Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Eclipse9665 private msg quote post Address this user
I am fairly new to slabs. I sent some books to get graded to CBCS and every once in a while I will buy a CGC slab. I recently bought a CGC slab (which was graded/encapsulated in August 2021) and it arrived in good shape. All the corner posts inside the slab (or whatever they are called) are intact and the case itself has no damage.

But the top of the slab is not airtight. It can be slightly pried open.

From what I have been told by other people, that was normal for older slabs but for newer ones they are usually fully sealed (unless they changed again and I don't know about it). Please correct me if I am wrong

I am planning to resell this slab so I am wondering if that slight space at the top of the slab is a problem. The slab is not broken, but the top is unfortunately not perfectly sealed.

Thanks for the advice.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Pics?
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Galen130 It is very hard to show in a picture but here is my best attempt.

Post 3 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry, I should've clarified more. Would you add a pic of the slab...just the front?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector WndrWmn74 private msg quote post Address this user
Sadly, it being CGC, I’m not that shocked. Knowing them you could probably shake it and the book would move around inside of it…which is also NOT supposed to happen. Sorry this happened to you.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@WndrWmn74 No it's actually quite sturdy. It's simply that the top of the slab isn't fully sealed. I can push it down and it'll sort of "click back into place" but then it will unclick itself after a bit or if someone tries to pry it open.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Eclipse9665 it’s normal. I have CGC slab like this and one you can open the side corner to corner. IDK their exact process of sealing, but you’d think this wouldn’t be an issue. I’ve actually pulled a CGC slab part with my fingers for a CBCS CPR.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Don't take it in the bathtub with you, they aren't supposed to be air and watertight

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Bige private msg quote post Address this user
I think that this will be okay to sell and that you shouldn't have an issue. especially if the book doesn't look like it has been tampered with
Post 9 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@Bige It's in the 3rd post?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector JustAThought private msg quote post Address this user
@Eclipse9655 I am suspecting you have not asked CGC about this? I would ask them and see if they have something written that you can reference when you sell.

Seems to me that this is a customer service concern that you could log with them and at least get some response; maybe if its a defect they will fix.

Otherwise, I recommend just be transparent about it when you sell.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I would say that it's fine and to stop playing around with it otherwise you may break one of the tabs then you'll have a totally different problem in your hands.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I actually sold a slab on ebay that I didn't realize had this defect and the buyer was quite put-out by the potential for "alterations" to the slabbed book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
I actually sold a slab on ebay that I didn't realize had this defect and the buyer was quite put-out by the potential for "alterations" to the slabbed book.

They called it a defect?
I think its pretty standard for the CGC style case. I don't have a single one that is sealed all around.
And magazine size are ridiculously loose.

I recently cracked open a MS #5 to get pressed and since the cases are so loose I just slid my finger inside and started cracking away the plastic.

This was the biggest of the 4 or 5 pieces of plastic:

Post 14 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I thought some of the cgc cases were sealed all the way around. As a result, this gave rise to the myriad of slabs with Newton rings since the universal fix of sliding a piece of paper between the case and inner sleeve was no longer an option.

That being said, it was quite common for the older slabs from the cgc to have gaps around the edges. Some of them would be large enough to slip a thin bladed knife in between the two pieces of plastic.

It's odd what some people will call a defect. I got a deal on an ASM 66 in a CBCS holder because the seller thought the rough edges from the seal on the sides was a defect. Oh well, bully for me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
601465 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?