Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPGrading Help Needed

CBCS screwed up my slabbing and won’t respond16125

would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickjones2549
@sleeperbat Exactly. No wonder people favor CGC more.

Quality Control is definitely not a reason anyone prefers CGC.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Patrickjones2549 Is this your first submission to CBCS?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector dennisqdw private msg quote post Address this user
Having recently, and for the first time sent off some books to both CGC and CBCS, I'd like to add my 2c. Neither company ran as smoothly as I would have liked. However, CGC has support staff that answers the phones, are on location (more or less from what I could tell) and ranged from somewhat helpful to very helpful. I would receive email responses with full contact information. One of my CGC slabs came back cracked, I called them and immediately got return directions and a prepaid postage label. (granted that it will be months before I get it back ...)

CBCS often didn't answer the phone, and the support staff (off-shore I'm fairly certain, which is not necessarily a problem, but they couldn't ever reach anyone at the home office) literally failed to answer any question that I ever had, and had no contact information. With a great deal of effort I was able to reach Kendra who I give 5 stars to for her help. That said, it should not have been as difficult as it was. If Steve Borock is still reading this, I'd tell you that you really ought to consider hiring some real support staff.

For what it's worth however, In both cases I paid extra for the fastest turnaround time, and CBCS was much much faster. So points to them for that.
Post 28 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@dennisqdw just so you know, if nothing has changed the last two weeks or so, CBCS is actively looking for customer service people. And they have been looking and hiring new people in all areas, with six new people being hired in the last month or so (but no one for customer service yet). However, you have to take into consideration that the number of submissions each month is surpassing the number of submissions the previous month (according to Steve Ricketts recently). Make of it what you will, but CBCS is aware of the issues and are attempting to correct them.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Another tempest in a very tiny teapot. Steve said he would handle it, its clearly an honest mistake. I agree the customer service should and could be much better and the process streamlined and made so that this sort of thing can be resolved rapidly. Once you get past that though, the denigrating, and horse beating are not really productive.
Both companies make mistakes, and just as much as the other guy. CGC does seem to have a better angle on customer service apparently, but you also have to question some of their actions and tactics ie. lining the floors and shelves of their new facility with over a years backlog of grading needing done, while soliciting endless new signings and the promise those books will be done in a given timeframe instead of the waiting backlog.
Six of one, half a dozen of another. I do like the new CBCS cases and the optics much better than CGC , and if they ever do sort this customer service thing they are going to be a really tough force to beat in the market
Post 30 IP   flag post

I do understand that with comic prices exploding, both grading services are hurting for people, and struggling to keep up with demand. I'm glad to hear that CBCS is aware, but customer service is the face of every company, and personally I'd rather wait a little longer to get my books back if I could actually talk to someone. I think Patrick who started this thread wouldn't be complaining at all, if he could have just gotten someone on the phone who would have said "Sure, sorry for the error, here's all the return info you need. We'll take care of it for you."
Post 31 IP   flag post
Yes, totally agree. Its definitely an opportunity for CBCS to step up their game for sure.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector comixfan59 private msg quote post Address this user
I have no books submitted currently since we sent in 13 books all came back severely damaged either damaged by USPS and ignored by CBCS and they went ahead and graded them without notifying us so we could at least put in a claim through insurance, or the staff damaged them at CBSS and said nothing. All had damage in the exact same spot. The grading notes even says “impact” for each book.
They did not take long to return them but another order that went in March received in April finally came back last week.
They refuse to take any accountability of the damaged books by the way costing me thousands of dollars because of how they handled my books.
I have worked at comic book stores, Diamond Comics distributors, and I ran the mail order Warehouse for Eclipse Comics shipping and receiving. I have worked within the comics retail industry for over 45 years and I can tell you it is protocol to check for damage on anything and everything received in a box with damage. It’s part of the JOB. You know actually working. Then depending if there is damage you fill out a damage report or notify the customer and/or your superiors. If you don’t notice damage to 13 books and realize that for 13 books you be damaged then something or someone happened. Unless you are blind or low cognitive. Then there is the fact that everything that I ship is always packaged very securely with lots of Bubblewrap and Cardboard in a professional (there is that rarely practiced word again) manner. Always. We have had several packages with never an issue. Including 10 books I got from CBCS after this incident that were absolutely fine. No issues and a great job grading and slabbing. So my complaints and lack of faith are completely valid and justified to anyone who was raised with the slightest inclination for innate intelligence. And accountability. And professionalism. And just doing the right thing. Damn, what part do you not comprehend?
It should be pointed out that I live in the Bay Area and have worked at several comic stores. I keep in touch with them all and see everyone at local shows. I also help out at one of the biggest shops in Sonoma county. I have spoken to many of them of this incident and every single one agrees that CBCS is in fact responsible through either action or lack of action. Period.
I have shown photos of the damage (Again all in the same area of all the books) and everyone was dumbfounded. At the one particular store there are several customers whom were going to submit Books to CBCS but are now waiting to see how and if this situation is rectified. A couple have just sent their Books to CGC instead. I will be absolutely relentless in this to until I get this situation dealt with in a professional manner and there is resolve.

The very least CBCS could do is take accountability, apologies and offer to Grade an equal amount of Books at no charge.
Then I might use their service again and not waste my Bronze membership.
If this has not made it clear to you then please do not bother responding as you just might be biased and not equipped for truth and accountability.

Update: I called and talked to Chris snd Alex and was told it would be brought to the attention of Ben the manager and I would hear from him within s few days at most. That was more then a week ago. My next step will be when I come to Dallas next Month. I will be visiting the office on McEwen St. to have a discussion about my damaged books in person and unannounced.
Post 33 IP   flag post

Post 34 IP   flag post
Please keep us posted on your visit. I hand delivered and hand picked up my books. The front door is locked and there's no one in the small lobby. You'll have to go to the side door for mail delivery and ask the woman who works there to call over to someone at CBCS to come down and meet you at the front door. It worked out for me, but they were expecting me both times.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisqdw
I think Patrick who started this thread wouldn't be complaining at all, if he could have just gotten someone on the phone who would have said "Sure, sorry for the error, here's all the return info you need. We'll take care of it for you."

Not so long ago they (the call center) would have apologized and suggested you send the bad slab back with your next submission of 5 or more books.
I think they were instructed to stop suggesting that. Maybe that's why they rarely answer.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
You also have to question some of their actions and tactics ie. lining the floors and shelves of their new facility with over a years backlog of grading needing done, while soliciting endless new signings and the promise those books will be done in a given timeframe instead of the waiting backlog.

Both companies are doing this, not just CGC. Apparently CGC is working on something that is getting books sent back a hell of a lot quicker. Some submitters are getting their books back within a few weeks, not months. At least CGC is doing something to help with the backlog. CBCS's customer service is not going to get any better if they continue to do what they're doing, mainly ignoring customer complaints and concerns. Ghosting customers should not be Step 1 - 10 with dealing with irate customers.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I am not sure where i appear to have said CGC was only one doing a few things wrong. I agree CGC is getting some books out faster, but according to those who I asked on facebook that is due to purchasing express service at an extreme cost. Not sure how that helps with backlog, it only selectively serves those who pay more. If anything, at this point it only serves to make the waiting load take longer....while increasing the bottom line for themselves.

As for CBCS customer service I said as much , they do need to fix this and sooner than later. It is somewhat appalling it has gone on this long and without any real resolution in place.
Post 38 IP   flag post
You just left out the part that what you said CGC is doing, CBCS is doing the exact same thing.
Post 39 IP   flag post
uh, yeah, I dont think I ever said they weren't....

I mean..what is there to not get here?

"Both companies make mistakes, and just as much as the other guy."

Are you really that bored?
Post 40 IP   flag post
Nope, just pointing out that CBCS is doing the exact same thing.
Post 41 IP   flag post
You said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
CGC does seem to have a better angle on customer service apparently, but you also have to question some of their actions and tactics ie. lining the floors and shelves of their new facility with over a years backlog of grading needing done, while soliciting endless new signings and the promise those books will be done in a given timeframe instead of the waiting backlog.

CBCS is doing the exact same thing which is what I'm pointing out.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
CBCS is actively looking for customer service people.

Any idea approximately how long they have been actively looking?
Post 43 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Post 44 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash

@Gaard
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixfan59

Update: I called and talked to Chris snd Alex and was told it would be brought to the attention of Ben the manager and I would hear from him within s few days at most. That was more then a week ago. My next step will be when I come to Dallas next Month. I will be visiting the office on McEwen St. to have a discussion about my damaged books in person and unannounced.

Cat’s already working it’s way out of the bag.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixfan59
At the one particular store there are several customers whom were going to submit Books to CBCS but are now waiting to see how and if this situation is rectified. A couple have just sent their Books to CGC instead.

That must be what's keeping the TAT's below 30 weeks.
Post 47 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:

It's been months. I really don't recall when they started, but I'm 90% certain it was before July.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
Asking people on Facebook is probably part of the problem...

There IS some sort of Beta Test going on at CGC and they have set up a parallel grading test process for un-pressed moderns from what I can see. It is not just for Express Tier books as I myself have had normal slow boat 40-book Modern submissions go through in less than TWO WEEKS. I placed an order electronically on 10/4 and had it shipped it to Florida which took a few days. It was SHIPPED BACK starting on 10/19. (Some conjecture it could be a new Modern grading facility, or testing a more efficient processing system.)

It does not affect books already logged into their system unfortunately.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Correct, it does not affect the actual existing backlog of work that is waiting. It is a testing process, meaning it isnt actually being done in real time with the existing load.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:

It's been months. I really don't recall when they started, but I'm 90% certain it was before July.

To seek a qualified candidate for months and not being able to find one indicates an issue in the hiring process. That could be any number of things. Maybe the selection pool needs to be sought in another way, maybe the package being offered isn't big enough to capture a qualified candidate, yada, yada, yada.

Looking at the unemployment rate in the Dallas Fort Worth area it is at just above 4% which is down from 12.8% in April of this year. Somebody is hiring people and the pool of candidates is getting smaller in the area.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckao

There IS some sort of Beta Test going on at CGC and they have set up a parallel grading test process for un-pressed moderns from what I can see. It is not just for Express Tier books as I myself have had normal slow boat 40-book Modern submissions go through in less than TWO WEEKS. I placed an order electronically on 10/4 and had it shipped it to Florida which took a few days. It was SHIPPED BACK starting on 10/19. (Some conjecture it could be a new Modern grading facility, or testing a more efficient processing system.)

A guy in one of the CGC groups on FB said they were doing Bronze age books too in the new system. But you know, that is FB
Post 52 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Coffee Talk; Magazine slabs or customer service first? Talk amongst yourselves?
Post 53 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I can report they are hitting their 6 week TAT on Signature Series Yellow labels (no press).

Remember they were just bought out by some PE boys, if there is one thing they know how to do it's make sausage!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse
Quote:

Remember they were just bought out by some PE boys, if there is one thing they know how to do it's make sausage!

With Blackstone money, setting up a secondary site would be simple. The main question is whether the graders went through enough training or did they move some of the main graders to the new site.
Post 55 IP   flag post
616095 61 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?