Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

Star Wars graded VHS sells for big money!16399

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Wow..need to check the boxes..pretty sure we tossed most/all VHS?

no..wait...we might have donated to the library?? we used have a VHS section at the library - now DVD/Blue Ray
Post 26 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
i use vudu for my movie needs (have about 2600 movies including the classics). its not the same but i consider it like having a blockbuster (but digitally)

but blockbuster was an event growing up. on a weekend parents took us to blockbuster to rent a vhs (it was 90s) and get a pizza. fighting over what movie to rent. when blockbuster started closing...a part of me died.

saw a blockbuster vhs rental tape at a habitat for humanity. shouldve bought it (was in the bulk case). I didnt care what the movie was (It was some kids cartoon that was straight to video) but being able to hold the case.
Post 27 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I get the coolness and even a bit of nostalgia. The price movements and grading - no.

Comics are themselves the art. A VHS tape is not the same thing - certainly not the case and cartridge.

The explosion in price and interest has little to do with real demand but instead trying to get ahead of the game.

Demand for the sake of future value increases is pure speculation and rarely, rarely sustains long-term value.

No, it isn’t the same as other collectible hobbies (I have a long list).

Sorry but this is pets.com
Post 28 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the slipcover art for a VHS tape is unique and is not reproduced in subsequent releases on other media. I suspect that "Super Friends" line of tapes in that photo may fall into that category. Also, there are some things that came out on VHS and were never re-released for whatever reason, and that is not necessarily because no one is interested. Sometimes it has to do with licensing.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd fair points. My point is more the general concept of encapsulating and grading everything. Indicative of more than natura demand
Post 30 IP   flag post

would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of!! Some rich ass-hat with nothing better to do with their money!

It's probably just more collusion between head of the auction house and owner of the item... like we saw with Wata/Heritage/Goldin/GoCollect earlier this year.
Post 31 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I used to have a huge VHS library with all the good stuff but I opened every one of them and watched them. I get the impression there's only money in them if they're sealed/unwateched.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
general concept of encapsulating and grading everything

I definitely see where you're coming from with that. The notion of 'collectability' is being taken too far lately.
Post 33 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Just picked up one of these. Cool cover!

Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I sold a sealed super Star Wars game 4 years ago for $100.

Maybe should have held on to it…

Post 35 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Physical media is the shit. When I was in high school, I bought "40 Too Long" by the Dice Man. Years later, my $8 purchase at Media Play netted me $60 on eBay.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
i prefer the feel of a comic in my hand vs reading it on my phone or tablet. movies. I prefer watching on my roku. less space and easy to switch to another movie

i get some movies might be highly sought after in physical like pre special edition star wars (I really should get a vhs player for my copy of the 95 release of the trilogy) but valuable....no. movies are meant to be watched and you could spend a fortune, try to watch and....vcr eats it
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
i prefer the feel of a comic in my hand vs reading it on my phone or tablet.

Oh, heck, YES. I understand the attraction of having comics that take up next to no space because they're in electrons instead of on paper, but I really prefer the physical medium.
Post 38 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I understand the attraction of having comics that take up next to no space because they're in electrons instead of on paper, but I really prefer the physical medium.

A nice benefit I'm not taking advantage of, lol.
I prefer to read on my tablet but I do buy books. 5, 10, 20 copies of many.
So reading electronically isn't helping me keep a small collection.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
i prefer the feel of a comic in my hand vs reading it on my phone or tablet.

Oh, heck, YES. I understand the attraction of having comics that take up next to no space because they're in electrons instead of on paper, but I really prefer the physical medium.

I enjoy a car with automatic transmission and 10 airbags and a bunch of other niceties for a commute or trip.

My collector cars are loud, impractical and take effort. They have virtually no utility other than bringing me joy.

I can read books on kindle or can read reprints of old issues. Not the same as seeing the originally printed art in your hands… or even through hard plastic ;-)
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
My collector cars are loud, impractical and take effort. They have virtually no utility other than bringing me joy.

But have you slabbed your collector cars!?? Enquiring minds want to know!!
Post 41 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Well obviously you can't slab a car, but classics can most certainly be graded on its condition.... paint quality, interior, rust or no rust on the frame/suspension, mileage,.. etc. You don't get a number grade, you get an asking price on its condition.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Quote:

Well obviously you can't slab a car, but classics can most certainly be graded on its condition.... paint quality, interior, rust or no rust on the frame/suspension, mileage,.. etc. You don't get a number grade, you get an asking price on its condition.

Sounds a bit like classic carriage (something a family member who has a lot more money than I do is into) which grades on authenticity and quality of materials, how much damage/deterioration there is, and what percentage of the carriage is original and how much has been replaced. Can't slab classic carriages, either, by the way.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds a bit like classic carriage (something a family member who has a lot more money than I do is into) which grades on authenticity and quality of materials, how much damage/deterioration there is, and what percentage of the carriage is original and how much has been replaced. Can't slab classic carriages, either, by the way.

Thank you for verifying.
Post 44 IP   flag post
600443 44 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?