Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool: Part 416283

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Another left behind dino.

Another young mind with a false understanding of dinosaur anatomy.

but..but..... dinosaurs aren't/weren't real...the earth is also flat by the way

All the evidence i need to know the earth is round to some degree.

Post 176 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This so much this...Grimlock Heartily approves this message
Post 177 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This so much this...Grimlock Heartily approves this message

Ummmm.....Earth is 70% water...it is not sparkling water.. therefore, the earth is flat
Post 178 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics lol
Post 179 IP   flag post
Got to go to Lake Tahoe again. Winter this time 🥶 a lil panaram for you.

Post 180 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Apologies in advance for the inaccurate modeling. The ground clearance on both the 997.2 911 and GTS-derived Viper is clearly too high.

Post 181 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I got so confused with what you said about the lego “bonsai”. I agreed with you on the plant part though.
Post 182 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't realize the picture was a lego. I do my forum surfing on a smartphone so I can't really see the pictures details unless I zoom in.
Post 183 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:

You guys hanging out at @Darkseid_of_town's house again for a play date?
I will never cease being amazed at modern toy companies that despite a hundred years of fossils, research and learning about dinosaurs still cannot model an accurate up to date replica of the creatures. ( Most if not all the hands pictured on these dinosaurs are posed in the pronated position which would be impossible for dinosaurs to achieve...as their arm bones locked their hands into a forced neutral to semi supinated postion, rather than facing always downward. There are a few exceptions, hadrosaurs being one genera that had arm bones that grew into a forced pronated pose, but most theropods would have had neutral hands

I knew it was only a matter of time before @Darkseid_of_town found these Jurassic posts and jumped in to point out the inaccuracies. He is most certainly our resident Dino-Dude!

btw... the above was a compliment.
Post 184 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Pulled out some portfolio books and found some cool stuff. I won't be Joe Millionaire but they sure hold some sentimental value

#10 of 24 hand colored print from Marie Severin

Post 185 IP   flag post
Doug Funnie with his Sky Davis high-tops.

Post 186 IP   flag post
Black Star character cel

Post 187 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Apologies in advance for the inaccurate modeling. The ground clearance on both the 997.2 911 and GTS-derived Viper is clearly too high.

Not sure what the Butterfly Effect will be of starting our children out with faulty technical information. Maybe they will plan to colonize Mars and accidentally end up on Jupiter? Or maybe they will just grow up to be history's worst architects and engineers?
Post 188 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's a high probability that they will turn out to be smart asses on Internet chat boards.

Post 189 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure what the Butterfly Effect will be of starting our children out with faulty technical information. Maybe they will plan to colonize Mars and accidentally end up on Jupiter? Or maybe they will just grow up to be history's worst architects and engineers?

Valid question!

Questions like this really deserve their own thread but I can’t think of a good title.

@EbayMafia Maybe you have a suggestion?
Post 190 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately, we can't have nice things because some folks like to stir the pot....
Post 191 IP   flag post
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.

Charles Darwin

Scrotum humanum was the first classification of a dinosaur fossil in history. Its first record appears in the book 'Natural History of Oxfordshire' published in 1676 by naturalist Robert Plot, long before the concept of 'dinosaur' and of 'extinction' was known.

"Scrotum" is an unusual name given to a theropod dinosaur fossil originally thought to have been from a giant human. In 1677 Robert Plot of the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford identified the fossil as that of a human giant. In 1772 Brookes noticed the bone's resemblance to male genitalia, and gave it the name Scrotum humanum. The name is no longer considered scientifically valid: it is a nomen oblitum - a forgotten name not used in the scientific community for more than fifty years after its original proposal. It is also considered invalid because the type specimen has been lost, and the material - including only the distal end of a femur - is not fully diagnosable.

The fossil is thought to have belonged to a Megalosaurus.

Who can forget the more recent faux paux by Nasa....the Mars Climate orbiter.One team of the group used metric, the other proper English measures and the multi million dollar craft was piloted right into the hard surface and lost.

https://plus.maths.org/content/os/issue10/news/mars/index#:~:text=Soberingly%2C%20while%20the%20fate%20of%20the%20Mars%20Polar,the%20Climate%20Orbiter%20reached%20Mars%20in%20September%201999.
Along the eastern seabord of the united states are miles of formations with exposed fossil tracks from what most considered giant ancient birds> The bible thumpers and those with a stake in the great flood proposed these were giant birds drown in the flood. Others postulated equally as idiotic ideas for centuries...nowdays we know these tracks as primitive archosaurs or dinosaurs.....eobrontosaurus, and many of its close companions made these tracks .

Our entire history is filled with people who chose to accept a mistake over pursuit of the evidence and facts and how this does not ever turn out so well for those who must follow.

If we can sculpt and create models of extant animals whose remains we have , we can do the same for those which are extinct. Asking for people to use their minds, rather than guess, to do the necessary research rather than be lazy, and to learn what an animal looks like or how it would be shaped is not unreasonable. You would expect it from a giraffe, or an elephant, but not from a Moa?

Post 192 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Valid question!

Questions like this really deserve their own thread but I can’t think of a good title.

The sauropods neck should also be longer, and the body design normally tends to favor either elongated arms or legs, not similar length.On the plus side you chose Gynosperm type trees over angiosperms, which is much more likley!
Post 193 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ha Coder,

You guys hanging out at @Darkseid_of_town's house again for a play date?
I will never cease being amazed at modern toy companies that despite a hundred years of fossils, research and learning about dinosaurs still cannot model an accurate up to date replica of the creatures. ( Most if not all the hands pictured on these dinosaurs are posed in the pronated position which would be impossible for dinosaurs to achieve...as their arm bones locked their hands into a forced neutral to semi supinated postion, rather than facing always downward. There are a few exceptions, hadrosaurs being one genera that had arm bones that grew into a forced pronated pose, but most theropods would have had neutral hands

I knew it was only a matter of time before @Darkseid_of_town found these Jurassic posts and jumped in to point out the inaccuracies. He is most certainly our resident Dino-Dude!
btw... the above was a compliment.
Ha coder, thanks for the positive thoughts! Indeed Jurassic Cretaceous, and even Triassic mixed in . Hope your evening is going well
Post 194 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town I think it's important that every craft or interest has people like you who feel strongly about the authenticity of their subject matter. I suspect most of us have some interest in our lives that we feel similarly strong about. Baking, Bar-B-Q, grading consistency, scratches on cases, mis-wraps on comic covers, baking pizza's...we've had some discussions on a few subjects. There was one fellow briefly came on all fired up because he had verbal confirmation that CGC grades Golden Age comics differently than new comics. He couldn't understand why we agreed but didn't care. Most of the subjects I feel strongly about are too controversial to be appropriate for this forum. If I rib you over being committed to the authenticity of your craft, please don't take at it as intended to offend. Same is true if I rib @DrWatson over knowing the best way to make muffins, or @DavetheBrave over knowing the best way to do most things.
Post 195 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Darkseid_of_town I think it's important that every craft or interest has people like you who feel strongly about the authenticity of their subject matter. I suspect most of us have some interest in our lives that we feel similarly strong about. Baking, Bar-B-Q, grading consistency, scratches on cases, mis-wraps on comic covers, baking pizza's...we've had some discussions on a few subjects. There was one fellow briefly came on all fired up because he had verbal confirmation that CGC grades Golden Age comics differently than new comics. He couldn't understand why we agreed but didn't care. Most of the subjects I feel strongly about are controversial to be appropriate for this forum. If I rib you over being committed to the authenticity of your craft, please don't take at it as intended to offend. Same is true if I rib @DrWatson over knowing the best way to make muffins, or @DavetheBrave over knowing the best way to do most things.

I respect that , great take and well said.

I do take the sciences very seriously , with all that is facing our planet these days. We have a dozen serious issues facing us as a species, and I feel strongly that in order to face them all we must also defeat misinformation, pseudo science, and centuries old mytholodgy that is holding us back as a species. Sorry to be such stick in the pile of sticks. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as well
Post 196 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ummmm.....Earth is 70% water...it is not sparkling water.. therefore, the earth is flat

@KatKomics I know there is something profound in this statement...but it's just not clicking for me.
Post 197 IP   flag post
Flat like flat soda after carbonation has dissipated
Post 198 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

Aha! The Uncarbonated Earth theory. I think I've heard about that. Did not know @KatKomics was one of those lunatics.
Post 199 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Valid question!

The sauropods neck should also be longer, and the body design normally tends to favor either elongated arms or legs, not similar length.On the plus side you chose Gynosperm type trees over angiosperms, which is much more likley!

TL;DR stubby neck, tail Apatosaurus cuz plasticine and for 3yo’s slot car track. But thanks!

As someone very well versed in sauropod morphology I unfortunately had to balance realism with:
1) materials accessibility and characteristics:

I only had plasticine to work with and plasticine, unlike my preferred medium clay, doesn’t naturally harden. This meant I couldn’t use temporary support structures to make more realistic proportions and allow to harden for final, rigid placement. A thinner neck and tail (the tail is too short proportionately as well) would have posed problems. Other requirements made plasticine a superior choice so I did not attempt to artificially harden it either… (see below).

2) use characteristics and considerations:

As a set-top piece on an already unrealistic layout (1/24 scale slot car track on a plywood board with mostly 2D painted background) I had to balance realism with likely use. The board and its pieces has (had) to withstand transport through standard width residential doors and up/down flights of stairs… including on Christmas Eve and after at least three or four alcoholic beverages. This means adhering to the plywood and surviving rather extreme angles along multiples axes in transit without collapsing or any other major damage. This necessitated rather stubbier proportions than I would have used to achieve greater realism.

The end-use was also a major consideration. I chose primarily to represent (not recreate) one of several sauropod genera - Brachiosaurus, Diplodocus, Apatosaurus - that my just-turned 3 years old son would recognize. I clearly selected Apatosaurus for general representation and so satisfied this goal.

The structural characteristics of representing the others would have posed more significant challenges (which you can certainly understand immediately given the trade-offs you identified). I disagree with your assessment of the legs in relative terms - the rear legs were intentionally made longer… perhaps the angle threw you off a bit there?

Finally, for this group of considerations the likelihood of my son wanting to touch the dinosaurs meant I also needed to lean towards sturdier design than in nature. In combination with some additional constraints, this meant tradeoffs in accuracy.

Consider it a form of evolution or adaptation, accelerated and implemented through my hands for a specific use case(I will avoid religious implications).

The joy of seeing my son’s face light up on Christmas morning and recognizing the few dinos I added was worth the design trade-offs. Similarly, I was pleased with the slot cars themselves despite having some technical details misrepresented for other practical considerations.

But I appreciate and understand the feedback.
Post 200 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That must have happened after the Carboniferous Period, so maybe during the Permian Period. (Geologic humor attempt)

PS - Although it’s called the age of the amphibians, if you like insects, check out the giants from the Carboniferous Period! Dragonflies as long as your arm, and they could (and should) make a sci-fi horror film about Arthropleura (look it up).
Post 201 IP   flag post
I can actually see the extension of the legs better now that you mention it, point well won. The semantics of sauropods of course dictate that the term rear legs is redundant, as the rear limbs would be legs and the front limbs the arms ... I applaud your efforts on the childs behalf! Saurpods are a love of my own as well....and I suggest at some point sharing with him such awesome animals as Amargasaurus Cazaui, Mamenchisaurus, and my personnal favorite mounted in the New york museum of Natural history, Barosaurus! I will share with you a few of the saurpod pieces I keep around the living room .

This first piece pictured is massive Diplodocus Sacral vert, in fact the final vert in the sacral before the tail begins.The size of a small car wheel and weighs in at 26 pounds....a sub adult .

this next piece is a 50 pound ball joint from the end of a sauropod femur joint...I also have a section of the shank from this same limb pictured next

This final shot is a neck or dorsal vert section from an apatosaurus..the disc shape would be from the actual vert, and the wings shaped area with hollows sitting atop it would be the processes as they would sit between the two discs. I have had this one solidified, prepped and the hollows blown empty to demonstrate the enormous amount of air storage in these verts.

Thanks for sharing the story of your own little diorama for your son. No time spent encouraging a child to love dinosaurs is ever wasted!
Post 202 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I think it's important that every craft or interest has people like you who feel strongly about the authenticity of their subject matter. I suspect most of us have some interest in our lives that we feel similarly strong about. Baking, Bar-B-Q, grading consistency, scratches on cases, mis-wraps on comic covers, baking pizza's...we've had some discussions on a few subjects.

I understand the point you are making. Sometimes is it better to not to point out the errors that are made by those that have zero experience in whatever field. For example, watching TV or movies involving law enforcement, clearing rooms/buildings, or tactical situations would be impossible for people in the profession, trained/certified to do it, and have done it. Just so many dumb mistakes that are shown. For that matter, children playing with toy weapons should drive firearms instructors batty. Kids use their booger pickers to cycle their “guns” while pointing them at other kids. That being said ration people see it for what it is…entertainment or play. It isn’t based in the really real world.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:

That must have happened after the Carboniferous Period, so maybe during the Permian Period. (Geologic humor attempt)

PS - Although it’s called the age of the amphibians, if you like insects, check out the giants from the Carboniferous Period! Dragonflies as long as your arm, and they could (and should) make a sci-fi horror film about Arthropleura (look it up).

Very familiar with them and agree they’re petrifying.

Hehe
Post 204 IP   flag post
Quote:
Same is true if I rib @DrWatson over knowing the best way to make muffins, or @DavetheBrave over knowing the best way to do most things.

Truer words never spoken. A gift I got “for” my wife.
Post 205 IP   flag post
601347 999 30