Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Thoughts on this?16068

Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been looking for a Stan Lee signed venom book to add to the collection without breaking the bank. Not aiming for keys etc just preferably a nice cover and either verified or witnessed. Found this listing on ebay. And the picture looks like it has to be a slabbed book but does not mention it's graded and the seller did not respond to my messages asking about it. Its currently only at about 100 which i would be more than willing to pay for it assuming its authentic, but really hoping its not a green label or something similar. Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Sebastsk8 it's a yellow label....you can see a sliver of it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Spend the 10 bux to see if it can be verified by Beckett services in the event it is a green label or pgx book. But honestly if the guy isn't answering questions even after a decent amount of time I would pass....

Edit

https://www.beckett-authentication.com/services/signature-review
Post 3 IP   flag post
@GAC I noticed that as I was posting it, just extremely odd he won't respond. He does have 2 other stan lee signed books for sale and 1 is verified, the other is raw.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
@GAC I noticed that as I was posting it, just extremely odd he won't respond. He does have 2 other stan lee signed books for sale and 1 is verified, the other is raw.

It is odd in not responding but maybe he honestly can't respond. That being said, I'd take @Bronte advice..if a decent amount of time has passed so would I.

EDIT: There's something on the slab...the left side top (where the label would be)....some schmutz.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Looking at his past sold items every book he's sold is stan lee signed, most witnessed or verified, one or two raw. So it seems legit hopefully. As long as it doesn't get bid up much more I'll go for it. I did message him twice in the last 2-3 days but I guess it's a possibility he couldn't respond or just hasn't seen the messages.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
bid and retract it a few times, that will get his attention...lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
@Sebastsk8 Wow so no pic of the label at all- that’s wild- maybe you get lucky and it’s a Stan Lee label! 🎉

Looks like a CGC case so would be Witnessed with a date signed- (they don’t do verified)-

Good luck
Post 8 IP   flag post
What’s kinda shady though the seller may have a 9.4 (and only stating “high grade” so someone bids 9.6 or 9.8 money)- lol-

Very sneaky… mmmmhmmmm…
Post 9 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Pgx apparently doesn't do Stan Lee authentication so if that indeed is a yellow label its a higher probability that its a cgc or cbcs.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
some people refuse to show labels for books so someone does not steal the serial number for the CGC registry thing...apparently thats a going thing nowdays
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm fine even if it's a 9.0 or something, I'm buying it more for the sig than anything - I don't have any stan lee signed books and wanted to pick one up for the PC.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town yeah but it’s better when they cover the serial with like a black bar or at least state the grade-

Only info is “high grade”-

Watch it be an 8.0 😂
Post 13 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
The listing says signed by Mark Bagley. They might be hiding a lot more than the grade.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia yeah, the description says it's stan lee and not bagley though. Not sure why they didn't just relist it.
Post 15 IP   flag post
But the the description says signed: Stan Lee. Feedback of 11. I think it's fishy.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 so my best bet is that they used a pre-filled description from other sold books that were signed by Stan Lee. I think it will be yellow label for Mark Bagley and graded down with "Stan Lee written on cover".
Post 17 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia I guess to make sure I message him and ask to disclose anything about the book before payment or shipping. Just tell him if there are any undisclosed issues with the book I'd end up returning it anyways and he'd end up losing money on it for sellers fees.
Post 18 IP   flag post

He has that in the description, I was assuming it was the other way around and it's stan lee signed but went with a saved description from a bagley signed book.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 I think he listed it wrong then it had bids on it so he updated the description so it didn’t lose the bid-

I’d want to know what grade it is prior to it being sent but either way seller is responsible if you want to return it- he even pays return shipping so you’re good here-

I’d just pay for it and then look it over when you receive it- then decide- if he won’t respond to messages- (which also actually helps you as a buyer if return is needed later)-
Post 20 IP   flag post
Well I got it for a decent price, now let's see what he says about it...even at like an 8.0-9.0 I'd take it, it's one of my favorite covers from the asm runs and a fairly popular book, so it's still a pretty good deal.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Turns out it wasn't graded, looks like he took the pic of it on top of a slabbed book.

So basically just a raw signed copy. I'll take a chance on it since he has sold multiple verified and witnessed signed slabs in the past. Just means I'll have to start my list for books to drop off at the next con a little early 😂
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 wow you are doing that when he has 11 feedback- risky-

I mean it looks good to me but $25 to verify plus grading / slab fees-

If it’s a fake then it’s not even worth $5 as it’s a very common book- yours braver than me.

You can also check it out with Beckett Signature Review in 24-48 hours- for $10- and they refund that if they can’t say high chance of being legit or fake!-
Post 23 IP   flag post
Dude also he placed that book perfectly lined up with the book below it- knew what he was doing-

11 feedback and an picture like that - I’d run away from that-

Don’t let your desire for a Stan sig get you carried away- this is looking very much like a fake to me-

Spend the $10 and get the results- then decide-

The thing here is you need to let him ship it then you return (otherwise eBay hits you for backing out of the deal if you do it prior to shipping)- and also just return over him misrepresenting the book condition- DO NOT say Beckett determined it was a fake- they will kick that out and say you saw what you were purchasing- (I’ve been there)-
Post 24 IP   flag post
So he has sold other verified or witnessed Stan Lee signatures? My best guess is that if that signature could pass verification it would have by now. Can't be certain though.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
It's definitely strange, but I don't think it's in a slab, it's on top of one. The seller has listings from over 6 months ago with Stan Lee's signature that received positive feedback.

If you look at the sold listing and scroll through the pictures, it's clear the comic is on top of another slab. Maybe these are the sales of books with signatures that were already rejected by CBCS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284499576519?hash=item423d7f06c7%3Ag%3AuuUAAOSwfjthczST&nma=true&si=nVQihFcglHEF0XFJVAVCPgjX4lE%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd76
Dude also he placed that book perfectly lined up with the book below it- knew what he was doing-

Yup...this is reason enough for me to pass.
Post 27 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't like the "exact comic over slabbed comic photo alignment coincidence".
Don't like that the seller would never respond.
Don't like that blob of yellowing all around Venom's head.
Don't like the way Stan's signature is "blobbed" on there, but that might be the only legit thing about the whole thing. Cuz that's what he did. I don't know if you could forge such a mess.
Hopefully it all works out and you feel you paid a fair price for what you received.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I would've bought it, that's clearly a genuine Stan Lee sig. I've seen a lot, went to several of his signings and have a couple of books with his sig. Anywhere near 100 dollars is a bargain considering he was charging more than that towards the end of his comic-con signing career.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
some people refuse to show labels for books so someone does not steal the serial number for the CGC registry thing...apparently thats a going thing nowdays

I certainly see that for high grades- I do it as a deterrent to stealing my image for a scam. No one in their right mind would buy a slab with a blocked serial number.

On eBay someone twice tried using the image of my AF15 used by the person who sold it to me on the CGC forum. That's when I started blurring them.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598058 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?