Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Can u use old Price Guides to build data for a specific book?16181

Collector Sunvox private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious as to the long term price history of Action Comics #29 and Detective Comics #122. GPA and the other modern sites only track data since the age of CGC, correct? I'm interested in sales from the '80s and 90s as well. If I buy old editions of the Overstreet Price Guide can I create longer term data? Does anyone here have old editions? How did Overstreet create price estimates?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Back in the day I believe Overstreet used averages based on reported sales from comic shops/dealers.

What is your goal or purpose for the long term data analysis?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I have a complete run of the Overstreet Price Guide. Give me a while (I'm out of town today) and I can come up with the goods for you. No prob.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Back in the day I believe Overstreet used averages based on reported sales from comic shops/dealers.

I'm very interested in these two books, but I'd like to have a better understanding of how they have priced over the decades. How much variation has happened decade to decade. It comes down to trying to decide whether or not to buy at current prices or hope for a correction. I'd love to see how the prices changed or not after 1975, 1987, 1995, and 2000 to see if there is possible link to stock market valuations. I'm also curious to see if there is a significant difference in appreciation percentages based on grade. From my very basic research so far it seems big name books can actually have bigger percentage appreciation in lower grades, higher dollar appreciation in upper grades, but lower percentages. Also, just curious because I love to analyze stuff
Post 4 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvox
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I'm very interested in these two books, but I'd like to have a better understanding of how they have priced over the decades. How much variation has happened decade to decade. It comes down to trying to decide whether or not to buy at current prices or hope for a correction. I'd love to see how the prices changed or not after 1975, 1987, 1995, and 2000 to see if there is possible link to stock market valuations. I'm also curious to see if there is a significant difference in appreciation percentages based on grade. From my very basic research so far it seems big name books can actually have bigger percentage appreciation in lower grades, higher dollar appreciation in upper grades, but lower percentages. Also, just curious because I love to analyze stuff

Very cool!! Please share your results. Best of luck!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't forget to take inflation into account. What you are going to see is a mild increase in value up til the 90s or so til wizard really started to come out.

What grades are you looking for or a full spectrum of grades?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I have a complete run of the Overstreet Price Guide. Give me a while (I'm out of town today) and I can come up with the goods for you. No prob.

Wow. That would be amazing. This forum rocks!

I don't want to assume anything or not appear truly thankful so let me know if I can do anything by way of showing my thanks aside from simply saying . . .

Thanks!!

Post 7 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Overstreet 8:

Action Comics:

Detective comics:
Post 8 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Also, just curious because I love to analyze stuff
Why do you think I have a complete run of Overstreet?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Overstreet 10

Post 10 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Zero
Post 11 IP   flag post
Overstreet 12

Post 12 IP   flag post
Overstreet 14

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
There are academic papers on comic book price movements over time. They may interest you.

The more relevant comparison is not absolute prices or even their sequential movements and volatility, but rather movements vs other asset classes (equities, bonds, re, etc). Assuming you are adding as part of a diversified portfolio I suggest thinking more in terms of beta.

My own modeling suggests that virtually any DC key is a relative buy today. Any Marvel key is a sell or hold at best. This applies to GA, SA and some BA. Moderns are a different animal and offer limited “investable” options.

Relative being within comics as a sub-class of collectibles. Relative to other asset classes I am happy to hold DC keys and mega keys over a lot of other investable assets today (equities).

A System Dynamic Model of the American Collectable Comic Book Market

Hah, I should have figured as much. Usually people don't plunk down millions on a collectable without some guidance. I see now I'm WAY behind the curve in exploring this issue. Super glad to hear your comment "My own modeling suggests that virtually any DC key is a relative buy today." as that's exactly what drove me to this discussion.

Any thoughts on my two proposed purchases as in wait or not?

I am new to this game but I would say I am a collector for sure and I'm not really looking to "invest", but since I intend to leave my collection to my children, I'd rather leave them something that has a better than average chance of not losing value. So, if that means waiting a while to collect an item at a potentially lower price then I'm happy to do so, but if on the other hand these are, as you say, currently undervalued then perhaps there's no time like the present.

Ah, first world problems.

And, many thanks to BP for the page pictures. Really interesting! I see now I can buy old copies for a mere pittance. Might be fun just to have
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Sunvox

It was fairly easy to do. They are all from my personal collection, each bought years ago:

Post 15 IP   flag post
Value
Post 16 IP   flag post
Add
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Sunvox I am a collector first or would never put $ into comics or other collectibles. The beauty of collecting things you enjoy that also serve as investments is you get “double returns”… the enjoyment of collecting while also benefiting from “expense avoidance”… diversification too.

Btw, I want to be clear - I don’t see any comics as necessarily “undervalued” on an absolute basis. I am merely saying that everything I see suggests DC keys and mega keys are undervalued vs other comics. Mainly Marvel and modern keys.

Vs other collectibles they appear “in line”… or undervalued (eg AC 1 looks undervalued vs where it will likely be compared in the future - against fine art).

Vs equities likely “in line” with some inflation hedge that equities don’t have.

Vs GDP and real economic growth, overvalued.

So I could see plenty of scenarios where DC keys will drop in the near term because of the last comparison above. I would expect long term that DC keys will do very well against Marvel. Overall I expect good long term (20+ years) prospects as classic comics will be cemented as historically significant to 20th and 21st century culture… and will be lumped more closely with art work - getting the credit deserved.

There is nuance in the above… I don’t want that missed.

None of this is investment advice of course, just how I see the market.

I am the first to say that my words on the internet do not always convey my true meaning well so with that in mind I have a quick question regarding the comment above. It will sidetrack the thread slightly but is relevant to me in this discussion.

When you say comics are in line with equities but over valued with regards to GDP and real growth does that imply you feel equities are also overvalued with regard to real growth?

I ask because that is how I feel and that is what is making me hesitant to purchase now. I sense a huge bursting bubble in equities in the next 2-5 years, and a concomitant bursting of collectable prices. Not that I'm Ben Graham or anything, but in the past my Spidey Sense regarding equity valuations has served me well enough that I'm planning to retire 5 years early. (Anyone following along please do not take my opinion on equities the wrong way - it's just my guess and not a value judgement on anyone else's opinion.)

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts on the matter. Greatly appreciated.

Just have to weigh how much I would enjoy looking at those books on my wall NOW versus waiting a few years assuming buying now implies over paying. Oh, the dilemma

Final comment, I'm going to take the couple of prices above and try to see if I can tease a trend line out of them. I'm dying to see if current pricing when viewed on a logarithmic scale is actually in line with the long term trend starting with the 1978 prices.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thank
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Yes, I think equities are overvalued and due for a correction. I still hold them.

I can’t time the market but I can change my weights to manage risk. Also holding enough “dry powder” to take advantage.

People are greedy now. You know what Warren says…

Hah! Birds of a Feather and all that
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I think it isnt feasible at all to suggest just because a comic is published by Marvel and not DC that it has no upside...way overgeneralized and does not nearly reflect the reality of the market.
It is largely true most DC keys are a buy in price as compared to their marvel counterparts, but there are quite a few marvel keys that still have ALOT of room to move upwards and will do just that.
Consider Incredible Hulk 271 and its pre cursor Marvel preview 7...the original first appearances of Rocket, the beloved "rabbit" as Thor called him, from Guardians of the Galaxy. We know Gunn is now filming volume 3 of that title and it will hit the big screen perhaps 2023 0r 2024 latest. As anticpation builds for this new chapter, so will prices for the two intros of this character, once more. The census tells us there are 694 copies on hand of the original intro in Marvel Preview 7....and 3500 or so copies of the other book. So that suggests of the original magazine intro, published almost 50 years ago there are less than 700 total copies and since CBCS does not encapsulate magazine formats, the CGC census is for now the closest we have to an accurate count.That is an amazingly low introduction for a key character in an upcoming movie....as for the Hulk introduction into regular size comic formats, it was an assistant editors month issue that caught most collectors sleeping, and has a white cover that makes finding higher grade copies especially fun, however of the 3500 copies on census, the majority are sitting above 9.0 which is a solid indicator that people arent submitting the book as much as they will once prices go higher in lower grades.
If you caught anything Marvel is putting out in regards to their new projects, you doubtless saw that Ruffalo/Hulk appears in the trailer for the upcoming She Hulk series...we KNOW that he is slated to become Banner again, in order to help her with her medical issue. Marvel seems to be moving the character back towards it roots, leaving open the likelihood of a new movie featuring the Jade giant. In a previous thread I demonstrated his introduction in Hulk 1 is ridiculously short in numbers at around 1800 copies. Anything featuring the character, or a stand alone movie will send this one spiraling .
If you saw Shang Chi you had to make note that for whatever reason Marvel dusted off the character Abomination and used him for this one. Why? I can tell you that the character also plays a role in the upcoming She hulk series....First appearance, Tales to Astonish 90 ....a book with less than 500 copies in census, and one third are over 9.0 suggesting another key book that has not hit a high enough plateau to draw alot of slabbing below the 9.0 level.
Another marvel key with plenty of room to move, a known use in upcoming Marvel events and the liklihood of a decent surge higher quickly.
Those are just a few Marvel books with bright futures that will continue moving higher and faster for a number of solid reasons.
I can agree that many Marvel books have moved out of reach or high enough they are difficult to plot a course for, however there are gems to be gathered from the beach still
Post 21 IP   flag post
You ;-)
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I think it isnt feasible at all to suggest just because a comic is published by Marvel and not DC that it has no upside...way overgeneralized and does not nearly reflect the reality of the market.

. . . .

As always a fantastic addition to the conversation!

Absolutely, 100% agree with that statement, but I think the way you phrased that misses a point. Again, I am super new and have MUCH yet to learn, but from what I have seen I think - in general - Marvel comics have already seen price run ups whereas many quality DC comics have lagged. Does that mean all DC's are better values or one can not find values in Marvel books? No, absolutely not; I only think it's more likely to find a undervalued DC key than a Marvel. Also, quite honestly, I do not feel '70s era MCU books regardless of movies will have the same appeal in 50 or 100 years as the much more rare GA books, but that is obviously subject to enormous debate and opinion.

Of much greater importance is the fact that I don't think I'd enjoy a Hulk (even if it's a She-Hulk) comic on my wall nearly as much as a Detective Comic with Catwoman on the front but that's the guy in me for sure

Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Please use paragraph breaks.

I agree there are going to be exceptions. But generalizations are helpful as a starting point. If putting big $ down on single issues of course it makes sense to understand the specifics for a given book.

For investing the biggest driver of overall performance starts with asset class selection, not individual stock picking. Then comes industry selection, then the individual company/stock.

DC keys are (for the majority of relevant comparables) undervalued vs. Marvel.

The “why” is easy to answer in a market heavy on speculation and light on analysis.
Sorry, you aren't my mom, if you do not appreciate what I offer, ignore my posts. You do not get to be a censor though.

...and no, generalizations are not generally productive. It might make things more simple, but in the process, it eliminates entire chapters that can be useful... ie eliminating all Marvels when in fact there are numerous exceptions.

For the thousandth time, comics aren't stocks, they are a collectible and you do not have to use wall street mansplaining methods for them to understand that there are good Marvel books to invest in , as well as DC. Period. It has nothing to with "asset class selection, individual nose picking, or industry selection" In short, people can pick comics on any basis they want to invest in, and logic is the best one of all. A census can tell you alot, upcoming movie hints, as much . After almost fifty years of spotting the best "individual stock picking" for my collection I have a decent eye for it myself. I have never required asset class selection, and industry category production reports to do that. Sorry
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town I politely asked. It is difficult to read your post otherwise.

As for the rest… silence is the best response.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Darkseid_of_town I politely asked. It is difficult to read your post otherwise.

As for the rest… silence is the best response.
and if you took the time to look closely at my posts, you would notice they do have paragraph breaks, just not as you want them. As I said, if its that stressful to read what I post you might wish to consider taking a break from what i post.

As for the rude comment, agreed, silence is the best response.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Guess my browser is busted cuz I see no paragraph breaks here

Quote:
It is largely true most DC keys are a buy in price as compared to their marvel counterparts, but there are quite a few marvel keys that still have ALOT of room to move upwards and will do just that.
Consider Incredible Hulk 271 and its pre cursor Marvel preview 7...the original first appearances of Rocket, the beloved "rabbit" as Thor called him, from Guardians of the Galaxy. We know Gunn is now filming volume 3 of that title and it will hit the big screen perhaps 2023 0r 2024 latest. As anticpation builds for this new chapter, so will prices for the two intros of this character, once more. The census tells us there are 694 copies on hand of the original intro in Marvel Preview 7....and 3500 or so copies of the other book. So that suggests of the original magazine intro, published almost 50 years ago there are less than 700 total copies and since CBCS does not encapsulate magazine formats, the CGC census is for now the closest we have to an accurate count.That is an amazingly low introduction for a key character in an upcoming movie....as for the Hulk introduction into regular size comic formats, it was an assistant editors month issue that caught most collectors sleeping, and has a white cover that makes finding higher grade copies especially fun, however of the 3500 copies on census, the majority are sitting above 9.0 which is a solid indicator that people arent submitting the book as much as they will once prices go higher in lower grades.
If you caught anything Marvel is putting out in regards to their new projects, you doubtless saw that Ruffalo/Hulk appears in the trailer for the upcoming She Hulk series...we KNOW that he is slated to become Banner again, in order to help her with her medical issue. Marvel seems to be moving the character back towards it roots, leaving open the likelihood of a new movie featuring the Jade giant. In a previous thread I demonstrated his introduction in Hulk 1 is ridiculously short in numbers at around 1800 copies. Anything featuring the character, or a stand alone movie will send this one spiraling .
If you saw Shang Chi you had to make note that for whatever reason Marvel dusted off the character Abomination and used him for this one. Why? I can tell you that the character also plays a role in the upcoming She hulk series....First appearance, Tales to Astonish 90 ....a book with less than 500 copies in census, and one third are over 9.0 suggesting another key book that has not hit a high enough plateau to draw alot of slabbing below the 9.0 level.
Another marvel key with plenty of room to move, a known use in upcoming Marvel events and the liklihood of a decent surge higher quickly.
Those are just a few Marvel books with bright futures that will continue moving higher and faster for a number of solid reasons.
I can agree that many Marvel books have moved out of reach or high enough they are difficult to plot a course for, however there are gems to be gathered from the beach still
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

. . . .

As always a fantastic addition to the conversation!

Absolutely, 100% agree with that statement, but I think the way you phrased that misses a point. Again, I am super new and have MUCH yet to learn, but from what I have seen I think - in general - Marvel comics have already seen price run ups whereas many quality DC comics have lagged. Does that mean all DC's are better values or one can not find values in Marvel books? No, absolutely not; I only think it's more likely to find a undervalued DC key than a Marvel. Also, quite honestly, I do not feel '70s era MCU books regardless of movies will have the same appeal in 50 or 100 years as the much more rare GA books, but that is obviously subject to enormous debate and opinion.

Of much greater importance is the fact that I don't think I'd enjoy a Hulk (even if it's a She-Hulk) comic on my wall nearly as much as a Detective Comic with Catwoman on the front but that's the guy in me for sure

Again I will offer that generlizations are not useful here. SOME Marvel comics have seen price run ups...agreed. But then too so have some DC books...Shazam anyone? For that matter early Aquaman, the character Peacemaker from DC, or Judomaster, or the Batman that Laughs, or Punchline books? DC books are seeing similar price escalations if you look for them...but simple fact is DC has not and is not producing cinematic basis for it in general at the level Marvel has.
I agree there are massive bargains for the DC buyer in silver age books that are vastly under-rated and missed opportunities. ( Speaking as the guy who is known for hoarding New gods, and Zatanna early books into the multiples .I own a showcase 22, Green lantern 1, etc )
As far as what you find that is an undervalued key, DC VS Marvel that is entirely dependent on the criteria for your search.....age, condition, characters, the unique quality of any given book, or even the artist, writer or inker?
It also might add to the discussion to state that again generalizing has damaged the way this discussion is shaping. By example..the statement about 70's era marvels having the same value as golden age books in 50-100 years. Marvel comics were produced in the golden age....just like DC. Characters like the human torch and sub mariner go back to that time period ....as do many others.
The problem I have with arguing that golden age characters will be more valuable in fifty years than Marvel cinematic characters of today is ...the almost certainty of the films being remade and having a rebirth if not one, many more times in the coming hundred years.
The current mood or feel at DC is not supporting or keeping their characters in front of the public they way marvel is and has cinematically.This seems to shift, as I remember in the eighties when DC was tearing it up with Batman and SUperman movies and was the golden boy of comic based films.

I couldnt agree with you more about enjoying a nice catwoman cover, over a she hulk cover, but I guess my point is why choose? As a famous athlete once said..."Both".....or why choose catwoman when you could have Jojo or any of the other good girl art covers?

Here are a few of my faves in that genera...3 from DC first

A few from other publishers besides Marvel and DC

and a few from Marvel

Perhaps a seperate "asset class" from an "alternate industry" but I like them
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Guess my browser is busted cuz I see no paragraph breaks here

Quote:
Apparently so...but again are you a moderator and why are you harassing people?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Ahh . . . I see there is "history" here. Sorry to have been the cause of the latest friction, but we better play nice before my thread gets locked. Thanks to both of you for offering differing opinions.

Truth be told I am still very interested to see what a long term chart of annual prices looks like for different specific books. I think it could be enlightening or at least entertaining for those of us that like graphs
Post 30 IP   flag post
618109 54 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?