Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

How do Double Covers get graded?1647

Collector dmoloth private msg quote post Address this user
I have a double-cover Superman 28 that will probably be making its way to CBCS soon, but I was wondering how this affects grading, and the label, and whatever else.

Does anyone know?
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Both covers are graded. The interior cover and the exterior cover. The book is given the grade of the highest graded cover and the label shows a "Double Cover" notation.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dmoloth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Both covers are graded. The interior cover and the exterior cover. The book is given the grade of the highest graded cover and the label shows a "Double Cover" notation.

Thanks. That was what I was kind of expecting, but I didn't want to throw money at it without knowing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
It's never a bad thing. Always good to have a double cover. Even for grading.

Okay. I take it back, after second thought. Usually the outside cover is of a lesser grade and therefore presentation inside a slab might not be all it can be. But the label will clearly state "double cover". So it's all good.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector SD2416 private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it got the grade of the inside cover
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD2416
I thought it got the grade of the inside cover

If you are referring to my post, you are correct. The label will have the grade of both. But the main label designation will be of the outside cover.

My point was that in a slab, you can not see the inside cover. Hence you will be looking at the lower grade cover "forever".

It is possible to have an outside cover (the one you can actually see in the slab) be a 3.5 While the inside cover could be an 8.0

Something to consider.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
The label will have the grade of both. But the main label designation will be of the outside cover.

The main label designation will be the higher of the two covers whether it's the inner cover or outer cover.
Post 7 IP   flag post
You are correct. But 98 percent of the time, it is the inner cover, IMO.

But you are correct.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
You are correct. But 98 percent of the time, it is the inner cover, IMO.

But you are correct.

I don't know about 98 percent, but I agree with you, from what I have seen it's most generaly the inside cover that gets the higher grade,... which is pretty much expected. The outside covers protect the inside pages to a degree just as the outside covers would protect the inside covers of a double cover to a degree.
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
While a grade is assigned to each cover, the grade on the label isn't necessarily the higher of the two covers. If the interior of the book has a defect that can establish the grade of the book, it will be reflected in the label grade.

Say a book that has a missing page, or water stain.foxing on the interior pages, it could trump the grade of the higher graded cover.

This is just an example. There can be other scenarios.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I am not understanding.

Are not both cover grades listed on the label? Such as "first cover 8.5" "second cover 9.0". But the actual grade in the upper left hand corner could read 8.0?

Double cover and pedigree.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Yes.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I had a double cover book with grades of outer cover 8.5, inner cover 9.0 get a final grade of 8.5. Reason given was rust migration of staples to the center-fold. With that defect, top grade would be a 8.5 regardless of anything else according to the graders, (this was a GCG graded book).
Post 13 IP   flag post
598088 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?