Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

New to Submitting comics. I have a few questions about the grading screen,16108

Collector unkownmikevictor private msg quote post Address this user
I have about 15-20 modern comics, I want to submit. For the "Grade screening true" and I know that if I get it wrong I have to pay for a fee. Is the "Grade Screening True" a requirement to fill out or can I simply just keep it at "none" and it will still be graded/slabbed without any issues or fees?

I don't have any issues if the grading is low, these are going to be my personal collection.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
It is not a requirement. Only select grade screen if you want certain grades. Otherwise leave it unchecked.

If your grade screen is 9.6 then you will be charged only for grading if it passes and if it does not pass you will only be charged for the grade screen and it will be returned with the rest of your order.

The same applies to press screen although I’m unsure if the screening fee is waved if it passes for pressing.

Welcome and it’s going to be a while with the current TATs
Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I thought there was a minimum quantity submission required even to use grade screen. Is that incorrect?
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@unkownmikevictor If you do choose to screen your books, you only need to pay the reject fee if a significant number of the screened books fail the screening. If you screen 10 books and 9 pass, you most likely will not be billed a fee for the one that failed.

@EbayMafia No that is not correct
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I thought there was a minimum quantity submission required even to use grade screen. Is that incorrect?

You are thinking about that outfit in Florida. CBCS has never had a minimum to pre-screen grades. Nor do you need to do a separate invoice for each grade you want to prescreen at.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
To correct myself; if a book does not pass grade screen you are charged a “reject fee” there is not an actual Screening fee.

“ Grade Screen

This service allows you to select a minimum grade you would like to have your book certified at. If your book is determined by CBCS to be below the grade you have selected, your book will be returned in it's raw state and you may be charged a nominal "reject fee". If your book meets the minimum grade, it will be certified and placed into a CBCS case with no additional fees. Remember that the screening grade you choose is the minimum it can be to be certified at. In many cases your book may grade higher than the grade you chose.

CBCS is happy to provide this service as a way to prevent customers from having to pay full grading fees for comics they might not want CBCS to certify. Also remember that you can screen for any grade between 3.0 and 9.8 for each individual book. You may choose a completely different Grade Screening level for each one of the comics in your submission on the same invoice. Choosing the Grade Screening service has absolutely no impact on the stated turnaround time of your submission tier. We offer the same CBCS Guarantee with this service that we have on all of your submissions.”
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Can't imagine when I would use grade-screen. If I go through the work and expense to get my books shipped safely to CBCS, they are going in a slab one way or another. Especially after they've sat there for 5 months patiently waiting their turn. I think I used it on one book because I was concerned that it might have color touch on it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Can't imagine when I would use grade-screen. If I go through the work and expense to get my books shipped safely to CBCS, they are going in a slab one way or another. Especially after they've sat there for 5 months patiently waiting their turn. I think I used it on one book because I was concerned that it might have color touch on it.

Grade screen is for grade only. If a book has resto but passes the grade screen, it will get slabbed. IMHO a resto check screen is a great idea, but no one is offering it as a standalone or pre grading service.

Grade screen is great for books (mostly modern) that need a 9.8 to be worthwhile. People use it for last months new books, but it is also useful for a lot of late 70's, 80's and 90's stuff that is $10-$15 NM raw and $150-$300 professionally graded and encapsulated 9.8. Of course there can be other books and grade levels that benefit from a grade screen, but I mostly see it with modern tier books at the 9.8 level.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
I've learned to use it as fail safe for my own incorrect grading. An example is I submitted Batman #307 (1st Lucious Fox) and thought it was 9.0+ It came back a 7.0 because I missed a TINY piece of tape that had gotten stuck to the back. Wish I had grade screened that...
Post 9 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:

You are thinking about that outfit in Florida. CBCS has never had a minimum to pre-screen grades. Nor do you need to do a separate invoice for each grade you want to prescreen at.

That's one of the many areas they crush CGC.
The ability to screen every single book to a different grade, and with no minimums.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash With press screening, you pay the screening fee either way. If it's pressed, you also pay the pressing fee.
Post 11 IP   flag post
601333 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?