Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPPop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Signature or higher grade?16449

I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
General question, would you rather have a lower grade of a book that’s signed or a higher grade unsigned? I don’t mean a 2.0 signed vs 9.8 or anything wild like that, but a signed 5 vs unsigned 7 or something similar, what are your thoughts? How much does a signature impact value vs a better grade? Signature in question for arguments sake, Stan Lee.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
For myself, unless it's a rare signature like kirby, I'll take higher grade over signature. I personally don't like signatures but realize that they generally do add value to a book, and money is kind more important than personal concerns to me at this point.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
In general, if the signee has passed away, I would be inclined to consider the lower grade. If they are still alive, I would lean towards the higher grade.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I think each situation is unique.....my best signature came already in a book that might grade a 3.0 or 3.5.
When I went to buy a Stan Lee the last thing I wanted was to mess up an older key silver book....I wound up buying two newer high grade books with his signature . (People always forget , if you are after a signature itself, doesnt really matter if its on a coffee can or a comic book) Since I bought new, I bought 9.8's, and no worries at all.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
As much as I like "Clean" covers I also like autographs. I do have Strange Tales #167 that I asked (back then artists signed for free!) Jim Stranko signed back in 1978 CBCS graded 8.5 and a non-signed cover of the same issue. So I would say, get two copies. One to sign and one not signed but get both graded.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Higher grade unsigned.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
the lower grade depends on how the book is treated while it is being signed. The grading companies don't lower the grade because of the signature but they do if the book suffered damages during the signing. That said I prefer signed books as for me they make a book more unique.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
If the autograph is from a comic legend, then the lower grade
And by comic legend, I don't just mean Stan Lee and Kirby. I mean the multitude of artists and writers that are considered exemplary in their time and even today going all the way back to the golden age and particularly the silver age

And I DEFINITELY do not mean the hot cover digital artists of today. In those cases I'll take the higher grade unsigned
Post 8 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@stanley_1883 - interesting question with some good answers so far. In another thread (White Whale), i recently referenced that while I own a Stan Lee VSP 9.0 Silver Surfer #1 Volume 1. I would sell it in a heartbeat if I had a CBCS 9.8 I would probably still sell it if I had a 9.2-9.6 for that matter.

For me, the same holds true for most comics I own. But if the autograph is on the inside of the cover and/or of a lesser obtained creator, or of particular interest to me, i might be more apt to retain. Case in point is my Marvel Fanfare #1 which was signed by Michael Golden for me back during time of publication on page 1. That is graded 9.6 but as it is the first and one of very few comics that was signed for me, I would still retain even if I had a 10.0 copy.

But, in general, i would take the higher grade.
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Higher grade unsigned book.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I like how a signature can make a book unique, but I wouldn't pass up a higher grade unsigned book for a book signed by Joe Schmoe No-Name. I like signatures from creators whose work I respect.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
From a "hold it's value" standpoint, probably higher grade unsigned.
From a "keep for me" probably the lower grade signed.

there are some collector's that will avoid a book because of the signature so you eliminate potential buyers if resale is the ultimate consideration.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
I would definitely take the higher grade over the signed, as you can always get the unsigned one signed later, but the lower grade one cannot be made a higher grade (unless it has pressable defects). The one exception is if the person who's signature you want is dead, in that case I'd take the signed one.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector jeffreyk1965 private msg quote post Address this user
What about if both books were the same grade?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@jeffreyk1965 Interesting question. For me it would matter whose signature we're talking about, whether the person is alive or not, and whether it looks aesthetically pleasing. A sloppy signature from Joe Schmoe scrawled across artistically critical elements of the cover will be a big NOPE and I'll have the unsigned copy, thanks.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversorrow
I would definitely take the higher grade over the signed, as you can always get the unsigned one signed later…

But what if you can’t? What if the person has passed? You cannot get a higher graded copy signed later. You could potentially buy a higher graded signed copy, but you cannot get it signed later. Lower graded signed now, or higher graded unsigned now. Anything else is money out of your pocket.
Post 16 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversorrow
I would definitely take the higher grade over the signed, as you can always get the unsigned one signed later…

But what if you can’t? What if the person has passed? You cannot get a higher graded copy signed later. You could potentially buy a higher graded signed copy, but you cannot get it signed later. Lower graded signed now, or higher graded unsigned now. Anything else is money out of your pocket.

Getting an X-Men 1 at a higher grade just so Jack Kirby can fold the front cover in half, running his fist down the fold to make a nice nice crease straight down the center, then sure. FYI this is the story from the guy that bought the raw copy of Action Comics 1 (the first copy), same copy that was sold to Nicky Cage. Can't say I didn't cringe when he told me that story.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
FYI this is the story from the guy that bought the raw copy of Action Comics 1 (the first copy), same copy that was sold to Nicky Cage. Can't say I didn't cringe when he told me that story.

Sounds like a guy who prefers his lilies gilded. Can't say that I feel bad for him.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
depends on the signature and/or comic. some comics are so old its hard to find anything great....but if its signed by a holy grail like stan lee or Jack kirby....who cares
Post 19 IP   flag post
597868 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?