Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool: Part 416283

Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte An animal attack can screw you up for a long, Long time. It is not funny when that kind of thing happens. I was bitten on the hand by a small dog when I worked at a boarding kennel, so it came with the territory and I knew right away that the dog was just scared and didn't know where the pet-parents were. An aggressive attack by a large dog is a completely different situation and deeply traumatic. I'm very sorry that happened to you.
Post 426 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
It happens, I know my limitations and hope that others respect them. Some of my friends are like, it's a chihuahua or its a cat you are 10x larger than them wtf is your problem?

But if you really think about it what are your choices? Let the animal jump on you and trigger your past? Hit the animal and be less than human? You can't reason with a pet or animal.

The only thing I've tried so far to get over my fear is a "cat Cafe". No they don't serve you cats to eat. This is a place where cats go-to learn to socialize with humans. As a human you donate to the charity to help the cats get adopted.

Here is a cat I attempted to pet and he gave me the side eye because he didn't trust me....

Needless to say I didn't get very far that day. But it was weird how all the animals kept their distance from me even though there were like 5 cats in this small room....

Post 427 IP   flag post
@Bronte I've been to a couple of cat cafes in Japan, and while I'm a big cat lover, those kitties weren't my kitties and I had a tough time really interacting with them. They could totally sense that I was a little uncomfortable and kept their distance from me. It was a bit sad, actually. Still. I did like the experience.

I admire that you're trying to deal with the issue. That's great. If you want to try something again, you may want to see about kittens or puppies rather than adult cats or dogs. See if you have anyone in your area who fosters orphans. Seeing tiny babies being bottle-fed is not at all threatening.
Post 428 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I've been to a couple of cat cafes in Japan

lol. That's so Japan.
Post 429 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
I've been to a couple of cat cafes in Japan

lol. That's so Japan.

You should see some of the crazy ones they have. Hedgehog cafe and miniature Shiba Inu cafe in Kyoto, Owl cafes in Tokyo and Nara, Otter cafe in Tokyo. It goes on & on. Goats, rabbits, mini-pigs, penguins, capybara, songbirds... you name it.
Post 430 IP   flag post

Beautiful tortoiseshell in the cat cafe I visited in Fukuoka.
Post 431 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd

Wow. I had no idea.... that's just crazy.

Oh I just did a search for animal rescues and there is a cat cafe that opened up in my city last year. (The cafe I visited prior was over 2 hours each way south of me) I need to call them to see about baby kittens. Hopefully they don't think I'm some kinda kook....
Post 432 IP   flag post
@Bronte I should probably check out some of the crazy ones just to say I did it, but I'm always so busy while I'm there. Need to make sure I get to all my temples & shrines. On my next trip (possibly this year... Oh, please...) my friend and I want to relax more (after we get a 13 Buddha Pilgrimage done first) so maybe we'll finally commune with the hedgehogs.
Post 433 IP   flag post
You definitely need to take photos of the different places. Especially the animal cafes....

Asian culture is somewhat interesting, I have a Croatian friend who is a huge Thai fan and she took me to a Thai monestary in Southern Florida. The thing that kinda sux is that English wasn't spoken really so I didn't really understand what transpired. The place wasn't authentic in the sense of antique artifacts and such, but they tried very hard to honor their ancestors and it showed. It was a far cry from the Christian places of worship that I have been exposed to. Not saying one is better than the other. Just VERY different. The one thing I thought was kind if amusing, though was I brought a bunch of curry beef egg rolls to my buddy the day I met her and she brought quite a few of them to give to her monk friend. Surprisingly he accepted no questions asked. I guess cow's aren't sacred in Thailand as they are in India... =)
Post 434 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
You should see some of the crazy ones they have. Hedgehog cafe and miniature Shiba Inu cafe in Kyoto, Owl cafes in Tokyo and Nara, Otter cafe in Tokyo. It goes on

Pangolin Cafe? Don't let Mickey Mouse take you to a Pangolin Cafe.
Post 435 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
You should see some of the crazy ones they have. Hedgehog cafe and miniature Shiba Inu cafe in Kyoto, Owl cafes in Tokyo and Nara, Otter cafe in Tokyo. It goes on

Pangolin Cafe? Don't let Mickey Mouse take you to a Pangolin Cafe.

Not gonna happen!
Post 436 IP   flag post
Check this out. This is Nyoirin-ji Temple in Fukuoka prefecture. It's a frog temple, and even the icon - in this case the icon is Fudo Myoo - is not safe from the frog invasion. Somewhere I also have photos of Yohashira-jinja Shrine which is a frog shrine in Matsumoto in Nagano prefecture, but they are currently eluding me.

This is one of the only photos of the exterior of the temple itself. I was so stunned by the astounding proliferation of frogs that I forgot to take any!

Post 437 IP   flag post
That's actually very cool. Who would have thought frogs could be such revered animals....
Post 438 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
Another relaxing day in the Okefenokee, dating from the close of WW2.

Post 439 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I have always been spooked by people's pets. It didn't help matters when a German Shepard pounced on me and shredded my shirt and back .

I tend to stay far away from all animals as an adult. Granted the aforementioned cat and I got along but only because it was a traumatic circumstance that brought us together.

My buddy's next door neighbor kicked her cat and it was so bad he had to go to the emergency vet doctor. His insides were no longer in the proper places. He was in a crap load of pain and for some reason I put my hand out and he nuzzled it. Since then we had a mutual understanding for each other.

Any other friend that has animals, sense my fear and they stay away from me. And i stay away from them. For example, a buddy has a cat that supposedly likes everyone. That cat won't come within 5 feet of me. It's like it can sense my fear and stays away.

In theory I'm bigger than most animals so I could prolly kick them, but my instinct is to put my friend or another body between myself and the animal. If I go to a friend's house, the dogs need to be locked in another room or I won't visit.

Don't even get me started on the stupid ladies at work that fed ducks. I had to get HR involved because the ducks chased me.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I own a dog walking & pet sitting service. I have met people who are genuinely afraid of animals. Or more to the point, what they think the animals are going to do to them.

Many of them have indicated childhood trauma involving an animal that causes their fear to be so intense. I have a theory that just as we - as children - are far more able to learn things like playing music or learn another language, emotionally traumatic events can be "imprinted" on us at an early age and never let go.

My youngest son was terrified of animals. As time went by, he embraced it, then got upset about it and learned they weren't going to hurt him. By and large, animals don't hurt us.

I learned years ago the things we fear most are things that have already happened to us.

Have you ever sought counseling about this problem? If not, I encourage it. Nothing says "I Love you" like treating ourselves to dealing with and conquering our dragons. A lifelong friend was terrified of dogs. Didn't matter the breed or size. He and I eventually spoke about it one day many years ago and I point blank told him "Don't you think it's time you dealt with this? Dogs are everywhere. Why walk around in fear you will encounter one? You are a grown man, now."

He didn't like the idea at first but he thought it over and put some time into it. Since then, he has had 2 pugs he adored, the last one - Winston - he had for 16 years and has passed away last week. In his conversation about it, he mentioned there will be another dog for him in the future when the time is right. NEVER thought I would hear those words! LOL! Not from him.

Turns out HIS fear wasn't a fear of animals per se, but a fear of physical pain and a fear of being surprised. They approached it from that POV, I guess. He never elaborated much.

Animals have brought a great deal of happiness into my otherwise unhappy life. We have 4 dogs and 3 cats ourselves plus a gallery of pets we take care of every day. And sure. I have been bitten and scratched. Twice, the incidents put me in the ER getting stitches and the ol' tetanus booster.

Both times it was MY fault. I did something I shouldn't have and wasn't thinking. No sour grapes. I get nipped at and scratched almost on a daily basis through play time.

I CAN say with some authority that "kicking" someones pet whether you are afraid or not is not the best way to go. I would react accordingly if someone did that to one of my pets whether they were afraid or not. Most people I have met have been able to communicate their fear and so I can go around or wait for them to pass.

I was in a bank with my pup Holly and turned to leave. A woman there was petrified of dogs evidently. She got as far as the inside front entrance and froze. And started screaming. I mean SCREAMING. SO, I picked up Holly and while trying to leave the bank told her "It's gonna be fine. We are leaving." But she was frozen to the spot. Screaming. She couldn't hear me. She wasn't even there, realistically. 2 bank employees had to move her like a piece of furniture so we could leave.

I wish you well and all peace of mind. Please get some help wit this. Your life will be a better place to be. Vistas will open p before you.
Post 440 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
the dog was just scared and didn't know where the pet-parents were. An aggressive attack by a large dog is a completely different situation and deeply traumatic.

I have never seen an "aggressive" attack. What you outlined here are both "fear aggression" instances.

As a dog walker, I have never been more amazed than at the times mothers will be walking down the street or sidewalk and actually push their little kids toward us and say "Go meet the nice doggie!". Are you NUTS? So, I end up having to point out the obvious. And speak directly to the kid weebling at me with outstretched hands: "STOP! WAIT!"

Some mother got in my face for speaking to her "child" like that in an "aggressive" manner. Yer kidding, right? Dog I'm walking might respond poorly to this shrieking, giggling thing coming at us and you sue me when something goes south and the pup gets put to sleep because of your ignorance? That's common sense shit right there but it's happened more than once.

Many stories I read of rescue dogs attacking a kid at home I can see right through. Kid is attacked and killed or seriously hurt. And you just KNOW what happened. Ignorant parents adopted a dog they didn't understand, had no clue as to how to handle ANY dog to begin with, left the kid alone with the dog, kid tried to play "horsie" (or worse one of the parents PUT their own kid on top of the dog), pulled its tail, stuck their fingers in its eyes and the dog pushed back. What's it supposed to do? Lay back and enjoy it?

I say that because I have seen parents do some REAL sketchy stuff with their new pets around their kids. To the point I give stern, uninvited advice. None - NONE of the stories ever implicate the parents or their actions. We see it all the time on social media. People posting their videos highlighting their utter stupidity. Little 1 year old hugging the kitty. Body slamming the dog. Parents all aglow with pride and cutsieness.

Read the comment sections. "Aw" "Cute!" "Precious" and the one rogue comment: "Are you SERIOUS? Good way for your kid to be seriously hurt!" That person will be me and THAT person will get attacked for pointing out the obvious.

There are some terribly DUMB people in the world these days and we are asked on a daily basis to tolerate them.
Post 441 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd Agree with all your posts. Completely.
Post 442 IP   flag post
Quote:
That's actually very cool. Who would have thought frogs could be such revered animals....

While I don't know the particular story being this temple, I suspect it went something like this. The word for 'frog' in Japanese is 'kaeru.' A homonym for that is the verb 'kaeru' which means to 'to return (home).' Because of this, frogs are associated with a safe return from travel, so it's not unusual for things like travel charms and such to incorporate frogs. If, in the past, someone went to the temple to pray for the safe return of a loved one, and that person did, indeed, return, then the supplicant may have gifted the temple with the offering of a frog. If word then got out that the temple is a good place to go to ask for the safe return of persons at risk, perhaps the frog-gifts continued and now we have a frog temple out in the middle of nowhere in Fukuoka (believe me, that temple is wa-a-a-ay out there).

Japan can be funny that way...
Post 443 IP   flag post
@ticktocktyler It blows my mind when people encourage kids to run up to strange dogs. ALWAYS ask permission first and if the pet owner says 'no' then you have to educate the kid why it's not always okay to pet the doggie. Children need to learn that anyway, and as early as possible. Enthusiastic child + dog that lives in a house with no kids is a risky combination and what happens after they meet is not the fault of the dog.
Post 444 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
Quote:
the dog was just scared and didn't know where the pet-parents were. An aggressive attack by a large dog is a completely different situation and deeply traumatic.

I have never seen an "aggressive" attack. What you outlined here are both "fear aggression" instances.

I have seen an attack that defied logic. My sister was riding her bike down a neighbourhood street just like kids do all the time. She was in the street like she was supposed to be - not on the sidewalk passing close to people's properties - and there were no cars on the road at the time. She passed a property a few doors down from us and the dog there - big mixed breed - ran out and grabbed her by the leg, pulled her off her bike, gave her one shake and then left her on the street after the owner called him back. She hadn't been doing anything at all that kids didn't do everyday in a neighbourhood that was near a school. Why the dog decided she was a target when she wasn't being loud or trespassing on the dog's property is unknown. The dog was kept in the fenced yard after that and only taken out on a leash. My sister had some road rash and a few puncture wounds to her leg, but was otherwise all right. She didn't develop a fear of dogs, but I did notice that she never rode her bike again after that.

I don't blame the dog for what happened. There are some dogs that require more training and supervision than others and a lot of knuckleheaded dog owners who are in denial of that. At least in this instance, the dog owner saw the light. No more free-roaming for that dog.
Post 445 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Ant face seen with electron microscope.

The face of a long-horned insect, shot in close-up.

Post 446 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome stuff.

Funny timing as I just purchased a microscope for my son earlier today. Upgrading my own that is about 20 years+ old.

Not expecting that quality of image though lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Ant face seen with electron microscope.

The face of a long-horned insect, shot in close-up.

Post 447 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
This critter came to visit at work today.

Post 448 IP   flag post
@OGJackster Those are amazing! The ant in particular is just spectacular.
Post 449 IP   flag post
I like how you got him in a harness vs just a leash. I imagine that's much more comfortable for the dog.
Post 450 IP   flag post
Quote:
I like how you got him in a harness vs just a leash. I imagine that's much more comfortable for the dog.

Safer for the dog while in the car, too.
Post 451 IP   flag post
Paralyzed fella is able to communicate finally. Wants a beer.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/want-beer-paralysed-man-communicates-154452109.html
Post 452 IP   flag post
FINALLY ON DISPLAY!!!

My collection of Godzilla & Gamera DVDs/Blu-Rays. It's as complete as I can make it so far, with bootlegs of things not readily available, like the Japanese version of "King Kong vs. Godzilla" (sub-titled) and the Japanese version of "Godzilla 1984" (sub-titled). Also includes tie-ins to the Godzilla franchise, such as Mothra, Rodan, Varan, Atragon, Space Amoeba, Dogora, etc., etc.

Post 453 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Post 454 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
If you like mystery boxes that don't suck, I have my best ones I've ever put together tomorrow night, Saturday 11pm EST on WhatNot. Only 10 boxes total.. Here's the preview, I think its pretty cool lol
clickable text
Post 455 IP   flag post
598061 999 30