Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

GoCollect Value Updates15920

KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone probably knows this, but I thought I would say it again.

I received the following message from Collectorz.com in reference to "No Comic Value Updates from GoCollect since Sept 23.

This is Alwin, of Collectorz.com.
We are receiving more and more messages from users of our comic cataloging tools about the lack of comic value updates from GoCollect.
We were hoping this would resolve itself soon, but it didn't... So I figured I'd send you an email to let you know what's up.
No comic value updates from GoCollect since Sept 23
As you probably know, the comic values in your CLZ Comics app, the Comic Connect web-based software or the Comic Collector desktop software are provided through our partnership with GoCollect. We update the values stored in our Core on a daily basis, retrieving new updated values through GoCollect's API endpoint.
Normally, this results in 150 to 300 updated values daily. However, since Sept 23 that number dropped to only a handful each day. Which means most users have not seen any value updates since that day.
Of course, we contacted GoCollect about this, had a Google Meet with them and exchanged many emails. They apologized for the problem and told us that they are migrating to a new back-end system for calculating values and a completely new website. This project has seen substantial delays and they are working as hard as possible to get the new system up-and-running. They asked us to tell all Collectorz.com users that ...:
" ... there may be service interruptions over the next several weeks as we migrate to our new platform ..."
I can assure you, we are just as disappointed about this as you are, but at the moment, there is nothing we can do about this on the CLZ side. All we can do is wait and hope they get their new platform up-and-running ASAP.
In the meantime, we have seen a small increase in the number of daily updates since Oct 5, so let's hope this is a good sign.
TIP: If you want stay up-to-date about this problem, please join our "CLZ Comics" group on Facebook and follow this post.
Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Alwin Hoogerdijk
Collectorz.com / My.CLZ.com / CLZ Help Center / CLZ Online Shop

NOTE:
This email was sent from an unmonitored email address, so it is not possible to use "Reply" to contact us.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@zdoes10 saw this earlier today, ots frustrating for sure.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like CLZ is getting frustrated with GoCollect, but not sure if there is an alternative at this point (possibly GPA).

On a side note, will be interesting to see if CLZ still charges customers the monthly fee even though value updates are currently not working.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
On a side note, will be interesting to see if CLZ still charges customers the monthly fee even though value updates are currently not working.

They will because the monthly fee isn’t just to support the GoCollect values. CLZ is a subscription software so the subscription fee enables all of the software features
Post 4 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
My question is why ask them to pass bad news? Shouldn't they put out a notice or something themselves instead of counting on others to do their job?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Based on gocollect recent FMVs, Moon Knight 1 and Secret Wars 1 and Masters of the Univ. came in about 50% below on Comiclink .
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:

They will because the monthly fee isn’t just to support the GoCollect values. CLZ is a subscription software so the subscription fee enables all of the software features

I purchased the app way back when there were no monthly fees.

All software features (except comic value updates) are already included in that one-time fee.

The only reason I pay the monthly fee is to get comic value updates.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:

I purchased the app way back when there were no monthly fees.

All software features (except comic value updates) are already included in that one-time fee.

The only reason I pay the monthly fee is to get comic value updates.

Then maybe try contacting them to see if they’ll give you an extra month or something if you are so inclined but I doubt this is something they’re going to do a widespread rollout for
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
If they did not care enough to warn you of an update outage, i doubt they care enough to cover a months missing updates.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
I actually thought the email was great - I'd noticed that values hadn't updated in a while, as I tend to update my collection at least a few times a week. This sort of thing happens, and I appreciate receiving affirmative acknowledgement of something being "off" rather than having to go look for info myself whenever I get around to it.

If anything, I was somewhat encouraged to hear that gocollect was doing some site re-work... obviously that can make things worse as well as better, but as a relatively happy gocollect subscriber for years, things like the CLZ integration and fundamental site work are generally good things to see.

It hadn't occurred to me to think about any refunds or anything like that - I've been paying CLZ for what they provide long before the gocollect integration, and am still happy with what is provided.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Sounds like CLZ is getting frustrated with GoCollect, but not sure if there is an alternative at this point (possibly GPA).

With all due respect to both great services, a friendly reminder that y'all are always welcome to come track your collections, for no charge, at my site Nostomania. Advantages: I compute FMV for everything, including separate values for CBCS, Uncertified, and yes those other guys. Why Uncert? Presumably, some of you might want to know what your entire collection is worth. Including... oh, say a very low grade copy of Action Comics #359. Which you're never going to slab, but sales do occur, which drive a FMV, and it is part of your total collection value.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJasmin
Quote:

With all due respect to both great services, a friendly reminder that y'all are always welcome to come track your collections, for no charge, at my site Nostomania. Advantages: I compute FMV for everything, including separate values for CBCS, Uncertified, and yes those other guys. Why Uncert? Presumably, some of you might want to know what your entire collection is worth. Including... oh, say a very low grade copy of Action Comics #359. Which you're never going to slab, but sales do occur, which drive a FMV, and it is part of your total collection value.

COOL! Going there now!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Makes me wonder why I pay a monthly subscription fee to gocollect if the sales are not updating. Maybe time to move on.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Mmanick private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Makes me wonder why I pay a monthly subscription fee to gocollect if the sales are not updating. Maybe time to move on.
I think GPA is still the best
Post 14 IP   flag post
CLZ value updates are still not working for me, despite the official launch of the new GoCollect site yesterday.

Anyone else having issues?
Post 15 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck yes, I have tried three times to update values and still getting no updates.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Is it worth getting covrprice for $60 annually instead of using GoCollect or is their data not as useful?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Cerebus3000 private msg quote post Address this user
I think there might be some value in some of the changes. For example, I do like the Lifetime Sales Trend with 1 yr/90 day/30 day averages. However, there are definitely some things to hate. The prominence of posters and video games, which I have zero interest in, just makes for screen clutter.

For the most part it feels like an upgrade that was rolled out before it was ready. I think it may still be "buggy" at the very least. I have Voltron #1 on my watch list, and it pops up with a recent 9.8 sale in my notifications. However, when I drill down on the data I cannot find that sale anywhere. The most recent sale appears to have been July 28 which I know to be false.

I do hope there is some more polish yet to come.
Post 18 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like window dressing with no substance, designed purely to increase revenue with minimal investment.

I spot checked a few books and know how bad the FMV data was pre-update. It looks just as bad now, only less transparently bad (so more dangerous to the ignorant).

It used to be a decent tool for objective valuation reference, supplemented with direct research. Now it just seems cumbersome and unhelpful (for me).

I will likely stop using it altogether based on the changes.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Update

GoCollect value updates are still not working for me.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I sent them a message 5 days ago asking why they are missing so many ebay completed sales. I think I might be canceling my membership soon. Once I do, I don't think I will ever come back. I was grandfathered in at the 5.99/month. No way I am going to pay $9. I would just go to GPA for that price.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck same dude
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I have to figure that they're reading stuff like this all over the various forums. Is it the same over on the CGC boards?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I hope they get things sorted out. I will have to be patient, GoCollect is more than just values for me. It also contains inventory lists of my books that would be useful if I ever had to try to justify an insurance claim. I also use their lists to track where some of my grading/selling inventory is located at any given time.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia I was a little miffed at first but kept my cool as only about 1 half of my collection was listed on the change over i use that to ascertain where my remaining holes are. But a couple of days ago the remainder of the list showed up.

Also today, i noticed that 1/2 doz comics i am watching had updated sales on the site so I think they are getting there.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@EbayMafia I was a little miffed at first but kept my cool as only about 1 half of my collection was listed on the change over i use that to ascertain where my remaining holes are. But a couple of days ago the remainder of the list showed up.

Same for me, my comics finally show up, but the scans that I submitted did not come across
Post 26 IP   flag post
For those of you who did not get/see this e-mail from Collectorz.com :

This is CLZ Alwin and I am afraid I have some bad news for you today:

Our agreement with GoCollect has ended, so in today's updates all GoCollect-related features have been removed:
• CLZ Comics 6.9 for iOS and Android (now live)
• Comic Connect (changes now live)
• Comic Collector 21.7 (coming up later this week)
Which means no more automatic comic values when you add comics and no more daily updates for values.
We fully understand this is a shock and a disappointment for you all. Trust me, we are very disappointed too, maybe even more so than you are.
In any case, we sincerely apologize for this sudden loss of functionality. Please read on below for possible ways to get compensated or refunded.
But first, let me give you some more background on what happened:
Our agreement with GoCollect, and how it ended
In May 2019 we first got in contact with GoCollect (GC). At the time, they did not have an API for 3rd party access at all. So they quickly whipped up a temporary API for us and we came to the agreement that CLZ could use that API for free for 1 year, or at least until they had set up their real paid API and 3rd party data licensing agreement.
However, that new API and agreement did not materialize, not in 1 year, not in 2 years. Then in May 2021 GC promised us our new API and agreement would arrive early July 2021, after their new website was launched.
Sadly, nothing happened in July... or in August. No new GoCollect website, no new API, no new paid data agreement.
Then suddenly, starting Sept 23, the number of daily value updates dropped from a few hundred to just a handful. And obviously, we started to get lots of complaints from you all about not receiving value updates anymore.
We of course contacted GoCollect. They were not aware of any problems, but told us the lack of updates was "probably caused by their migration to the new website" and that they would look into it.
Then on Oct 5 GC told us to "let our users know that there may be service interruptions over the next several weeks as they migrated to their new platform."
On Oct 13 their statement changed to: "The time investment in making the old API work is going to mean a longer lag than us focusing on getting the new site launched and the new API established. The estimated timeline for our new API is approx 2-4 weeks and I look forward to discussing that partnership opportunity with CLZ next week."
Finally on Oct 15, GoCollect dropped their bomb with us:
They had changed their mind and there was NOT going to be a new paid API for 3rd parties. They told us sorry, but we were welcome to use their upcoming free API when it becomes available... but without any ETA and without any details about what data the free API would contain.
So... we had to make a tough decision...
... wait for the free API, with no ETA and the likely chance that it would be too limited anyway...
Or bite the bullet and stop working with GoCollect completely.
After serious discussions and deliberations, we decided to go for the latter. We decided to remove all GoCollect functionality from our apps and software, resulting in the updates that were released today.
How to get compensated or refunded
Even though most of what happened was beyond our control, we take full responsibility. So we want to offer a generous compensation to anyone who is disappointed about this loss of functionality.
These are the compensation offers to choose from:
• Option 1. get 3 extra months for your current subscription(s)
• Option 2. get 3 free months for any of the other comic cataloging tools
(e.g. try Comic Connect for free for 3 months)
• Option 3. get 3 free months for any other Collectorz.com cataloging tool
(e.g. for movies, books, music and games)
If you want one the above options, contact us here and let us know your CLZ Account name or email address, and which compensation option you want.
• Option 4. stop using our software and get a full refund
Alternatively, if you find that the loss of automatic comic values will make the app or software completely useless to you, contact us here and we will cancel your subscription for you and offer you a full refund of your latest subscription payment.
Of course, if you go for Option 4, that will mean you will have to stop using the app or software and go look for an alternative. However, even after your subscription has been cancelled, you will still have full access to your CLZ Cloud data, so that you can export it.
Q&A: some questions and their answers
Q: Will existing values be removed from my database?
A: No, they will not. All values that were previously downloaded will remain in your database.
Q: What will happen to all the value related fields?
A:All value related fields (like Value, Grade, Grading Company, Slabbed vs Raw, Grader Notes) will stay. They are still an important part of the app.
Q: If I do not download today's updates, will my GoCollect features keep working?
A: No, that won't make a difference, all GoCollect value downloading has also been disabled on our Core server side.
Q: Are you looking for a different 3rd party value provider to replace GoCollect?
A: Yes, we are. No promises and no ETA though. It takes a lot of time to find a partner, set up a collaboration, negotiate an agreement, implement the API, link up their entries with our entries, etc...
Again, we are very sorry to have to bring you this bad news today.
Thanks for your understanding!

Alwin Hoogerdijk
Collectorz.com / My.CLZ.com / CLZ Help Center / CLZ Online Shop
Post 27 IP   flag post
Booooo

I had a feeling that this would happen. Once API’s get changed, some apps never play nice together again.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
So who is there CLZ can work with?

go collect can go screw themselves now.
Post 29 IP   flag post
600891 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?