Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signing Opportunities

Crack slab for a sig?16341

Collector chirock private msg quote post Address this user
I have a slabbed Sentry #1 at 9.8. Should I crack it to get it signed by Jae Lee at C2E2 this weekend? Risks include damaging during cracking process, damage during transportation. What would you do? Thanks for your input.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If it were me, and I wanted the signature bad enough, I would press screen after signature to offset possible damage between now and grading.
Post 2 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Eh.. I cracked an MS #5 with my bare hands to get it pressed. Damage from cracking is overrated. Granted, that was a CGC case. CBCS case may be different.

If you're having it witnessed, won't the grading co. be there to open it for you?

I don't do live sigs so I don't know how it works.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
If you ever plan on reselling. i wouldnt. would look fake. why would a signed copy not be mentioned...why crack and fixed
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@power_struggle55 Not sure at all what you mean by it looking fake or it not being mentioned or what you mean by crack and fixed. Are you thinking the case is going to be broken to get the book signed and then resealed in the same case? That’s not what’s happening

@chirock Not sure how valuable Sentry 1 is for you or how much you like Jae Lee’s art. If it’s a cool book you like and the signature means a lot to you and you’re confortable knowing the grade may fall (creators can sometimes be a bit rough with comics) then go for it

Post 5 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
scammers will swap out a good grade tab with a bad.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@power_struggle55

The book is regraded with a new slab. It does not recycle the old slab.
Post 7 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
scammers will swap out a good grade tab with a bad.

He's talking about taking it out of it's case to get it signed.
Not putting it back in afterward.
Post 8 IP   flag post
oh...ok then go ahead. personally Id get another copy if possible.

my plan is for certain issues. buy another copy (already slabbed or if slabbed...ungraded) so I have one to get signed if needed
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
My own view is do what makes you smile..if you want that book signed by that artist make it happen. Do not let what others might think or how they feel about it get in your way....never follow the masses, the m is generally silent . You are the manager and curator of your collection, so do that
Post 10 IP   flag post
I know a forum member that gambled on a Mcfarlane book, that was rather expensive and graded I believe 9.4 We cracked that puppy, submitted it , had it signed and pressed and picked up a 9.8 grade in the process.
Post 11 IP   flag post

Post 12 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I know a forum member that gambled on a Mcfarlane book, that was rather expensive and graded I believe 9.4 We cracked that puppy, submitted it , had it signed and pressed and picked up a 9.8 grade in the process.

Yup. I had a slab on a 9.6 Thor #337 cracked open, then signed and pressed, and I got a 9.8 back. No tears over here.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:

If you are referring to me, yes, it was a 9 6 and after signed it was a 9.8 after press.
Thank you very much for taking care of that for me.

Post 14 IP   flag post
cant remember but I thought at the time moving that book up from 9.6 to 9.8 was several hundred dollars in price according to GPA, I know it was an awesome result.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector ERB_in_CLT private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite just FYI... this is awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
New CBCS slab self crack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXOF3z4H-ys

Old slabs, buy one of the gerber shard and check this out. Very easy (tried it once for a Secret Wars 8 to get signed by Beatty and Zeck).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J66Mw_p-kq0
Post 17 IP   flag post
@ERB_in_CLT Thanks!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My own view is do what makes you smile..if you want that book signed by that artist make it happen. Do not let what others might think or how they feel about it get in your way....never follow the masses, the m is generally silent . You are the manager and curator of your collection, so do that

This right here. Ultimately do what makes you happy. I agonized for weeks trying to decide if I should have Bernie Wrightson sign my HOS 92 knowing to would be hard if I wanted to sell it later. This was right before signature verification. Finally said screw it and I was more than happy with my decision. It was for me and I didn't care.
Post 19 IP   flag post
600848 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?