Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool: Part 416283

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
So..some guy on a facebook group posted a few photos - the championship crest and my grandfathers (Dido's) player certificate from 1942/43!!!

why the heck does he have my Dido's player cert!!!

Post 1 IP   flag post
a few other of my grand dads patches as well as my dad and uncles from the 40's through the 60's!!

Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Did you ask him?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Did you ask him?
just asked permission to join the group - will share these other badges and ask if I can have the certificate!!

somewhere in a box I have team photos too! for both my dad, uncle (often on same teams) and my grand dads teams
Post 4 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
The badges/patches are very cool! I could post photos of my dad's naughty underground comics but I'd get booted off! How about this instead:

During WWII, civil defense was issued sets of silhouette cards to assist in identifying enemy aircraft. My family got one because we're on the west coast near Ellwood Beach, one of the only mainland locations to have been bombed during the war (True story: Ellwood Beach was shelled by a Japanese submarine in one of the least effective acts of war ever. Of course, Japanese newspapers reported it was a mighty victory that sent the Americans fleeing. Seriously... we barely noticed).
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd my grandmothers brother had these and some other stuff - he was a navigator on a Lancaster Bomber in WWII

Shot down twice behind enemy lines and escaped both times!!!

Post 6 IP   flag post
@KatKomics That is insanely cool!! The Lancaster Bomber is definitely one of the cards I have. Such a great plane.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@KatKomics That is insanely cool!! The Lancaster Bomber is definitely one of the cards I have. Such a great plane.

only 17 left in the world and only 2 in flying condition - 1 of those 2 is 30 minutes from me and routinely flies over (along with other planes from the Canadian Warplane Museum) as they need to fly to stay in good condition - can't imagine hundreds of them over head - just one gives an awesome rumble!!

Every once in a while one of their planes circles the Niagara Peninsula - apparently you can book a seat!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
1 of those 2 is 30 minutes from me and routinely flies over (along with other planes from the Canadian Warplane Museum)
My jealousy has reached epic proportions. I could counter by saying (whiny voice) that I've been to a few airshows, but... No. That'd be too embarrassing. I'll just doff my cap, as one should under such circumstances.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
Keeping with the WWII theme, going through my wife’s grandfather’s belongings and found this:

Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@PhantomEwan that is awesome!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
@PhantomEwan WOW!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
This too:

Post 13 IP   flag post
@PhantomEwan these are incredible!! Shouldn't these be in some museum somewhere? Do you how your wife's grandfather came by them?
Post 14 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Stupid question. If these are originals, Shouldn't this stuff be in a museum archive?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@PhantomEwan Double WOW!!!
I'm with @Jesse_O & @Bronte. If those are original signatures, these documents should be archived.
Post 16 IP   flag post

Post 17 IP   flag post
@PhantomEwan dude, you're killing me here!!! At the very least, tell me that they are stored properly and not sitting in some shoe box in a closet!!
Post 18 IP   flag post
It looks like you have General MacArthur, Admiral Nimitz and President Truman's signatures on those papers. The Truman signature might have been a secretary or autopen, but still ... these are incredible!!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
They were in an old wooden “suitcase”
for I don’t know how long. He was a career military man but he never talked about the war. We never knew about any of these until after he passed and we were going through his stuff. I don’t think the signatures are authentic but I may have to consult someone more knowledgeable than me make sure.
Post 20 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool documents! To my untrained eyes I am quite certain they are copies of handwriting on a more modern printing of the surrender instruments.

So printed over (machine copy of the sigs over similarly spaced original text facsimile).
Post 21 IP   flag post
Btw modern could be 1960s… who knows.

It could also be a facsimile copy contemporary to the originals but I am more doubtful.

The original surrender docs are indeed in museums. I am 99% sure (as Phantom also believes) that they are not real, original sigs.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
From my office window in Halifax, NS

No shipping problems here

Post 23 IP   flag post

Taking “cool” literally here. More like ice cold.
Post 24 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 25 IP   flag post
@WMorse Cool coins!
Post 26 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I've got some coins.

Post 27 IP   flag post
@GAC WOW!!! Those are excellent! Those last 3 in particular are really striking.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd Thank you!! I appreciate that.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@GAC WOW!!! Those are excellent! Those last 3 in particular are really striking.

Hehe, “striking” when describing minted coins. Intentional?
Post 30 IP   flag post
601484 999 30