1 should get a higher grade. Good luck!

I agree 100%.

Thank you.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Do you own the books or thinking of buying one?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Own Book 2 - trying to determine whether to grade it and if so at what tier/speed.

I figure lower grade than Book 1 but it seems nice in-hand. Book 1 is for sale on ebay and is graded 8.0 by CGC.

Realistically I won’t be sending it in until TaTs drop. It is a keeper so no major rush but I don’t like not having my books for long…
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:

Own Book 2 - trying to determine whether to grade it and if so at what tier/speed.

I figure lower grade than Book 1 but it seems nice in-hand. Book 1 is for sale on ebay and is graded 8.0 by CGC.

Realistically I won’t be sending it in until TaTs drop. It is a keeper so no major rush but I don’t like not having my books for long…

I bet the graded 80 has off-white pages?

Where the slight browning on the spine may indicate your book has cream/off-white pages at worse case scenario.

I prefer the darker color book without thinking of grade.

There's a lcs near me with the first appearance of power girl but the cover is so faded that I notice and can't pull the trigger on it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector sleeperbat private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
I like date stamps as long as they are not intrusive such as on a character or heavily smudged.

I used to hate date stamps, but after a while they started to grow on me.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperbat
Quote:

Maybe you should see a doctor for that! I would hate things growing on me except my hair! LOL!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Stamp dates rock on covers, they give them character 👍
.lol meant date stamps, a few margaritas does this 🍹🍹🍹
Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Stamp dates rock on covers, they give them character

I like to look the dates up on the Google machine:
https://takemeback.to/28-February-1961

Looks like the most significant event that day was the birth of Rae Dawn Chong, daughter of Tommy Chong, partner of Cheech.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I agree
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I hate Date Stamps and view them no different than "writing on Cover", that fact alone makes me go with Book #1
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
I hate Date Stamps and view them no different than "writing on Cover", that fact alone makes me go with Book #1

That is the beauty of differing opinions and tastes.

#1 currently has a $7,000 ask on ebay. I am okay with my copy though and find it more aesthetically pleasing overall. I like date stamps too so win-win-win? :-)
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
Quote:

I agree

I agree mine is a lower grade (though just barely). I don’t agree that there is a tear - simply because there is no tear.

Pic of that spot. Zero tear. In fact the damage looks the worst in my original photos. Close up zero tear or pulling away at all.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperbat
Quote:

Maybe you should see a doctor for that! I would hate things growing on me except my hair! LOL!

I agree with Steve. It makes it more nostalgic for me since you don't see them anymore.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Hard to seriously collect silver or golden age books without eventually having some date stamps. ...dont mind them myself as long as they are small and non intrusive
Post 26 IP   flag post
600671 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?