Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

A short story on a favorite comic buy15924

SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
The scene: A small local comic convention, basically a filled gymnasium full of comic book sellers, Spring 2019 AD.
I had just bought a raw NM ASM 252 for the steep price of $50 and felt I had done well and could leave happy that day. I hadn’t owned this book before and now it was mine and was definitely getting graded.
I was thumbing through a dealer’s longboxes, not finding anything good.
Giving up and about to move on, a fellow came up and tried selling a handful of low grade silver age books to the dealer. I was close enough and have excellent hearing so I couldn’t help but listen to the conversation.
There was 1st Juggernaut, Iron Man 1, others as well. The dealer made a surprisingly low offer (in my mind) and the fellow responded with a higher amount that I thought was still a steal. No deal. So the fellow leaves. I casually abandon the drek boxes to follow. I stop him once out of dealer range and ask about his books.
He had very good books in very low grades. The X-men 12 and Iron Man 1 were the highlights. A Batman 136 with a cool Joker cover was a mid grade, presented well. He promised they were all complete books. Thumbing through them in a busy walkway wasn’t realistic and they looked too fragile to survive such a hasty inspection.
I offered him what he couldn’t get the dealer to give and he happily accepted.
I ended up getting the 3 books mentioned pressed/cleaned and graded and made profit on them over the next 2 years as I slowly sold them off.
I was, finally, in the right place, right time. I hadn’t planned on selling all of them, but I had other books I wanted more.
I still have 3 non-keys raw chilling in my collection.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Nice!!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Nice story and congrats
Post 3 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Why did you use CBCS for Iron Man #1 and CGC for the others?
Post 4 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Why did you use CBCS for Iron Man #1 and CGC for the others?

They were graded at different times and different reasons. I have switched between graders a couple times.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Kudos and thank you for sharing!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh Love hearing stories like that, congrats!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh That is so cool! Congrats on your books. That Batman is pretty nice and I envy you the AS-M.
Post 8 IP   flag post
601386 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?