Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPComics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

How much would a press really help?1643

Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the whole grading/slabbing side of collecting. In fact I just submitted my first 3 books this summer. Overall I am pretty happy with the grades received but now I am curious if I should cleaned/pressed and resubmit.

The main book I am thinking about is my Spider-man #1 (Platinum Edition) that I had signed by Stan Lee. I knew it wouldn't grade super high(came back 8.5) but after looking at the graders notes I think some of the defects might be able to be pressed out.

Here are the notes:

spine wear & stress, tiny edge & corner wear breaks color
small crease top edge front cover barely breaks color & bends through book, tiny crease bottom left corner back cover breaks color
light scratch along bottom spine back cover breaks color, light surface wear bottom spine back cover
writing indents middle front cover does not break color

Just a note about that last point, I managed to get this book super cheap because it had writing on the cover that was not verified as an authentic signature, I managed to clean off the ink from the writing but the indent remained.

So my three big questions are:

1. Will a press help any of the grader notes, if so what are we talking as far as estimated grade bump (.5? 1.0?)

2. I'm assuming a press will still allow for the book to be resubmitted and retain it's yellow label am I correct?

3. Any recommended companies out there that I should look into for this?

Unfortunately I am work so I don't have any photos handy but any tips/advice you can provide would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
All of the "breaks colors" flaws will not be improved upon much. Pressing will remove some of the creases and might bump you to a 9.0 though.

It would be worth a shot, but probably wait until you have a stack of books to send to the presser before doing it though.

CFP would be the cheapest way to go, and yes it will retain the yellow label.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Darkga Thank you!
Post 3 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
The cover for Spider-Man Platinum is printed on thick cardboard stock and is very hard to upgrade with a press.

That said, reading the notes you supplied, I think you'd be better off investing that money in pressing/grading a different book. This book has things that break color, as well as a writing indent that will not come out with a press (due to the cover stock).
Post 4 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts solid points about the cover stock.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
The cover for Spider-Man Platinum is printed on thick cardboard stock and is very hard to upgrade with a press.

That said, reading the notes you supplied, I think you'd be better off investing that money in pressing/grading a different book. This book has things that break color, as well as a writing indent that will not come out with a press (due to the cover stock).

My thoughts exactly
Post 6 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
How deep are the indents?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
From the people I know who have had lots more books graded that I have, the consensus seems to be that pressing may move the grade up somewhat.
The three books I did submit to CBCS I did not get pressed. One books was signed and that comic was a special case. The other two books were graded NM to NM+ by the dealers I purchased them from (both reputable dealers, and before CGC and CBCS grading). One comic was from the Winnipeg Collection, one from the Bethlehem collection. Those books came back 9.0 and 9.2, respectively.
With CGC, both books were again NM to NM+ from a reputable dealer, pre-grading services. One comic (from the Bethlehem Collection) was NOT pressed and came back 9.4. The other book was from the Mass. collection, pressed, and came back a 9.2.
I currently have one book (again NM/M) from a reputable dealer, pre-grading services and from the Mass. collection, that I have requested to be pressed. It may be back before the end of the year.
So, right now, I would say my personal experience on pressing has been mixed.
Post 8 IP   flag post
596800 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?