Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

I think this sums it up...16212

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I think this article sums up the feelings of a majority of the fans of the comic book movie genre. If there is discussion, please keep it civil.

ANGELINA JOLIE, KUMAIL NANJIANI ATTACK 'ETERNALS' FANS OVER WOKE CONTENT

With Eternals likely a huge bomb at the box office, now things are getting ugly as some of the actors involved with the movie are attacking the fans, which includes Angelina Jolie and Kumail Nanjiani.

Eternals is another woke movie to come out of Hollywood that changes the characters to promote a woke politically correct agenda, which of course comes at the expense of the story, as the story is forced to inorganically promote that agenda, so it's no wonder these types of woke flicks fail time and time again.

So as the fans don't like the woke material, which is simply proven by box office numbers and ratings, now both Angelina Jolie and Kumail Nanjiani have come out against those fans that don't support political correctness.

Kumail Nanjiani, who plays Kingo, tweeted, "‘Looks like we’re upsetting the right people," in response to an article claiming Eternals is being review bombed at IMDb by fans who aren't happy with the LGBT+ representation in the film.

Regarding Angelina Jolie, who plays Thena, following the Middle East banning and editing the flick, she called fans ignorant for not liking the woke content.

"I still don’t understand how we live in a world today where there’s still [people who] would not see the family Phastos has and the beauty of that relationship and that love,” she said. “How anybody is angry about it, threatened by it, doesn’t approve or appreciate it is ignorant.”

Why not create original characters instead of replacing them?

I suppose I am included in the list of being "ignorant" as I am not at all happy that Lauren Ridloff was cast as Makkari, as I grew up reading Makkari in issues of Quasar where the character is a red-headed male who doesn't have any handicaps, but in the film, they replaced Makkari with a deaf POC female, wherein the comics, the Eternals - because they are eternal - don't change or get handicaps.

So I'm in the wrong for wanting to see the original version of the character in the movie that I grew up with instead of a woke character that was only created in the movie to promote the woke agenda?

I suggest Kevin Feige, Angelina Jolie, and Kumail Nanjiani read what the creator of Netflix's Cobra Kai series has to say about adapting IPs where he mentions to create new characters, to not forget about original characters, to "respect, encourage and engage your fandom," and not to argue with the fans (via THR).

Hey, maybe he's ignorant, too?
clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, I'm a happy ignoramus too.
Make New Characters so I can ignore them, don't change the ones I know and love.
I second I heard Makkari was a deaf girl I was like .. uhhhh no he's not.
But .. I'll just break out my raw Eternals and read them carefully at the table and remember what it was like to be young and love comics.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
IBTL
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not so sure it's about 'woke' or not.

I didn't go to see the movie with my family because all of a sudden there are multiple 'big' movies all being released close to each other and we only have so much free time, budget etc.

My son and I saw Venom2 and he and I (maybe even the wife) will go see Ghost Busters 3 -we all saw Dune, my wife and I saw Last Duel (just great!!) - but skipped Bond as we will likely buy it when it is available (own all the other Bond), skipped Eternals because it just didn't seem interesting from the previews/trailers - I have 9k comics and as a comic fan I can honestly say even though I've read issues over the years the Eternals never really interested me that much (though I won't be selling my 9.2 #1).

Eternals just didn't make the cut as far as movies the family wanted to watch based on the trailers - also...in 6 months we can watch it on Disney+
Post 4 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

Kumail Nanjiani, who plays Kingo, tweeted, "‘Looks like we’re upsetting the right people," in response to an article claiming Eternals is being review bombed at IMDb by fans who aren't happy with the LGBT+ representation in the film.

lol, wth... I didn't even know any of that was in it.

I didn't go see it because it looks like a stupid movie based on the trailers.

I guess that makes me a racist, homophobe...?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'll also say that Eternals was always going to be a tough sell..too large a 'team' and again..from the trailers I really couldn't figure what it was about or why I should care - like any of the FF movies.

Avengers they each had a movie (mostly) before the team movie - Guardians was a small uncomplicated group and also an uncomplicated a movie
Post 6 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
So ... the number one movie since it's release is a "huge bomb" at the box office? I really question where you find these articles.

Associated Press article "Marvel's 'Eternals' tops domestic box office for second weekend, but takes steep drop"
Post 7 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I'll also say that Eternals was always going to be a tough sell..too large a 'team' and again..from the trailers I really couldn't figure what it was about or why I should care

Bingo.

That, plus I'm quite "Marveled" out.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Its a highly political and slanted post honestly. Using labels like "woke" to generalize groups of people is always a road to hate and negativity.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 1976jfperez private msg quote post Address this user
Diversity is not an issue with me but I'm in the camp of create new characters instead of changing established ones.
Post 10 IP   flag post
As I have said in the past, I'm all for LGBT+ representation but please leave the legacy characters the same way they were created and create new original characters as suggested in the article. Is that asking too much? As for Angelina Jolie and Kumail Nanjiani attacking fans, I think THEY are the ignorant ones because they don't understand the reasoning for the displeasure of why the fans aren't happy.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I award you no points! stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Political crap aside, it’s tough to introduce us to a brand new team, I mean I guess GotG and Ms Marvel vaguely touched on this type stuff, but I dunno seems too much too soon. Im on the fence about it tbh
Post 12 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I get the concept that Feige was reportedly looking for, that the eternals were created to watch/guide their respective planets and thus the individual eternals should be representative of the planet. And thus, by extension, each race if you will. That in and of itself, to me, is a plausible departure from the original canon.

But there were parts I could have deafinately done without. Makkari was just a weird throw in character that just didn't fit the story line. Sprite always bugged me in the comics and even more so in the movie, but still. And I could have definitely done without the Sersi/Ikaris sex scene. That and the aforementioned Pastos remake and kiss as again, they did not develop the story line, but instead seemed to be thrown in for more of a gratuitous intent.

I am hardly a prude, but I like my superheroes movies sans the sex scenes and such. I actually loved what they did with Kingo and Gilga-Mess.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I really question where you find these articles.

I posted the link at the end of the article.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
I love Jack Kirby!

But the Eternals was stupid. It was a watered down version of his DC 4th World work. It was a really dumb idea for them to decide that was going to be one of the centerstones of the latest phase.

And anyone who uses "woke" as a derogatory term has a small penis.

Really small.

Like embarrassingly small.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Cerebus3000 private msg quote post Address this user
In general, I don't see a problem with it. Books that become movies commonly have all sorts of changes, but only certain types of changes seem to result in the "you ruined the thing I loved" complaint. Creating new characters can avoid that. However, if you are growing your media empire based on 40+ year old IP then maybe refreshing the content to reflect the times shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

If you are negatively review bombing a movie because of a change from the original source material, and not because you genuinely found the movie to be bad, then you might be a little too stuck in nostalgia. If the negative review is because seeing two men kiss makes you throw up a bit in your mouth, well that likely does put you in the ignorant camp.

Obviously, I still reserve the right to be outraged when they come for the specific thing that I love, whatever that may be.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebus3000
In general, I don't see a problem with it. Books that become movies commonly have all sorts of changes, but only certain types of changes seem to result in the "you ruined the thing I loved" complaint. Creating new characters can avoid that. However, if you are growing your media empire based on 40+ year old IP then maybe refreshing the content to reflect the times shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

If you are negatively review bombing a movie because of a change from the original source material, and not because you genuinely found the movie to be bad, then you might be a little too stuck in nostalgia. If the negative review is because seeing two men kiss makes you throw up a bit in your mouth, well that likely does put you in the ignorant camp.

Obviously, I still reserve the right to be outraged when they come for the specific thing that I love, whatever that may be.

THIS
Post 17 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think the character swaps makes any difference at all. I bet most of us have no idea the characters were changed. These were C and D list characters when they were in the comics. I predicted a couple years ago that they would not go over anything like the A list characters.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So ... the number one movie since it's release is a "huge bomb" at the box office?....but takes steep drop"

Relatively speaking, it is a bomb. "Hugh bomb"? No. But bomb, yes as it cost an estimated 200 million and has only grossed 171 million to date with a "steep drop" in recent week.
Post 19 IP   flag post
oh wow, but what about all the action figure revenues, and lunchboxes, and posters and notebooks and .....yeah, Disney lost NOTHING on this movie , bet that .Nevermind the overseas release, and eventual streaming and DVD sales
Post 20 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
So ... the number one movie since it's release is a "huge bomb" at the box office?....but takes steep drop"

Relatively speaking, it is a bomb. "Hugh bomb"? No. But bomb, yes as it cost an estimated 200 million and has only grossed 171 million to date with a "steep drop" in recent week.

I would have agreed with you pre-covid.....post-covid, this movie is a success.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPaxson002
I love Jack Kirby!

But the Eternals was stupid. It was a watered down version of his DC 4th World work. It was a really dumb idea for them to decide that was going to be one of the centerstones of the latest phase.

Really small.

This is an interesting take ...big fourth world fan and I did not see it as such, I will have to watch it again and see if I can pick up on it. Interesting take!
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town - the 171 mil includes the overseas releases to date. I agree at Disney will not lose money, but it is not the margin that they or producers in general are looking for.

@GAC - agreed, but still not what they were hoping for even with the pandemic considered. Which is why they held it back so long.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Not going to dive into the political slant of the original article, but I did see the movie with my wife and kid, and we were bored out of our minds. I've enjoyed all of the Marvel movies to various degrees and this was the first one I couldn't stand. If you'd like a perfect eight second summary of the film as told by Aqua Teen Hunger Force, then here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRSGYmCl58

Personally for me, it had nothing to do with the alleged political correctness of the movie. I've never read Eternals but the movie focused on Sersi and Ikaris, and I thought they were the most boring characters of the group. Most interesting characters had the least amount of screen time -- Druig, Gilgamesh, Thena and Phastos. The story didn't make sense, the pacing was absolutely terrible, and I didn't care about the Deviants at all. The thing was a mess. Best part was the post-credits scene which is a very big problem.

(FYI, I absolutely loved Shang-Chi, and my kid won't stop talking about it. After seeing it, he kept asking me when Shang-Chi 2 was coming out and when he could watch it again on Disney Plus. As for Eternals, he hasn't mentioned it once since seeing it -- and it has nothing to do with "wokeness." He's 4 and a half years old.)
Post 24 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's a bomb because it's a bomb. If no one wanted to pay thirty five cents to read about the characters, then they certainly aren't going to pay $10 to $15 to watch them for a couple of hours. Add alienating the folks that are actually fans of the series and you end up with a bona fide flop.

You can be the number 1 movie, but if your take is 175 million to a budget of 200 million, then you're a flop.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
The story didn't make sense, the pacing was absolutely terrible, and I didn't care about the Deviants at all. The thing was a mess. Best part was the post-credits scene which is a very big problem.

Originally Posted by DrWatson
You can be the number 1 movie, but if your take is 175 million to a budget of 200 million, then you're a flop".

Bingo!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I don't think the character swaps makes any difference at all. I bet most of us have no idea the characters were changed. These were C and D list characters when they were in the comics. I predicted a couple years ago that they would not go over anything like the A list characters.

I also couldn't care about dudes kissing - I'm more offended by people named "Allysyn" where one Y is a consonant and one Y is a vowel (guess I'm really more offended at their parents for the stupid name) - lots of other names offend me too, also clothes that are too tight for the wrong body type (this coming from a slightly over weight middle aged guy who could pass for a hobo in an instant -but I OWN it!! best looking hobo in town!!) , ear spacers..although judging by the spacer I could buy that nice girl at the shop in town for only a few goats (might be worth it??)
but guys kissing - this is 2021..get over it

side note..I remember watching Crash in the theater - after the girl on girl scene later in the film there was a guy with guy scene -and people got up and left...but were totally ok with the girl on girl

also C and D is probably generous for these characters
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPaxson002

Really small.

LMAO LOL!!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
also C and D is probably generous for these characters

I change my stance (which means nothing), @KatKomics wins the internet today.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
This has been said previously, but The Eternals didn't bomb because it's woke (if you would argue that it bombed at all). I think to assert that is gratuitously spinning a narrative that is far from the truth. As a young person that constitutes what is likely a core MCU demographic (a lot of my friends are huge MCU followers), my observations are akin to most people's: who cares about the Eternals?

A subset of comic book fans? Sure, but even that would be generous. Not the general public. Not a single MCU fan that I know went to go see it.

This movie was always going to have trouble at the box office, but if you feel compelled to reduce its woes to "wokeness" then look at the success of other Marvel movies that have been lambasted as "woke garbage" by a sizable demographic. This simply isn't the case.
Post 30 IP   flag post
608070 132 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?