Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector jcarterPDX private msg quote post Address this user
After having 16 of my books for more than SEVEN months I still have no answers as to when my books will be graded and sent back to me.

I'm excited that this company has more business than it knows what to do with, but they need to hire more people to process orders. This is getting ridiculous.

I asked for my books to be returned to me back in October and was told I would not get a refund because my books were already being processed. I emailed again this week only to be told the exact same thing!

At this point, I just want my books back. CBCS can charge me for the cost of shipping but process the rest in the form of a refund. Nowhere on their site do they say it takes more than 7 months to get books back to people.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Josh7945 private msg quote post Address this user
This is exactly what I want to do. I know there is no refund for graded books, but if my books aren’t even graded yet then I should be able to get my books back with a refund. I will cover the return shipping. I just want my stuff back at this point.
Post 52 IP   flag post
@Josh7945 I was told by Darryl Hayden (Sr. Sales Exec) that they don't offer refunds. When I did more digging they have an "F" rating from the BBB. Once the dust settles on my orders I'll never send books to this company again.

It's beyond frustrating that they seem to believe treating people this way will help them keep business. Comic book collectors, especially those that want their books graded, clearly have the money to spend to get their books protected. Seems like an opportunity for their competition to step it up and win a lot of business based on the countless complaints I've found on this forum!
Post 53 IP   flag post
Essentially at this point it’s not really a refund though because no services have been provided. It’s been more akin to a no interest loan from me to them. I just want my property and funds back.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Josh7945 @jcarterPDX Can't really say that I blame you guys, your request is not unreasonable. I would consider though, if you actually do want to burn this bridge permanently. Down the road you may have a signature that you want to get verified but ended the relationship with the one company that can provide that service for you. My recommendation would be to finish the submission, and then evaluate and decide at the end of it.
Post 55 IP   flag post

@EbayMafia As a consumer, I'm not terribly concerned with burning a bridge with someone I'm paying a good amount of money to provide a service in a space that provides me with other options.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarterPDX
@EbayMafia As a consumer, I'm not terribly concerned with burning a bridge with someone I'm paying a good amount of money to provide a service in a space that provides me with other options.

@jcarterPDX I get it, and honestly these delays are costing me thousands of dollars. Probably 60-80 slabs that I expected to sell in 2021 and likely won't be able to sell online in 2022. Ultimately we all have to pilot our own ship and we're all navigating similar waters. My son plays several sports and we have a motto for dealing with adversity "finish the current chapter and evaluate after". The idea is don't close off any options. Never quit in the middle of a season, let the process play out and afterwards decide whether to walk away. But keep the option open to return if you want to. Probably not a perfect comparison to this situation, but we've already waited this long, it's seems that letting it play out is probably the best option available...at least for me it is.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Lol. How is giving them a no interest loan burning a bridge? But honestly there are other options out there. I don’t know that I’m that concerned about it any way. At this point I am feeling abused and just want to get out of the relationship, ya know? But I get it. Don’t quit right before the “finish line”, but the whole point is there is no finish line. No communication. I’m past the current TAT which is twice what it was when I submitted. I might be done with the entire getting comics graded experience all together. We will see.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Honestly, they should invest in a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt to come and look at their process. It would probably really help with TAT. All they do is process improvement and all the big companies use them. It might help.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh7945
Honestly, they should invest in a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt to come and look at their process. It would probably really help with TAT. All they do is process improvement and all the big companies use them. It might help.

If the bottleneck is something other than Grading, I would agree that process improvements could increase productivity. But if actual physical grading is the bottleneck...that would be hard to improve without losing quality. Only more qualified bodies could increase the output. Although they may find that Graders are losing time on tasks that someone else could perform. Such as opening bags or transporting books or inputting data.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector Whynotv2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarterPDX
Seems like an opportunity for their competition to step it up and win a lot of business based on the countless complaints I've found on this forum!

I'm new to having books graded and I'm currently going through the process here with CBCS for the first time. I've had a few books done with the competition and have a few more over their currently as well. The statement I quoted above is an interesting thing to me because I've seen many, many people be vocal with how long it takes the other company to grade and return books. I sent my first books in earlier this year and using the "fast" method for a couple of them, it still took 5 month for them to get back to me. My local comic book store sent a bunch of shop exclusive books to be graded in January of which I preordered one from them. As of mid-October, they still hadn't received those books back yet.

I agree with a couple of people who state to let it ride out. You've paid for the service, most likely aren't going to get your money back, and all things considered, what's the loss? Yeah you're frustrated, I get it. I have a couple of empty spots on my walls currently that are waiting for books to come back and I have another small stack to go out once I can see what CBCS's quality looks like (I'm all in on this one...pressed, signature verification, and grading) so I can compare it to the other guy. Both seem to take an extended amount of time due to an overwhelming demand. Currently "the competition" is taking 132 working days from the time they open the package. Not from when they receive it, but from when they open it. So they are currently opening boxes received at the end of November which puts those submissions being done grading (no other services which add time as well) roughly the first week of June. That's a solid 6 and a half months if you add they are 2 weeks behind in opening boxes. Their Fast Track services is currently at 73 days. Additionally they have a note on their grading tiers page: "Turnaround times are estimates only and are NOT guaranteed. Orders cannot be changed or cancelled once they have been delivered to our facility."

Ultimately they're your books and it's your dime. I'd wait and get your graded books back since they're already in the queue and probably close to being done (or not) and probably not as easy to find within the hundreds of submissions also in queue and at various grader's stations. In the mean time, go ahead and send a book or two to the other guy and see what their process is like. One thing I do like about them is that their are rough definitions of what each status means and it changes as the book moves through the system. I currently have 3 that are "Scheduled for Grading" and 1 that has been "Received at CCS". I'm comparing pressing between the two companies. I've not found that information yet for CBCS. For that book, I'm currently in "Processing" and have no idea what that means. Does it mean that it simply arrived and is at the beginning of the process? Has it been pressed yet? Has the signature been verified? You get the idea.

Sorry for being long winded. I hope you get your books back one way or the other and are able to see what the grass looks like on the other side of the fence (so far, my experience is it's the same shade of green, just a different type). From a newbie to all of this, I hope my opinion and experiences are helpful.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
ShiptoCanada!!!!

(Delivered to Dallas mid-April)

Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector Rongro private msg quote post Address this user
@Paulbg2000 did it just switch to ship to Canada?
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector JustinMabooty private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

If the bottleneck is something other than Grading, I would agree that process improvements could increase productivity. But if actual physical grading is the bottleneck...that would be hard to improve without losing quality. Only more qualified bodies could increase the output. Although they may find that Graders are losing time on tasks that someone else could perform. Such as opening bags or transporting books or inputting data.

No one knows what the problem is, which is what a lot of the problem is. Steve Borock comes on the forums and comments that the problem is pressing. But then to those of us not pressing, he says it's grading but then a lot of us have had books in "labels" for a couple months already which is after grading right? Some seem to be waiting for shipping others are complaining about them not being put into the system yet.
It's seems like every step is a problem and again I just think being more forthcoming about the delays so everyone is working with the same information would be helpful and would help ease the guessing and paranoia you see a lot of people here posting. I can understand why they don't want to put a statement on their main page addressing all these issues because it may deter new customers but they're currently just alienating a bunch of current customers and not being transparent to those considering using their service.
How many new customers would CBCS get if everyone of them started reading these forum posts before they submitted books? I think it's better to let people know exactly what they're getting in advance and make that decision rather than find out afterwards which just pisses people off. I'm in the same boat where I've missed a couple movie and show releases I had subbed books to sell because the stated TAT when I sent them in would have had them back to me over 10 weeks ago. Now maybe I'll get them in January which is almost 14 weeks passed the original TAT for just grading without pressing. Who knows at this point?
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongro
@Paulbg2000 did it just switch to ship to Canada?

Yes, yesterday it was still in Labels (for about 8-9 weeks)
Post 65 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@JustinMabooty - Frankly, you are partially quoting Steve Borock out of context and not being factual. Yes, he did comment on a submission that was being Pressed as having additional delay due to the extremely high volume of comics submitted for pressing. It has also been widely acknowledge that there are backlogs of comics that pass through grading being bottlenecked in Labels, Encapsulation, and Shipping. Further, it is has been well documented and discussed that to CBCS has shifted man-hours from the labor and time intensive act of updating the external dashboard, which we see, to focus on production. Finally, it has also been documented that CBCS is/has been actively attempting to hire additional personnel to address the above issues, but, frankly that process has also been difficult as they are not going to just higher warm bodies. (yes I am paraphrasing there).

Most importantly, this is not a systemic problem to CBCS. Why? Well, it has also been reported, that CBCS has been receiving record amount of submissions each month this year. Each month breaking a new record. Not just by slightly new record volume, but substantial and dramatic record amounts of submissions. Queue the stop accepting submissions crowd to which I say…Nuts!

So, with all of the above having been well documented and discussed, one has to wonder. Are you just trolling or just too lazy to read or research?
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@JustinMabooty - Frankly, you are partially quoting Steve Borock out of context and not being factual. Yes, he did comment on a submission that was being Pressed as having additional delay due to the extremely high volume of comics submitted for pressing. It has also been widely acknowledge that there are backlogs of comics that pass through grading being bottlenecked in Labels, Encapsulation, and Shipping. Further, it is has been well documented and discussed that to CBCS has shifted man-hours from the labor and time intensive act of updating the external dashboard which we see to focus on production. Finally, it has also been documented that CBCS is/has been actively attempting to higher additional personnel to address the above issues, but, frankly that process has also been difficult as they are not going to just higher warm bodies. (yes I am paraphrasing there).

Most importantly, this is not a systemic problem to CBCS. Why? Well, it has also been reported, that CBCS has been receiving record amount of submissions each month this year. Each month breaking a new record. Not just by slightly new record volume, but substantial and dramatic record amounts of submissions.

So, with all of the above having been well documented and discussed, one has to wonder. Are you just trolling or just too lazy to read or research?

I'm not "partially quoting Steve Borock" and I'm not taking anything out of context. I've included a screengrab of the three responses he posted in the order they were posted in their entirety from the same thread.
And all this info you're stating is widely known is from forum posts. I'm saying having to go through the forums, where one can't tell what is posted by employees, forum vets, or randoms is not a good place to disseminate pertinent info from a business.
I'm suggesting a legitimate way to reduce customer complaints and concerns and give you less of a reason to respond cynically to questions and concerns raised here. You thinking this is trolling says more about you than it does me.

Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector Rongro private msg quote post Address this user
@Paulbg2000 ah, thats good at least its moving along. FYI it took mine about 2 months to get here after it went shipping to canada. Also they dont send any tracking info on when it actually ships from ontario and dont upload the books in to the system, you will have to call to get them added in after the fact to see the grader notes. Just a heads up on that.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@JustinMabooty - You actually just proved my point.

Posted by JustinMabooty:
"No one knows what the problem is, which is what a lot of the problem is. Steve Borock comes on the forums and comments that the problem is pressing. But then to those of us not pressing, he says it's grading but then a lot of us have had books in "labels" for a couple months already which is after grading right? Some seem to be waiting for shipping others are complaining about them not being put into the system yet."

Your statement above was indeed out of context. He was responding to the particular OP who was inquiring the TAT forum, as to his submission status. The fact was, it as a Press submission. And, as the current TAT on Press submission is estimated to be an additional 32 weeks above that of just grading alone, along with the fact that CBCS was just finishing up press submissions from April.

So, since you took the time to snip some comments from a week or so ago, perhaps you are not too lazy to read or research.

Post 69 IP   flag post
@Scifinator

Correct. He told a person with a pressing sub that pressing was the delay. He also told a person with a labels and then a grading question that those were also experiencing delays.

How that's out of context or why you think snarky comments are helpful is beyond me. I feel like a lot of these threads and some of the hostility in them would end a lot quicker if the forum vets didn't feel the need to add passive aggressive or condescending comments which just encourages an increasingly defensive/negative discourse. Why make this an even less pleasant experience for people when you could say nothing and just let the threads run their course?
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMabooty
I feel like a lot of these threads and some of the hostility in them would end a lot quicker if the forum vets didn't feel the need to add passive aggressive or condescending comments which just encourages an increasingly defensive/negative discourse.

That's an interesting thought. The forum veterans should stand back while the new members cast their stones. That way the stoning will end quicker. That could be. Or the stones could just get larger and larger. I think it might be more useful to discuss why the forum veterans take a different tone and address their issues differently. From what I see, the forum vets only comment when it starts to turn hostile or offensive. If someone just has a question or concern, forum veterans are happy to address it without starting a conflict.
Post 71 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

I said the passive aggressive and condescending comments are not helpful. If you're going to help, then help but adding that someone is overreacting, too lazy to read/research, suggesting someone is a troll, etc. isn't helpful and just prolongs or turns something into an argument or divisive discussion which it doesn't need to be.
I don't think I posted anything above that was hostile or offensive so I'm not sure how being told I'm too lazy to read and research and possibly a troll is helpful.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector JDang private msg quote post Address this user
I handed something in on 10/10 at NYCC and hadn’t heard anything since then. In the last two days I’ve gotten emails saying my book had been received, graded, ready to be shipped, and shipped. But on my dashboard there’s no info about a grade. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
Post 73 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I feel a migraine coming on.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector Ramage23 private msg quote post Address this user
So many answers by simply clicking on the Invoice Button

Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector Petroman private msg quote post Address this user
I think the reality is that if you want to get your books graded in a more timely manner, then you just need to pay more for the higher tiers and/or expedited processing. This applies to both CBCS and CGC. If you decide to jump on the slow boat, then be prepared for a looooooooong ride. Yes, they should probably both be very explicit about this during the submissions process, but the reality is that both of these companies are totally swamped by massive amounts of submissions. Until they can clear their backlogs, if ever, they are going to prioritize the books that they are making more money off. You can't really deny this makes good business sense. If your books aren't worth the extra grading costs, then the reality is that they may not be worth grading -- at least at this time. Or, if you really want them graded as cheaply as possible, then be prepared to wait.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroman
If your books aren't worth the extra grading costs, then the reality is that they may not be worth grading -- at least at this time

This is where I am. And it will be interesting to see what happens when more and more people reach this point. Maybe slabbing will go back to more of what it was originally. Maybe it will be a way of clarifying value rather than creating it.
Post 77 IP   flag post
What’s the TAT to get a signed book slabbed and verified? That appeals to me.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector Happyfacecomics private msg quote post Address this user
123 weeks
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
What’s the TAT to get a signed book slabbed and verified? That appeals to me.

You're joking, correct?
Post 80 IP   flag post
597868 1000 30