Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CBCS Collections/Pedigrees - "Newsstand Mint"16327

Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
"From the collection of Nicolas Cage"

Post 51 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
"From the collection of Joe and Nadia Mannarino"

Post 52 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
As for the Mile High 2 collection.
At CGC we did not recognize "collections",....

Not Do...did.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Not Do...did.

That's my point. All of the books posted above were slabbed when Steve was president of CGC 2000-2008 👍
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Brash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
What about "from the collection of Dallas Stephens" original label aka "From the Dallas Stevens/MileHighComics.com Collection"?
https://www.metropoliscomics.com/item/241785

I don't know about the Pedigree but I think we can all agree that's one of the best covers of all time.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brash
Quote:
What about "from the collection of Dallas Stephens" original label aka "From the Dallas Stevens/MileHighComics.com Collection"?
https://www.metropoliscomics.com/item/241785

I don't know about the Pedigree but I think we can all agree that's one of the best covers of all time.

Not a pedigree, of course. To make it more confusing some pedigrees have "collection" in their title, like Don Rosa and Don/Maggie Thompson.

Post 56 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Not Do...did.

That's my point. All of the books posted above were slabbed when Steve was president of CGC 2000-2008 👍

hmmmm....ok, weird. Whuddup wit dat @sborock ?
Post 57 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Then we have file copy and copy.

Post 58 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Not Do...did.

What he meant was that they didn't designate collections as a "collection" at the time the Mile High II collection was brought to market. Therefore, it received a pedigree notation as a result.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
To make it more confusing some pedigrees have "collection" in their title, like Don Rosa and Don/Maggie Thompson.

Those aren't pedigrees. Those are books from a specific collection. A pedigree and a collection are two different things. From the collection of books aren't pedigrees. It's a title that denotes a certain book, purchased on the secondary market, once belong to the bearer of said collection.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
To make it more confusing some pedigrees have "collection" in their title, like Don Rosa and Don/Maggie Thompson.

Those aren't pedigrees. Those are books from a specific collection. A pedigree and a collection are two different things. From the collection of books aren't pedigrees. It's a title that denotes a certain book, purchased on the secondary market, once belong to the bearer of said collection.

I thought Don Rosa was considered a Pedigree; no?
Post 61 IP   flag post
@Brash It's my understanding that it's a collection as the entirety of the books were not purchased directly off the newsstand. Don bought a number of books off the secondary market and continues to do so.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Brash It's my understanding that it's a collection as the entirety of the books were not purchased directly off the newsstand. Don bought a number of books off the secondary market and continues to do so.

What's also weird is the criteria on CGC include:
"The collection must be of vintage material. This means that a large collection consisting of comics from the 1970s to present cannot be considered a pedigree."

But then their description says:
"Don Rosa
A writer and illustrator for Disney that carried on the tradition of Carl Barks' famous works on Donald Duck, Rosa also assembled complete runs of every comic book published between 1966 and the late '80s, purchasing his books from local newsstands in Louisville, Kentucky. He decided to part with the 1970-present portion of his collection in 1995, sold through Steve Wyatt at San Diego Comic-Con that year. Rosa's remaining collection also contains a large, high grade accumulation of comics from the '50s, purchased complete by Rosa, which possibly represents a "pedigree within a pedigree." His collection has no identifying markings."

So the available books are all from the 70's and would seem to violate the criteria. I guess since he owns the rest of them it still counts? This is again why I think the one-size-fits all Pedigree label doesn't make any sense.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Not Do...did.

What he meant was that they didn't designate collections as a "collection" at the time the Mile High II collection was brought to market. Therefore, it received a pedigree notation as a result.

I disagree with this. The Dallas book is an original label from circa 2000 when CGC opened and the Joe and Nadia book is from 2005. I think Nic is inbetween those 2 so you can see what I'm saying. The Metropolis Dallas books says graded in 2003 (?)
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

That's why I said it's confusing, since CGC considers them both pedigrees. They are not "from the collection of" but they have "collection" in their name. Does CBCS consider these pedigrees?
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought Don Rosa was considered a Pedigree; no?

It is now, but I think originally it was considered a collection, then CGC changed their mind because of pressure from hobbyists (?)
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

What's also weird is the criteria on CGC include:
"The collection must be of vintage material. This means that a large collection consisting of comics from the 1970s to present cannot be considered a pedigree."

But then their description says:
"Don Rosa
A writer and illustrator for Disney that carried on the tradition of Carl Barks' famous works on Donald Duck, Rosa also assembled complete runs of every comic book published between 1966 and the late '80s, purchasing his books from local newsstands in Louisville, Kentucky. He decided to part with the 1970-present portion of his collection in 1995, sold through Steve Wyatt at San Diego Comic-Con that year. Rosa's remaining collection also contains a large, high grade accumulation of comics from the '50s, purchased complete by Rosa, which possibly represents a "pedigree within a pedigree." His collection has no identifying markings."

So the available books are all from the 70's and would seem to violate the criteria. I guess since he owns the rest of them it still counts? This is again why I think the one-size-fits all Pedigree label doesn't make any sense.

I agree with you here, but your complaints of "one size" are overly pedantic. I will add that the Murphy Anderson books probably shouldn't be a pedigree either.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Not Do...did.

It says this MHII was graded in 2003.

Post 68 IP   flag post
When a given book is graded has no bearing on when a collection of books received any certain status. Many pedigree books were given their status long before the cgc arrived on the scene.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
When a given book is graded has no bearing on when a collection of books received any certain status. Many pedigree books were given their status long before the cgc arrived on the scene.

Sure.
I'm referring to Steve saying CGC didn't do "collections" when the MHII books were slabbed, when it appears to me that they did. The slab dates are just to show this, i.e. Dallas (and Nic?) came before MHII. Are you saying MHII was already a pedigree before CGC even existed? I don't remember that, I didn't think it was a pedigree until CGC slabbed them.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Well, then I don't know and ultimately it isn't worth the argument to me. It was a pedigree, then it was discovered to be a warehouse find. Therefore, it is no longer a recognized pedigree.
Regardless, they are still nice books.
Post 71 IP   flag post
600894 71 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?