Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestions

CBCS grading damaged books16461

Collector Randomdoge private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure how to start this , so around the end of may i submitted six books for grading i made sure to put them in a gemini mailer with some bubble wrap around it and inside a box and had usps do (if remember correctly) 2 day shipping (paid around 14 I think) didnt get notified until the end of july that they have started the processing phase , only to find out (4 months and two weeks) that 4 out of the 6 books came in with the same damage although2 were hit rhe hardest

i was confused by the grading since i made sure from the best of my abilities to secure the books , i emailed them about the situation only to get a response on how they received the books damaged due to it being done to shipping. Like cmon they should had at least given me a heads up to let me know if i still wamted to go through the process of grading they had 4 months and 2 weekz to let me know of this situation,
here a few pics of the two main books i was disappointed in finding out they got damaged. didnt took too many pictures since at the time i heard CBCS has improved over the 2 years since i last submitted

am i just one of those unlucky suckers or this something that becoming common ?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
It does happen from time to time....what would be nice is if a package is obviously damaged on receipt if they could let the sender know and give the option to add pressing or just return the books with photo's (if possible) of the damaged package so they could start a case against the carrier.

I myself usually send books that need a press (i.e. silver/bronze age) or at least a press screen so worst case scenario my package is damaged but they get pressed anyway.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
It does happen from time to time....what would be nice is if a package is obviously damaged on receipt if they could let the sender know and give the option to add pressing or just return the books with photo's (if possible) of the damaged package so they could start a case against the carrier.

I myself usually send books that need a press (i.e. silver/bronze age) or at least a press screen so worst case scenario my package is damaged but they get pressed anyway.

This ⬆️
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
The only problem is if the package doesn't have obvious damage externally. You figure the guys opening the packages aren't graders, they are prolly just moving the items along. They have no idea if the books are the way they are supposed to be. Pre screening the books for damage prior to entering them into the system would be time consuming and the people opening the boxes would have to be trained to a certain extent to spot damage...

Granted a courtesy call would be nice...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Randomdoge private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
....what would be nice is if a package is obviously damaged on receipt if they could let the sender know and give the option to add pressing or just return the books with photo's (if possible) of the damaged package so they could start a case against the carrier.
this and especially in my case since they had my books in processing for about 4 months and two weeks
Post 5 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
The only problem is if the package doesn't have obvious damage externally. You figure the guys opening the packages aren't graders, they are prolly just moving the items along. They have no idea if the books are the way they are supposed to be. Pre screening the books for damage prior to entering them into the system would be time consuming and the people opening the boxes would have to be trained to a certain extent to spot damage...

Granted a courtesy call would be nice...

I sent in some books long ago and received an email from CGC stating the corner of one of my books looks like it may have been damaged in shipping and they offered pressing for an additional $20, or return it, or grade "as-is". I chose pressing.

I sent the book that way, the corner had a little bend, but this was before I was familiar with pressing and I really just wanted to get the book (TMNT 1) into a case.

Side note:
The corner was fixed but there were pressable defects still on the spine. So I sent it in for the Eastman signing and another press. It still looks to have pressable defects. Will never let CGC/CCS press for me again. 3rd party seems the way to go before sending for grading.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Without damage to the package They have no way of knowing if damages are done enroute to them or were pre existing. People submit books in varying conditions including impact damages.

these posts make it seem like CBCS is at fault when all they did was provide the service that was paid for when proper insurance should’ve been purchased by the sender to hold the carrier accountable for damages. If you have $500 worth of comics you should probably purchase at least $500 worth of shipping insurance. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Post 7 IP   flag post
597867 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?