Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

Star Wars graded VHS sells for big money!16399

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
https://goldin.co/item/1977-star-wars-sealed-vhs-tape-vhsdna-mint-9-6-a0r4ri

This could be the start of something. Others did well, but nothing like the Star Wars.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Their cases are cool but they seem more for display than for making it easy to store a bunch together
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Mind. Blown.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Stardust_Memories private msg quote post Address this user
Plenty of vintage VHS tapes for saleclickable text
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust_Memories
Plenty of vintage VHS tapes for saleclickable text

Those are very low end vhs. You can find plenty to buy, but like comics, it's going to be:

Supply
Demand
Generational
high grade craziness

Those among other factors.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
i actually bought the vhs tapes of the original trilogy (95 release) so before special edition. Got it for $3 at a Habitat for Humanity. everything was there. Box for each film, box for all three and even those mini catalogs to get you to buy stuff. bought it in case vhs tapes made a comeback like vynls are
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock Good NIGHT!!! That is insane! I can only hope that one day my Star Wars LDs will do something like that.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of!! Some rich ass-hat with nothing better to do with their money! ...and it's not even for the whole trilogy!!???
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
a bit crazy; but nowhere near as crazy as NFTs where you actually physically own.... nothing!
Post 10 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Totally reasonable.

VHS movie plastic (the cassette) and the boxes are what were the representations of the art form. So the encapsulation and grading of that and associated high values makes sense.

Same with video game encapsulation. It makes perfect sense, the big $.

We will look back at this point in time in 10-20 years and ponder “what if?” and “if only!” with respect to these prices.

It is likely they will keep going higher at these growth rates and will be the equivalent of buying an AF15 or Tec27 in the 90s.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
a bit crazy; but nowhere near as crazy as NFTs where you actually physically own.... nothing!

Oh - too short sighted. Not crazy at all. Neither those NFTs. We will wonder (in20 years) “why would anyone prefer a Matisse or Van Gogh when you could have cryptopunk or lazy skrilla for the same price?!”
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Oh - too short sighted. Not crazy at all. Neither those NFTs. We will wonder (in20 years) “why would anyone prefer a Matisse or Van Gogh when you could have cryptopunk or lazy skrilla for the same price?!”

Oh I agree about the masses and the popularity. Cryptopunk will be preferred over Van Gogh based on the lunacy I've been witnessing occurring lately.
The only place I disagree is the "We". I personally, am sticking with Van Gogh and Rembrandt in my collection (I wish!!!!) lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 I prefer the Dutch Masters too…

There may be just a wee hint of sarcasm in my posts above. Or maybe I decided to go from brave to cave. Or capitulate, or whatever term is most appropriate.

Who knows. In the nearer term, following the masses may work best. Or not. Noone warns us in advance when the “long-term” will strike.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't have taken this vhs if given to me for free! A useless, DISPOSABLE media. I was so glad when the digital age approached, I was on top of those LaserDiscs (remember the SW trilogy WS box set?)and then later DVD & Blu-ray.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
I wouldn't have taken this vhs if given to me for free! A useless, DISPOSABLE media. I was so glad when the digital age approached, I was on top of those LaserDiscs (remember the SW trilogy WS box set?)and then later DVD & Blu-ray.

People say very similar stuff to me about comics. Why would anyone pay that much for one?! Then I have to explain blah blah blah.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb

People say very similar stuff to me about comics. Why would anyone pay that much for one?! Then I have to explain blah blah blah.

Yes, every hobby attached to most pop culture is hard to explain to those that don't have "the bug".
Post 17 IP   flag post
Oooops! Posted in the wrong thread! I'm a dummy!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Someone say Van Gogh. The exhibit was amazing. I highly recommend checking it out if it comes to your city.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Tell me these are not cool to some of you. All factory sealed.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Those are cool! You're making me wish I'd kept the few I had, but of course, mine were opened and played many times. Some even reduced to magnetic squeals and white noise. Loved those suckers!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips You, sir, are THE MAN!! As soon as I saw your post, I checked, and the Van Gogh exhibit is coming to my local MOA next year in February! NO WAY am I going to miss that. I'm a huge fan of Van Gogh.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Yes, every hobby attached to most pop culture is hard to explain to those that don't have "the bug".

Ha ha! Story of my life!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Tell me these are not cool to some of you. All factory sealed.

personally the batman are
Post 24 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
There's a lot of nostalgia around the Blockbuster/Video Rental experience. Who didn't want a Blockbuster in their own home. And now that we have that, something is missing...the visual stimuli.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Wow..need to check the boxes..pretty sure we tossed most/all VHS?

no..wait...we might have donated to the library?? we used have a VHS section at the library - now DVD/Blue Ray
Post 26 IP   flag post
i use vudu for my movie needs (have about 2600 movies including the classics). its not the same but i consider it like having a blockbuster (but digitally)

but blockbuster was an event growing up. on a weekend parents took us to blockbuster to rent a vhs (it was 90s) and get a pizza. fighting over what movie to rent. when blockbuster started closing...a part of me died.

saw a blockbuster vhs rental tape at a habitat for humanity. shouldve bought it (was in the bulk case). I didnt care what the movie was (It was some kids cartoon that was straight to video) but being able to hold the case.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I get the coolness and even a bit of nostalgia. The price movements and grading - no.

Comics are themselves the art. A VHS tape is not the same thing - certainly not the case and cartridge.

The explosion in price and interest has little to do with real demand but instead trying to get ahead of the game.

Demand for the sake of future value increases is pure speculation and rarely, rarely sustains long-term value.

No, it isn’t the same as other collectible hobbies (I have a long list).

Sorry but this is pets.com
Post 28 IP   flag post
One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the slipcover art for a VHS tape is unique and is not reproduced in subsequent releases on other media. I suspect that "Super Friends" line of tapes in that photo may fall into that category. Also, there are some things that came out on VHS and were never re-released for whatever reason, and that is not necessarily because no one is interested. Sometimes it has to do with licensing.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd fair points. My point is more the general concept of encapsulating and grading everything. Indicative of more than natura demand
Post 30 IP   flag post
600861 44 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?