Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededMemorabiliaPop CultureQuestions

Trading Card Question15970

Collector jgzachary13 private msg quote post Address this user
I know, not a comic/CBCS question, but this is the go-to community.

If anyone works with grading trading cards—specifically Pokémon—how do you flatten curved cards? I feel like newer cards bend more from first opening than older sets.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Ryan4421 private msg quote post Address this user
If you are referring to a bowed curvature then you can just put it under a heavy flat item like a book but be aware it's a product of humidity. You may want to put them in penny sleeved and top loaders but if you are sending for grading the curve is not a factor.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jgzachary13 private msg quote post Address this user
@Ryan4421 thank you for the comment. I did not realize the curvature was not part of the overall grade. Some of these have a significant bow. So, as long as the natural bow does not cause color break or other defect, a bowed card could still reach a 10? I presume that is industry wide, correct (e.g., PSA, Beckett, and CGC)? Thank you again.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Ryan4421 private msg quote post Address this user
You are correct that is an industry standard on card grading. Once it is encapsulated it presses the card flat and the bow is no longer visible and as long as there is no creasing or color break it has no impact on grade. As mentioned it is produced but humidity in the air and nobody keeps their cards in a vacuum so it is viewed as a commonality and accepted.
Post 4 IP   flag post
597875 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?