Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

confused from graders notes to grade give16018

Collector 2rideli8 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to know if anyone understands this : Amazing spider-man #101 - 6.5
spine stress, corner & edge wear to cover breaks color front cover
scratches & creases to cover breaks color front cover, tiny thin chips bottom right front cover
small foxing back cover & interior cover

Amazing spider-man #300 -5.5
spine stress breaks color
crease bottom left corner back cover breaks color
light fingerprints right front cover

#300 looks at a minimum to be 8.5 and that with a magnifying glass.

Maybe hubble could help
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
post a picture
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I understand what the grader's notes are saying.
Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post
that is a major color-breaking crease on the left back cover

chipping on the right back cover? something going on there

don't need hubble to see that
Post 5 IP   flag post
yeah that is very noticeable but my #101 has many more color breaks on the spine and still got a a grade higher

Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@2rideli8 Are you hoping that someone will explain the issues to you? Here are a couple of examples of spine stress that breaks color:

I think the very large color breaking crease on the back cover is obvious. The length of that crease nukes any chance for an 8.5.

My suggestion is that you pick up a copy of the latest version of the Overstreet Grading Guide. It's a very useful tool when learning to grade comics.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rideli8
#300 looks at a minimum to be 8.5 and that with a magnifying glass.

This makes no sense. That giant color breaking streak across a substantial portion of the back cover is enough to drop it to a 6.0. Books with that large a crease will never get a grade above 6.5 at the highest. The fingerprint is enough to drop the book by multiple grades by itself. This with the other imperfections make the grade appear accurate, or maybe a bit high for that particular book.

The ASM #101 doesn't have fingerprints or a large crease through the cover, it should be given a higher grade. Multiple spine ticks although unsightly don't affect the grade as much as a large crease. I would definitely prefer a book with a color breaking crease on the back cover to a book with a bunch of spine ticks, but the grades appear correct based on the photos you've provided and you should be happy with them.

I would also suggest getting a copy of the Overstreet guide to comic book grading.
Post 8 IP   flag post
several minor spine creases are preferred to that major back cover crease

that's what may be throwing you off
Post 9 IP   flag post
thanks , i don't need that explained . I also have a few overstreets. The 8.5 wasn't what i was looking for. My problem was #101 clearly had more defects than #300 and still got a higher grade.

Thanks for the input
Post 10 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
The big long crease on the back corner along with the side cracking would be the reasons. Front looks good. But the back kills the grade.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
thanks , i don't need that explained . I also have a few overstreets. The 8.5 wasn't what i was looking for. My problem was #101 clearly had more defects than #300 and still got a higher grade.

Thanks for the input

You're welcome, but both of these statements blatantly disregard the Overstreet grading standards, CGC's grading standards and CBCS's grading standards. You seem to be ignoring that the "type" of defect is as important as the amount of defects.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Probably , i am a bit bias. It's shame clean and press job CBCS didn't remove the fingerprints.

thanks again i do appreciate it
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@2rideli8 Some fingerprints are so ingrained that they can't be removed.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Probably , i am a bit bias. It's shame clean and press job CBCS didn't remove the fingerprints.

Fingerprints on comics oftentimes REMOVE the color instead of adding dirt, etc. on top of the color. If a person has something like hand lotion on his fingers when touching a comic the color can actually come off on his fingertips. There's nothing to be removed by a cleaning with those types of fingerprints.

I can't see the fingerprints in the pictures that you posted but that could be what's going on.
Post 15 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:

Fingerprints on comics oftentimes REMOVE the color instead of adding dirt, etc. on top of the color. If a person has something like hand lotion on his fingers when touching a comic the color can actually come off on his fingertips. There's nothing to be removed by a cleaning with those types of fingerprints.

I can't see the fingerprints in the pictures that you posted but that could be what's going on.

What on earth would some guy who reads comics be doing with lotion on his hands?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:

What on earth would some guy who reads comics be doing with lotion on his hands?

maybe he reads undergrounds
Post 17 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Yea I knew there'd be a few comments like that when I wrote that sentence. 😄😄
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
yeah that is very noticeable but my #101 has many more color breaks on the spine and still got a a grade higher

Two grades actually.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

maybe he reads undergrounds

Maybe Jame Gumb tossed it down the well for Catherine to read.
Post 20 IP   flag post

Post 21 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I would also suggest getting a copy of the Overstreet guide to comic book grading.

Much like last year with the OSPG, I bought my first copy of the grading guide just last week. Always good to have a physical reference, and something that has been historically significant to the hobby.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector FuneralBill5150 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I guess you forgot how McFarlane used to draw MJ!
Post 23 IP   flag post
600839 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?